Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Staining Boxwood... blotchy...?

Howdy,

I am having some difficulty staining a small piece of
boxwood (a violin chinrest.)

I am using a Behlen NGR stain, but the results (when viewed
from certain angles) are rather blotchy.

Might there be something that I should be applying before
the stain that would make the results more uniform in color?

Thanks for any tips,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.woodworking

No experience with Box but wash coats generally can help, ie a very
thined coat of shellac, or pre-stain conditioner (pretty much the same
thing) before staining. But actually any wood that will blotch is
never really totally fixed by this method.

I think it's best to go with a toned film finish. Just put trans tint
dye into shellac or lacquer. You need to apply very even coats and
control overlaps but go a little lighter than you want and build to
the depth of color you want.

The down side of this method is you start to obscure the wood grain
but with Box I don't think there is much to obscure... right?

On Apr 9, 7:54*pm, Kenneth wrote:
Howdy,

I am having some difficulty staining a small piece of
boxwood (a violin chinrest.)

I am using a Behlen NGR stain, but the results (when viewed
from certain angles) are rather blotchy.

Might there be something that I should be applying before
the stain that would make the results more uniform in color?

Thanks for any tips,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 21:41:59 -0700 (PDT),
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

On Apr 9, 7:54*pm, Kenneth wrote:
[...]

Hi again,

I'll give it a shot, and sincerely appreciate the
suggestion,
--
Kenneth

SemiGloss Paint Looks Blotchy James Harvey Home Repair 10 November 15th 08 03:09 AM
Tung oil came out blotchy Aaron Fude Woodworking 19 September 19th 07 04:23 AM
Old smelling boxwood Bezemsteel Woodturning 9 January 1st 06 03:27 PM
Staining rag? Corey Woodworking 14 February 20th 05 12:32 PM
Blotchy Cherry Stain Frosty Thunder Woodworking 21 November 26th 04 10:46 PM