Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeWhy MikeWhy is offline

Default Box joint table saw jig

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
MikeWhy wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message
Phisherman wrote:
The gear mechanism is amazing on this shop-made tablesaw jig. Check
out this video:

http://tinyurl.com/dxdwlu

... thanks for the heads-up!

You SketchUp users will want to grab his SU model of the jig ... an
absolute superb example of creating detailed woodworking _plans_ using
SketchUp.

Check it out ... you will be glad you did.

Careful there Swingman some here will not be able to figure out how to
use Sketchup. ;~)

As though I/we needed taunting... Give credit where credit is due. The
man's an obvious genius, and his workmanship is topnotch. I was about to
remark on replacing the gear drive with a DC servo motor, ground
ballscrew, and linear slides, but I see he already did one with a
stepper. It wouldn't take much to put a microcontroller on it to drive it
without a PC. I have an old AVR Butterfly sitting around unused...

Hmm - if you're going to do that, why not add a second motor to move the
stock over the blade too? Then you could do something else while it makes
the joint for you...

...and if you do that then you might as well add a third motor and build

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/JBot/

so that it can make about any kind corner joint you can think of.

Pull out that Butterfly and a soldering pencil.

Everytime I see a Leigh jig, I think an X-Y table, and a router motor for
the spindle. One of these days, I'll actually do something about it. The
last time this came up, I ended up with a boxful of dozukis and waterstones
instead, which obviated the need (for the time being).

The single axis jig, as here in the box joint cutter, is a special case in
simplicity. It should work equally well on the router table, doing the job
of an Incra-style jig. The full set of Incra templates could reasonably be
stored in flash. The more I think about it, the simpler it seems and the
more generally useful (in the same way that an Incra jig is useful).