Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dulling a finish

I used Rustoleum 'Stone' finish on a severly bashed up 870 shotgun and it
was great! Good grip and nice blend of colors. I decided taht since this
is a tool for the woods I would use satin, Minwax polyvinyl acrylic to give
a tougher finish. Well, now I have a nice, slightly shiny, not as good as
it was, shotgun. Is there any product or method that will knock off the
gloss? I have seen polys dull when when touched while slightly tacky. Have
any of you tried it. I haven't, yet, so that I don't mess with the
potential for a better method. Anything... first day of spring gobbler is
April 25.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"C & E" wrote in message
I used Rustoleum 'Stone' finish on a severly bashed up 870 shotgun and it
was great! Good grip and nice blend of colors. I decided taht since this
is a tool for the woods I would use satin, Minwax polyvinyl acrylic to give
a tougher finish. Well, now I have a nice, slightly shiny, not as good as
it was, shotgun. Is there any product or method that will knock off the
gloss? I have seen polys dull when when touched while slightly tacky.
Have any of you tried it. I haven't, yet, so that I don't mess with the
potential for a better method. Anything... first day of spring gobbler is
April 25.

A touch of paste wax applied with steel wool should it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 5, 8:55*pm, "C & E" wrote:
I used Rustoleum 'Stone' finish on a severly bashed up 870 shotgun and it
was great! *Good grip and nice blend of colors. *I decided taht since this
is a tool for the woods I would use satin, Minwax polyvinyl acrylic to give
a tougher finish. *Well, now I have a nice, slightly shiny, not as good as
it was, shotgun. *Is there any product or method that will knock off the
gloss? *I have seen polys dull when when touched while slightly tacky. *Have
any of you tried it. *I haven't, yet, so that I don't mess with the
potential for a better method. *Anything... first day of spring gobbler is
April 25.

A few minutes with some 000 or 0000 steel wool will knock the sheen
right off.

You would have been better off to leave the stone finish alone as it
is meant to be a complete, high build, high solid finish in itself.

Interesting finish choice for a shotgun...

You can strip that stuff off next year and put on either GUNKOTE or
DURACOAT.

Both are epoxy finishes. Both have their own strong properties. Both
are almost impervious to oil and solvents when properly applied. This
solvent resistance will prove to be most helpful when cleaning or
maintaining your guns.

IIRC, the 870 is a pumper, so you should able to take it apart and
take off the wood parts (if you don't have the long barreled full
choker) to put it in your oven. If you could get the gun in the oven,
I would use GUNKOTE.

The guys on the custom knives forum say DURACOAT is just about as
good, and no baking. On the firearms forum they claim it works as
well as the GUNKOTE. There is a nice FAQ on this site:
http://www.lauerweaponry.com

I don't see how a non baked finish can be as hard as a baked finish,
but I haven't used either personally.

Good luck on your project!

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 22:55:56 -0400, "C & E"
wrote:

...Is there any product or method that will knock off the gloss?...

I've had pretty good luck using those plastic abrasive cleaning pads
(3M ???) from the grocery store to knock the gloss off finishes. They
come in several "grits" from green (coarse) through blue to white
(very fine). Requires a firm touch, but they don't leave steel fiber
residue behind.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"MikeWhy" wrote:

"C & E" wrote in message
I used Rustoleum 'Stone' finish on a severly bashed up 870 shotgun and it
was great! Good grip and nice blend of colors. I decided taht since this
is a tool for the woods I would use satin, Minwax polyvinyl acrylic to give
a tougher finish. Well, now I have a nice, slightly shiny, not as good as
it was, shotgun. Is there any product or method that will knock off the
gloss? I have seen polys dull when when touched while slightly tacky.
Have any of you tried it. I haven't, yet, so that I don't mess with the
potential for a better method. Anything... first day of spring gobbler is
April 25.

A touch of paste wax applied with steel wool should it.

Go to a hobby shop where the sell Testors model paints and get a bottle
(or spray can) of Dull Coat or a Matt finish. It will keep your current
finish intact and reduce the shine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Houseman wrote:
Go to a hobby shop where the sell Testors model paints and get a bottle
(or spray can) of Dull Coat or a Matt finish. It will keep your current
finish intact and reduce the shine.

You can also find that at an art supply store, and possibly Joann fabrics,
Michaels, or other places you have to wonder around in looking for manly
stuff while your wife is shopping.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Doug Houseman wrote:
Go to a hobby shop where the sell Testors model paints and get a
bottle (or spray can) of Dull Coat or a Matt finish. It will keep your
current finish intact and reduce the shine.

You can also find that at an art supply store, and possibly Joann fabrics,
Michaels, or other places you have to wonder around in looking for manly
stuff while your wife is shopping.

If some enterprising soul were to open up a "Leroy's Art Supplies and
Beer Emporium" then we wouldn't have to deal with this embarrassing
situation.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
You can also find that at an art supply store, and possibly Joann
fabrics,
Michaels, or other places you have to wonder around in looking for manly
stuff while your wife is shopping.

If some enterprising soul were to open up a "Leroy's Art Supplies and
Beer Emporium" then we wouldn't have to deal with this embarrassing
situation.

LMAO! I've had that similar sentiment for years.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 03:55:56 +0100, C & E wrote
(in article ):

I used Rustoleum 'Stone' finish on a severly bashed up 870 shotgun and it
was great! Good grip and nice blend of colors. I decided taht since this
is a tool for the woods I would use satin, Minwax polyvinyl acrylic to give
a tougher finish. Well, now I have a nice, slightly shiny, not as good as
it was, shotgun. Is there any product or method that will knock off the
gloss? I have seen polys dull when when touched while slightly tacky. Have
any of you tried it. I haven't, yet, so that I don't mess with the
potential for a better method. Anything... first day of spring gobbler is
April 25.

Barkeeper's Friend or if not, "Vim" if you have it in your neck of the woods
- a kitchen scouring powder that polishes down to a matt finish.
Basically pumice powder.

I think the BF has oxalic acid in it and the Vim types have a bleaching
agent.

What's wrong with wrapping the stock in black duct tape? It covers up the saw
marks when you saw the barrels off, too...

Oops...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Apr 5, 8:55 pm, "C & E" wrote:
[...]

snipGood luck on your project!

Robert

Yep, that good 'ole hinde sight kicking in. I wanted added durability. The
look is quite good - many
complements that, like you, weren't expecting it to look good. To tell you
the truth, I had my doubts as I
tore it apart and prepped the wood for primer and paint. Why so cheap? The
gun was a junker that was
given to me. Terrible, economy stock and the previous guy's grandfather
slid it into the rafters after a morning
hunt and promptly passed away. The gun laid there for 25 years and was
severely pitted inside and out. I got
the better part of it sanded out. The cold blue is terrible so I'll be
tearing it down again after spring gobbler
season and may just strip this off. Thanks, Robert! Chuck

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Houseman wrote:

Go to a hobby shop where the sell Testors model paints and get a bottle
(or spray can) of Dull Coat or a Matt finish. It will keep your current
finish intact and reduce the shine.

Dull Cote will seriously damage Polycylic, as Dull Cote is a lacquer.

Dull Cote over the Rustoleum would have worked pretty well, and it is
nice and flat.
Posted to rec.woodworking

The WD-40 website says that it's a good product for dulling a
finish....can't say I've tried it though, it might be worth giving it a
shot. Mmmm Gobbler

.com...