Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default table saw motor binding electrical smoke resistance noise jerky....how BAD

My table saw motor has gone bad. It was like the blade was binding on
something, and came to a fast stop when switched off. Then there was
significant electrical smoke I had to air out. I unplugged it for a day.
Now when I plug it in and start it it seems as if there is a series of jerky
electrical resistance spurts, accompanied by a pulsating noise. Like the
motor is firing against itself - resisting its own powered rotation by
sending quick spurts of electricity power in the wrong direction. Rough,
brief, jerky rotation.

It came with a complete manual listing all parts including a full motor, but
also has a separate exploded parts illustration of just the motor.
Unfortunately it's out of warranty. So can I suspect to replace any parts,
without having to replace the whole motor?

table saw motor binding electrical smoke resistance noise jerky....how BAD

Mastercraft 55-6886-6 10" 15A 120V 60Hz 3.0 hp max 5000 rpm no-load speed

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 2009-04-04, bentley wrote:
My table saw motor has gone bad. It was like the blade was binding on
something, and came to a fast stop when switched off. Then there was
significant electrical smoke I had to air out. I unplugged it for a day.
Now when I plug it in and start it it seems as if there is a series of jerky
electrical resistance spurts, accompanied by a pulsating noise. Like the
motor is firing against itself - resisting its own powered rotation by
sending quick spurts of electricity power in the wrong direction. Rough,
brief, jerky rotation.

Sounds like might be worn/bad brushes or commutator. How deep are you willing
to go to save a buck? May be best to jes replace motor.

nb
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

bentley wrote:
My table saw motor has gone bad. It was like the blade was binding
on
something, and came to a fast stop when switched off. Then there
was
significant electrical smoke I had to air out. I unplugged it for a
day.
Now when I plug it in and start it it seems as if there is a series
of jerky
electrical resistance spurts, accompanied by a pulsating noise.
Like the
motor is firing against itself - resisting its own powered rotation
by
sending quick spurts of electricity power in the wrong direction.
Rough,
brief, jerky rotation.

Congratulations, you get to help jump start the economy by purchasing
a replacement motor.

By the time you price out a replacement universal motor, you may find
a new saw price to be just as attractive.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 4, 5:14*pm, "bentley" wrote:
[...]

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...LDER%3C%3Efold...

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your mishap.

Unfortunately, your table saw is a proud member of the "disposable
tool" category which pollutes the marketplace nowadays. It's designed
for occasional use and like any disposable product, it will be much
easier and cheaper to trash this one and buy a new one... until the
next one fails too... and so the wheel of frenetic consumption can
keep rolling...

If you want a portable table saw, you should look for the Bosch 4100.
At least, the parts will be available for quite a while and you can
expect a better performance out of the saw. If mobility is not
important, you can find a decent contractor saw for around 500$ brand
new. In fact, the Ridgid TS3660 is getting a lot of attention and it
sells for 600$. It comes in special every nom and then for 499$. This
is not to mention that Kijiji or Craiglist may have a much better saw
on the used market...

Hope this helps,

Ben
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

bentley wrote:
[...]

If it is belt drive, have you taken off the belt to verify the motor is the
problem?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"bentley" wrote in message
news
[...]

*You may be able to save some bucks and have it rebuilt at an electric motor
repair shop. Check the yellow pages. If nothing else they can tell you
what is wrong with it. You might want to add thermal protection onto the
motor control of your saw to prevent future damage to the motor.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"bentley" wrote in message
news
[...]

The hard part is, putting the smoke back in.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 4/4/2009 1:29 PM notbob spake thus:

On 2009-04-04, bentley wrote:

My table saw motor has gone bad. It was like the blade was binding
on something, and came to a fast stop when switched off. Then there
was significant electrical smoke I had to air out. I unplugged it
for a day. Now when I plug it in and start it it seems as if there is
a series of jerky electrical resistance spurts, accompanied by a
pulsating noise. Like the motor is firing against itself - resisting
its own powered rotation by sending quick spurts of electricity power
in the wrong direction. Rough, brief, jerky rotation.

Sounds like might be worn/bad brushes or commutator. How deep are you
willing
to go to save a buck? May be best to jes replace motor.

Brushes for a *table saw motor*?

Just goes to prove the value of advice you get from Usenet ...

Well, it could be a direct drive universal motor...
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

bentley wrote:
[...]

Does the motor have capacitor? It may be shot.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

Brushes for a *table saw motor*?

Just goes to prove the value of advice you get from Usenet ...

Ah yes, some small saws with universal motors have brushes. Glad you were
able to learn something from Usenet today.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 2009-04-04, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Brushes for a *table saw motor*?

Just goes to prove the value of advice you get from Usenet ...

