Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bezemsteel

Default Old smelling boxwood

Hi group,

Although mostly lurking, do I have a question now:
some 100 + year old peaces of boxwood are waiting to be turned into some
form. They do have a strong odour, like you can sometimes in old churches.
Does anyone have an idea if this is caused by age, or can it be some kind of
insecticide? Just to be safe before making al lot of dust...
--
Gerard

Excuse me for bad English, that and spelling mistakes are all put in by my
provider ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
WillR

Bezemsteel wrote:
Hi group,

Although mostly lurking, do I have a question now:
some 100 + year old peaces of boxwood are waiting to be turned into some
form. They do have a strong odour, like you can sometimes in old churches.
Does anyone have an idea if this is caused by age, or can it be some kind of
insecticide? Just to be safe before making al lot of dust...
--
Gerard

Excuse me for bad English, that and spelling mistakes are all put in by my
provider ;-)

Don't use a supposed non-toxicity as a reason to avoid wearing a dust
mask.

Found this link.
http://www.masksnmore.com/3mn95masks.html

If you find masks to be too hot then get this style. Well worth the
time and trouble to prevent breathing problems.

http://www.masksnmore.com/3m85duandpam.html

At $2 a turned bowl -- if you throw the mask away it seems a cheap
additional expense to me. I can use on for several days -- unless I
belt sand a dirty floor -- then it is one use of the mask due to the
heavy contamination of the mask.

---
willr
http://woodwork.pmccl.com

http://www.masksnmore.com/3m85duandpam.html

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Hi Gerard,
I know you asked specifically re _OLD boxwood and I don't know where
your's lurked for a century, but I do know that English Boxwood
bushes/trees have a distinctive odor that's in the nose of the smeller;
either cat **** or old wine. The odor does seem to attract bugs so I
suspect there is greater risk from molds and wood dust than
insecticides.

Your 'smell of old church' description reminds me of the little
Protestant boy's answer when asked by the Catholic lad if they swung
incense in his church: "no we have to take a bath Saturday night and the
church has a big air conditioner".

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Old smelling boxwood (quick correction)

"odor does _NOT_ seem to attract bugs.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bezemsteel

On 31-12-2005 15:54, in article
, "WillR"
wrote:

Bezemsteel wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your reply.
I use a powered air-respirator.
If insecticides come free as gas, then a particle filter isn't any help I
guess. That's why I want to find out if the insecticide is in the wood or
not.
--
Gerard

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Gerard, if you have learned woodturning as well as you have learned
English, this NG will insist that you stop lurking and start posting
regularly.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Bezemsteel" wrote in message
If insecticides come free as gas, then a particle filter isn't any help I
guess. That's why I want to find out if the insecticide is in the wood or
not.

Very good. Someone who realizes the volatiles are the real danger in wood
dust.

What insecticides were in use a hundred years ago? Heavy metals, perhaps.
Organophosphates, the really deadly stuff, was unheard of. Heavy metal
salts are poorly soluble, and are not actively transported by the plant, so
any residual amount would be vanishingly small.

Simple dust mask would do. Now, as to the products of damp and neglect,
they present a greater, though still small possibility of allergic reaction.
The molds and their chemical by-products are the common smell in affected
organic matter.