Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fixing Air Compressor Screwup

I was originally going to blame this on "a friend," but this one is
mine all mine, and I shouldn't hide.

I have a Bostitch twin tank air compressor, and over the weekend the
drain valves started leaking air.

So, I decided that now would be a good time replace those pain in the
butt valves with something a little friendlier to use. I tried to
remove the worst of the two valves first, but I got the thing so
boogered up that it was worthless for anything other than cutting
myself on. So I took my Dremel to it and cut it flush, then tried to
drill it out, except that my drill bits jump from 3/8" to 1/2", and
the valve opening is somewhere in between.

So I stopped doing that, and now I'm left with a brass-plugged hole
with a 3/8" hole in the middle of it.

1) How can I recover from my screwup and get the drain valve plugged
up again?
2) How can I remove the other valve without completely screwing up
again?

I admit that I got hasty, then stubborn, and finally mad, but I'm
hoping I can either fix this or get it fixed. It's been a good
compressor, and I'm stuck in the middle of a project that I'd like to
finish.

-Nathan
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 7, 8:59*am, N Hurst wrote:
[...]

There is such a beast as an 'Easy-Out'. Look into that. They're
available in sets and as single items.
Posted to rec.woodworking

You've made this pretty difficult. If you don't have a drill
index, I'm sure you don't have easy outs and taps. I suspect that
you wouldn't know how to use them if you did (not a pick, just an
observation based on your statements) and breaking them off would
only make the problem worse.

Your best bet would be to find a tool repair shop or machine shop.
No idea what they would charge. The best choice would be to go to
an outfit that works on compressors, they will be prepared to deal
with the issues and the new parts.

If you insist on trying:
Buy a full drill index.
Buy an assortment of easy outs - I prefer the square ones.
Buy the correct tap, but be prepared to need to drill out for the
next size and the next larger tap.

Try the easy out first. Tap it in firmly. Try to unscrew the
broken nipple. There are nipple extractors, but I've not ever had
much luck with them. If you succeed at this point, you're done
other than buying and installing a ball valve or whatever you
choose.

If it doesn't work (when it doesn't work), drill out the nipple
but do not hurt the threads. There will be the old threads
themselves hung in the hole that will require cleaning up the
threads with the correct tap. Make sure to be VERY careful with
the tap, they are very brittle and if you break it off in the hole
it is much to hard to drill.

Good luck.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"N Hurst" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

So I stopped doing that, and now I'm left with a brass-plugged hole
with a 3/8" hole in the middle of it.

1) How can I recover from my screwup and get the drain valve plugged
up again?

I guessing the plug is a tapered pipe thread. How much metal is left
between the hole you drilled and the threads?

Do you have a small triangular file that will fit in the hole well
enough for you to cut a v-groove in several places? Or maybe a mini
hacksaw blade? Or you could take a piece of a regular hacksaw blade
and grind the back down until it fits in your hole. If you cut or
file a pair of parallel grooves in the hole on one side (being careful
not to go into the tank threads--they're closer to your drilled hole
the deeper in you go), you may be able to use a cold chisel or an old
screwdriver to pound a slice of the brass plug into the 3/8 hole.
That will usually remove enough stress on the sides that you can turn
it out. You might need to collapse the rest in some after you remove
a section. At least brass cuts easily. Even if you can't cut deep
enough to get the plug to collapse, you might still be able to cut a
notch on both sides of your hole deep enough to get a big screwdriver
to jam in there, and then turn the screwdriver blade with a pair of
vicegrips.

2) How can I remove the other valve without completely screwing up again?

Apply a good penetrating oil, like PB-Blaster, not WD40. Let it soak
in for a while. If
the threads are sealed with some sort of pipe compound, this probably
won't make a lot of difference. You could also try heating it up a
little with a paint stripping gun, it might soften things up enough to
release whatever putty or thread sealer they used.

Take your dremel and cut off just the valve handle and stem, but not
the rest of the valve. You should now be able to get a good fitting
socket on the rest of the valve and apply enough force to remove it
(otherwise, the valve style limits you to using either an open end
wrench or some form of pliers, which as you found will only mangle
things).

It will be worth your time to buy a six-point socket that size if you
don't already have one--the brass will be soft enough that a 12-point
socket could still mangle everything up on you. None of this is
guarateed to work, it just improves your odds.

If you still end up having to drill things out, try using left-hand
drill bits. Harbor Freight has them. That way, if the drill catches,
it will at least be applying force in the direction you want it to go
(though I think my set only goes up to 1/4").