I will admit ignorance of "table saw motor". Are you saying there are no
brushes in universal single phase AC motors? I'm sure Milwaukee would love
to know this.

nb
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

There is a brush assembly part number. What does this mean? (if anything
different)

There is no belt. The blade is bolted to the shaft.

There seems to be no capacitor, but a circuit breaker / rocker switch. I
cleaned this circuit breaker / rocker switch out once as it has stopped
working, but I can't see this being the problem this time. Could it?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 4/4/2009 3:02 PM Doug Winterburn spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Brushes for a *table saw motor*?

Just goes to prove the value of advice you get from Usenet ...

Well, it could be a direct drive universal motor...

You mean like on one of them cheap "motorized" saws? I thought the O.P.
had a *real* table saw. So yeah, I guess it could have brushes, but not
likely.

Hi,
Mastercraft is maybe even lesser than Sears tools.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Brushes for a *table saw motor*?

Just goes to prove the value of advice you get from Usenet.

5,000 RPM should have given you the clue this is a universal motor and
thus has brushes.

So much for your electrical knowledge.

Lew

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

In ,
Lew Hodgett dropped this bit of wisdom:
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Brushes for a *table saw motor*?

Just goes to prove the value of advice you get from Usenet.

5,000 RPM should have given you the clue this is a universal motor and
thus has brushes.

So much for your electrical knowledge.

Lew

Just shows to go you ---A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
And, some times, it is the littlest minds that tend to dump on others the most.

P D Q

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 2009-04-04, bentley wrote:

My table saw motor has gone bad. It was like the blade was binding on
something, and came to a fast stop when switched off. Then there was
significant electrical smoke I had to air out. I unplugged it for a day.
Now when I plug it in and start it it seems as if there is a series of jerky
electrical resistance spurts, accompanied by a pulsating noise. Like the
motor is firing against itself - resisting its own powered rotation by
sending quick spurts of electricity power in the wrong direction. Rough,
brief, jerky rotation.

Sounds like might be worn/bad brushes or commutator. How deep are you willing
to go to save a buck? May be best to jes replace motor.

Brushes for a *table saw motor*?

Just goes to prove the value of advice you get from Usenet ...

Yes, many of the 'newer' cheap ones use brushes. Not surprising at
all.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 2009-04-04, bentley wrote:

My table saw motor has gone bad. *It was like the blade was binding on
something, and came to a fast stop when switched off. *Then there was
significant electrical smoke I had to air out. *I unplugged it for a day.
Now when I plug it in and start it it seems as if there is a series of jerky
electrical resistance spurts, accompanied by a pulsating noise. *Like the
motor is firing against itself - resisting its own powered rotation by
sending quick spurts of electricity power in the wrong direction. *Rough,
brief, jerky rotation.

Sounds like might be worn/bad brushes or commutator. *How deep are you willing
to go to save a buck? *May be best to jes replace motor.

Brushes for a *table saw motor*?

Just goes to prove the value of advice you get from Usenet ...

Yes, many of the 'newer' cheap ones use brushes. Not surprising at
all.- Hide quoted text -

They may be full of sawdust?

Jimmie
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 2009-04-04, bentley wrote:

My table saw motor has gone bad. It was like the blade was binding on
something, and came to a fast stop when switched off. Then there was
significant electrical smoke I had to air out. I unplugged it for a day.
Now when I plug it in and start it it seems as if there is a series of jerky
electrical resistance spurts, accompanied by a pulsating noise. Like the
motor is firing against itself - resisting its own powered rotation by
sending quick spurts of electricity power in the wrong direction. Rough,
brief, jerky rotation.

Sounds like might be worn/bad brushes or commutator. How deep are you willing
to go to save a buck? May be best to jes replace motor.

Brushes for a *table saw motor*?

Just goes to prove the value of advice you get from Usenet ...

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Whoops; missed that part of the post. So it does have brushes.

Yes.

Saw is a "Kung FU Machinerty" Special.

I bought one for $50 in the mid '80s to throw in back of car for use
at the boat yard.

If you get 2 years, consider yourself lucky.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Sounds as if the proper replacement procedure would be, to
paraphrase an old musical-instrument repairperson acquaintance of
mine:

1. Remove sawblade.
2. Slide new saw under sawblade.

More than one person, including myself, has already made that
observation.

Lew

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 2009-04-04, bentley wrote:

[...]

So true, your usnet advice is worthless again.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Whoops; missed that part of the post. So it does have brushes.

Yes.

Saw is a "Kung FU Machinerty" Special.

I bought one for $50 in the mid '80s to throw in back of car for use
at the boat yard.

If you get 2 years, consider yourself lucky.

