Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bezemsteel

Default Old smelling boxwood

On 31-12-2005 15:54, in article
, "WillR"
wrote:

Bezemsteel wrote:
Hi group,

Although mostly lurking, do I have a question now:
some 100 + year old peaces of boxwood are waiting to be turned into some
form. They do have a strong odour, like you can sometimes in old churches.
Does anyone have an idea if this is caused by age, or can it be some kind of
insecticide? Just to be safe before making al lot of dust...
--
Gerard

Excuse me for bad English, that and spelling mistakes are all put in by my
provider ;-)

Don't use a supposed non-toxicity as a reason to avoid wearing a dust
mask.

Found this link.
http://www.masksnmore.com/3mn95masks.html

If you find masks to be too hot then get this style. Well worth the
time and trouble to prevent breathing problems.

http://www.masksnmore.com/3m85duandpam.html

At $2 a turned bowl -- if you throw the mask away it seems a cheap
additional expense to me. I can use on for several days -- unless I
belt sand a dirty floor -- then it is one use of the mask due to the
heavy contamination of the mask.

Thank you for your reply.
I use a powered air-respirator.
If insecticides come free as gas, then a particle filter isn't any help I
guess. That's why I want to find out if the insecticide is in the wood or
not.
--
Gerard