--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.woodworking

Glenn Lyford writes:
So I stopped doing that, and now I'm left with a brass-plugged hole
with a 3/8" hole in the middle of it.

1) How can I recover from my screwup and get the drain valve plugged
up again?

How about a nipple extractor?

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Cat/Pi...ctors/655/List

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
Glenn Lyford writes:
So I stopped doing that, and now I'm left with a brass-plugged hole
with a 3/8" hole in the middle of it.

1) How can I recover from my screwup and get the drain valve plugged
up again?

How about a nipple extractor?

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Cat/Pi...ctors/655/List

========
I have seen these before and even used them a couple of times. But I have
never heard them referred to as a nipple extractor. I instinctively moved
my hands to a protective position over my chest when I read it. Looking at
the link, I was relieved that it was referring to the pipe type of nipple,
not the organic kind. Whew!!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Glenn Lyford writes:
So I stopped doing that, and now I'm left with a brass-plugged hole
with a 3/8" hole in the middle of it.

1) How can I recover from my screwup and get the drain valve plugged
up again?

How about a nipple extractor?

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Cat/Pi...ctors/655/List

scott

Nipple extractor??
Just unhook her bra.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote:

Good advice here but I would add one thing. NEVER use an adjustable
(crescent) wrench.

Or as my Dad called them, "Knuckle Buster".

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 7, 3:07*pm, Glenn Lyford wrote:
[...]

I have somewhere between 1/8" and 1/4" of metal, I think, between the
new drain hole and the existing threads. I have a customer service
ticket in with Bostitch to see if they can inform me as to how those
things are attached. If I can get that information, and get the other
one off, I'll be able to use that to work on the mangled one.

Thank you for your excellent post.

As to the uh, nipple extractor, is there a recommended one for this
kind of thing? Is the screw in one better than the square one? Good
lord, I can only imagine the innuendo potential when you're talking
about pound in, screw in, and ridgid pipe extractors. Yeesh. :-)

Thanks yall.

-Nathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:tASCl.2288$Q52.1211
@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

"CW" wrote:

Good advice here but I would add one thing. NEVER use an adjustable
(crescent) wrench.

Or as my Dad called them, "Knuckle Buster".

Lew

My dad called them "redneck speed wrenches"
Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote:

Good advice here but I would add one thing. NEVER use an adjustable
(crescent) wrench.

Or as my Dad called them, "Knuckle Buster".

Lew

My dad called them "redneck speed wrenches"

My dad called them "metric crescent wrenches".

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 00:54:05 +0100, Lee Michaels wrote
(in article ):

I have seen these before and even used them a couple of times. But I have
never heard them referred to as a nipple extractor. I instinctively moved
my hands to a protective position over my chest when I read it. Looking at
the link, I was relieved that it was referring to the pipe type of nipple,
not the organic kind. Whew!!

How are you around ball paen hammers?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote:

Good advice here but I would add one thing. NEVER use an adjustable
(crescent) wrench.
Or as my Dad called them, "Knuckle Buster".

Lew

My dad called them "redneck speed wrenches"

My dad called them "metric crescent wrenches".

--

roundoff wrenches ha ha
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote:

Good advice here but I would add one thing. NEVER use an adjustable
(crescent) wrench.

Or as my Dad called them, "Knuckle Buster".

Lew

My dad called them "redneck speed wrenches"

When I was a kid, my Grandad worked for "Crescent Tool" in Jamestown,
NY. We had at least 2 of every size cresacent wrench, including a
30"er. Of course, this was back when most things were srtill made farm
style with square head nuts & bolts.

Nahmie

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
m...
Good advice here but I would add one thing. NEVER use an adjustable
(crescent) wrench.

Actually a Crescent wrench does accomplish one task remarkably well,
absolutely not what it was intended for.

In the tire business you often see steel wheels with bent rims. I am
talking the part of the rim that the wheel weight clips on to. Hitting a
curb will often bend this part of the wheel/rim and it can easily be
straightened out if you adjust the wrench up snug on to the bend and then
simply bend the rim back out. Works like a charm.

Note, this only works well on standard steel wheels.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Note, this only works well on standard steel wheels.

And bicycle wheels...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

Note, this only works well on standard steel wheels.

And bicycle wheels...

There you go!

Posted to rec.woodworking

When I was a kid, my Grandad worked for "Crescent Tool" in Jamestown,
NY. We had at least 2 of every size cresacent wrench, including a
30"er. Of course, this was back when most things were srtill made
farm
style with square head nuts & bolts.

SFWIW, Along the way I aquired a 10" Cresent wrench that is built
"hell for stout" as the old German used to say.