Sounds as if the proper replacement procedure would be, to paraphrase an
old musical-instrument repairperson acquaintance of mine:

1. Remove sawblade.
2. Slide new saw under sawblade.

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: *One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)

My mid size (but not old monster, such as one sees in lumber yrads!)
bench saw has a separate one HP AC induction motor hanging out the
back using the weight of the motor to tension the drive belt. The step
up ratio, is, I think, about 2.5 to 1
Motor has thermal reset; some sort of starting contacts/winding AFIK;
no capacitor. It is connected in 230 volt mode. Was fortunate to
eventually find a double pole switch which have mounted on saw base.
Fortunately never had to have that motor apart.
But just curious? Do some of those all-in-one motorized bench saws
have a brush motor (direct drive) buried under the saw deck. I guess
in that case the saw blade is mounted directly on the motor arbor?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"stan" wrote in message
But just curious? Do some of those all-in-one motorized bench saws
have a brush motor (direct drive) buried under the saw deck. I guess
in that case the saw blade is mounted directly on the motor arbor?

Yes, the low end saws like the Craftsman for $129 are like that. The have a
lot of limitations, but for many, they get the job done cheaply.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

I have one of them sears specials here, that some one gave us, had to
replace a cap. on it to get it to run, but pay attention to setting the
fence parallel to the blade, and it makes pretty good cutsm been doing some
remodeling work here, its not as good as my other one at the shop at my dads
house, but it beats having to run back and forth, and it can be moved pretty
easy, since it does not have a cast iron top, no I know its not a $1500
cabinet saw, but for remodeling work, its pretty good, would have love one
of them fold up and roll away saws.
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"stan" wrote in message
But just curious? Do some of those all-in-one motorized bench saws
have a brush motor (direct drive) buried under the saw deck. I guess
in that case the saw blade is mounted directly on the motor arbor?

Yes, the low end saws like the Craftsman for $129 are like that. The have
a lot of limitations, but for many, they get the job done cheaply.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

+++++++++++++++++++++++

What you have might be a repulsion-induction motor. Alas, they were
discontinued in the mid 1950's.
And, my saw has such a motor.

Jim

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Next time you go the store, turn any table saw that costs less
than 300 upside down. They are basically a skilsaw (not
necessarily Skilsaw brand) bolted upside down in there. Yes, they
have brushes.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

But just curious? Do some of those all-in-one motorized bench
saws
have a brush motor (direct drive) buried under the saw deck. I
guess
in that case the saw blade is mounted directly on the motor
arbor?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Us few drummers on here all know that using brushes is quieter... and then
started using table saws where brushes means ungodly loud. I couldn't believe
the difference switching from a tabletop brushed motor TS to a "proper"
induction motor. Serious danger of injury from not hearing the motor running.

As to yer busted motor. I''d rip it out and drag it along to the local
washing machine repair place (seriously) and get 'em to check it out and
quite for a recondition/exchange if faulty. They may have brushes to fit or
have a rewind/recondition service on the premises or be able to recommend
their pet service if not. These guys handle fancy multispeed oscillating
reversing motors all day. A TS motor will be child's play for 'em.
If you know of a motor rewinders, try them first, or as well. They'll be able
to tell you if there's a fault to be fixed.

If they don't have to dismantle a machine there'll probably be no charge for
a quick check, or maybe a nominal fee whereas taking the whole thing
somewhere for a strip and check will cost you £25. GBP ?45.00 USD just to
look at it.

Then it's a judgment call - is the repair price worth it?

when you dismantle, the saw may have a left-handed thread (motor on your
right, normal operating position) - or a right handed thread if it's on the
operator's left.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 4/4/2009 5:35 PM ransley spake thus:

On Apr 4, 6:55 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Brushes for a *table saw motor*?

Just goes to prove the value of advice you get from Usenet ...

So true, your usnet advice is worthless again.

At least I can admit when I'm wrong, something I've *never* seen you do
(and boy, are you wrong a lot of the time!).

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Apr 5, 7:18*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 4/4/2009 5:35 PM ransley spake thus:

On Apr 4, 6:55 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Brushes for a *table saw motor*?

Just goes to prove the value of advice you get from Usenet ...

So true, your usnet advice is worthless again.

At least I can admit when I'm wrong, something I've *never* seen you do
(and boy, are you wrong a lot of the time!).

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)

Really, so post them I dont remember any, and your still an ass to
keep it up.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

It came with a complete manual listing all parts including a full motor, but
also has a separate exploded parts illustration of just the motor.
Unfortunately it's out of warranty. So can I suspect to replace any parts,
without having to replace the whole motor?

table saw motor binding electrical smoke resistance noise jerky....how BAD

If there was smoke coming out of the motor, the motor is shot.
PERIOD.
One of the windings burned up....

Maybe you can get replacement parts for that motor, or just a new
motor. Unfortunately that generally costs as much as a new saw (or
other tool). But some companies might be cheaper.

Another option would be to take the motor to an electric motor
rebuilding shop. Maybe they can rewind the bad windings much cheaper.
All you can do is ask them for an estimate.