It must weigh at least twice what the current versions weigh.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

"Bored Borg" wrote in message .com...
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:52:06 +0100, B A R R Y wrote
(in article ):

Leon wrote:

Note, this only works well on standard steel wheels.

And bicycle wheels...

and aluminiminimum saucepan lids what SWMBO has lost her temper with.

How's your head?? BG
P D Q

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bored Borg" wrote in straweb.com...

Leon wrote:

Note, this only works well on standard steel wheels.

And bicycle wheels...

and aluminiminimum saucepan lids what SWMBO has lost her temper with.

How's your head?? *BG
P D Q

No progress to speak of with regards to the busted compressor. I got
one of the screw-in type extractors, but haven't had the time to try
it out yet.

I'm writing in though to post a little bit of a gloat! I was at a
local pharmacy to get a drink where I noticed a small air compressor
looking like it might be in the queue for the dumpster, laying on its
side behind the counter.

I asked about it, and they said that it was broken and they had
replaced it, but that they hadn't gotten directions from above about
what to do with the old one. I told them that I had room in my car for
it, if they wanted to avoid the task of carrying it to the dumpster.
They took my number and asked me to wait for a call or come back
later, so they could have a chance to talk to their management.

So I went back on Friday and came home with a Gast D300X air
compressor. It was built in 1999, but hey, I'm not complaining.

Information he
http://www.gastmfg.com/pdf/tankunits...n-tanksyst.pdf

I can't find any vendors that sell this model online, but Grainger has
just the compressor part for over $400, so I think I did OK. :-)

Is there any other woodworking potential for this little guy, like
running a spray gun or something? I'd hate to waste its potential on
something as basic as running nail guns.

-Nathan
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 20:26:01 -0700 (PDT), nhurst
wrote:

Is there any other woodworking potential for this little guy, like
running a spray gun or something? I'd hate to waste its potential on
something as basic as running nail guns.

With a 2gal tank and 1.5 CFM or less at 30 to 50 psi, I'm afraid you'd
have a pretty low duty cycle running a conventional spray gun. Maybe
OK for small batch spraying.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

nhurst wrote:

Is there any other woodworking potential for this little guy, like
running a spray gun or something? I'd hate to waste its potential on
something as basic as running nail guns.

Given the small size, you MIGHT be able to run a sprayer for model
airplanes, otherwise, it's probably nail gun duty time.

Lew

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Is there any other woodworking potential for this little guy, like
running a spray gun or something? I'd hate to waste its potential on
something as basic as running nail guns.

With a 2gal tank and 1.5 CFM or less at 30 to 50 psi, I'm afraid you'd
have a pretty low duty cycle running a conventional spray gun. Maybe
OK for small batch spraying.

Sounds about perfect for an airbrush though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 12, 12:02*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
nhurst wrote:
Is there any other woodworking potential for this little guy, like
running a spray gun or something? I'd hate to waste its potential on
something as basic as running nail guns.

Given the small size, you MIGHT be able to run a sprayer for model
airplanes, otherwise, it's probably nail gun duty time.

Lew

Lew

Some of the documentation claims that the motor is rated for
continuous duty. Does that mean I could add another, larger tank and
get some use out of it?

-Nathan
Posted to rec.woodworking

"nhurst" wrote:

Some of the documentation claims that the motor is rated for

continuous duty. Does that mean I could add another, larger tank and
get some use out of it?

Not really.

All you would accomplish is that it would take longer to come up to
system pressure and as long as you consumed less than you generated,
you could operate continuously.

If you consume more than you generate, you will be able to operate
longer before having to stop and wait to catch up, but you still have
to wait.

There ain't no free lunch.

If it were mine, I'd plug it in, if it worked, great.

If it doesn't, how fast can you get to the dumpster?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 12, 12:52*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"nhurst" wrote:
Some of the documentation claims that the motor is rated for

continuous duty. Does that mean I could add another, larger tank and
get some use out of it?

Not really.

All you would accomplish is that it would take longer to come up to
system pressure and as long as you consumed less than you generated,
you could operate continuously.

If you consume more than you generate, you will be able to operate
longer before having to stop and wait to catch up, but you still have
to wait.

There ain't no free lunch.

If it were mine, I'd plug it in, if it worked, great.

If it doesn't, how fast can you get to the dumpster?

Lew

Oh it works, I was just pondering what future use it might have in my
shop.

I realized last night that one good use for it might be to some of
those vacuum clamps. I bet it would work really well for that.
Otherwise, I'll stick it out at the project house on the old family
property so we don't have to lug the big one out there when we get a
round toit. :-)

-Nathan