Darren Forward

Default Electrical resistance

Hi with the power turned off,

What should the DC resistance between L and N be.

I have 11 Ohms.

Many thanks

Darren

Stefek Zaba

Darren Forward wrote:
Hi with the power turned off,

I should hope so...

What should the DC resistance between L and N be.

Think about it.

If you've properly disconnected all loads on the relevant circuit - it
should be 'very high'; multiple megaohms. If there's, for example, one
lightbulb across the L and N - pretty damn low (well below the
resistance you might calculate for the current it draws when lit - cold
resistance is up to 10 times lower than resistance when operating).

I have 11 Ohms.

Super. Now put away that meter before you do it (or yourself) any damage.
Darren Forward

"Stefek Zaba" wrote in message
Darren Forward wrote:
Hi with the power turned off,

I should hope so...

What should the DC resistance between L and N be.

Think about it.

If you've properly disconnected all loads on the relevant circuit - it
should be 'very high'; multiple megaohms. If there's, for example, one
lightbulb across the L and N - pretty damn low (well below the resistance
you might calculate for the current it draws when lit - cold resistance is
up to 10 times lower than resistance when operating).

I have 11 Ohms.

Super. Now put away that meter before you do it (or yourself) any damage.

Thanks for that,
There's nothing connected across it apart from the connection to the CU.

Thanks
Darren

John Rumm

Darren Forward wrote:

There's nothing connected across it apart from the connection to the CU.

And have you opened the micro circuit breaker for the circuit at the CU
as well as just turning off the main switch? If not you will be
measuring the resistance of other circuits on the CU.

--
Cheers,

John.

Darren Forward

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Darren Forward wrote:

There's nothing connected across it apart from the connection to the CU.

And have you opened the micro circuit breaker for the circuit at the CU as
well as just turning off the main switch? If not you will be measuring the
resistance of other circuits on the CU.

--
Cheers,

John.

Thanks

That explained it I pulled all the fuses and got good results.

Thanks

Darren

John Rumm

Darren Forward wrote:

That explained it I pulled all the fuses and got good results.

Jolly good...

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly were you trying to find out in
the first place?

--
Cheers,

John.

Tim S

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:13:52 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

Darren Forward wrote:

That explained it I pulled all the fuses and got good results.

Jolly good...

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly were you trying to find out in
the first place?

Insulation test?

To the OP: If so, it ought to be in the megohm range minimum to pass.
Don't know what the current required figure is exactly (2megohms come to
mind but I've seen 0.5 M ohm quoted too??).

But testing with a regular multimeter only give a rough check and won't
show up failing insulation - for that you need a tester that applies a
high voltage (500V or something in that order).

Mind you, if your multimeter says, for example, 100k ohms, I'd be turning
the circuits off pretty quick(!)

Here's a random link to Megger's testers for interest,

http://www.electro-meters.com/AVO/AV...ionTesters.htm

Timbo
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Tim S wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, what exactly were you trying to find out
in the first place?

Insulation test?

You're hardly doing much of an insulation test with all the fuses removed.

--
*Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
John Rumm

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You're hardly doing much of an insulation test with all the fuses removed.

I always thought it was safest to disconnect the circuit from the CU
before doing an insulation test on it... let alone take out the fuse / MCB!

--
Cheers,

John.

Owain

"Darren Forward" wrote
| Hi with the power turned off,
| What should the DC resistance between L and N be.
| I have 11 Ohms.

You have about 20A or 4.8kW of load somewhere on the circuit.

Owain

Lurch

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:13:47 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
strung together this:

In article ,
Tim S wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, what exactly were you trying to find out
in the first place?

Insulation test?

You're hardly doing much of an insulation test with all the fuses removed.

You are, you're meant to remove all circuits from the DB and test them
individually.
--

SJW
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Lurch wrote:
Insulation test?

You're hardly doing much of an insulation test with all the fuses
removed.

You are, you're meant to remove all circuits from the DB and test them
individually.

Well, yes, but not across the input to the CU as the OP was doing. All
that does is test the insulation of the CU and tails.

Downstream of the fuses, yes.

--
*All men are idiots, and I married their King.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Stephen Dawson

Tim S wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, what exactly were you trying to find out
in the first place?

Insulation test?

You're hardly doing much of an insulation test with all the fuses removed.

You are, you're meant to remove all circuits from the DB and test them
individually.
--

SJW

Not strictly correct. You can test the whole installtion in one go if
required, and if the resistnce is above 2MR then no further test is
required. If less than 2MR than individual circuits should be checked and
recored and a value of 0.5MR and above are a pass.

Regards

Steve Dawson

Lurch

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 23:01:29 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
strung together this:

but not across the input to the CU as the OP was doing.

Ah, missed that bit. That's not the way to do it unless you know what
you're doing.
--

SJW

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Electrical Wiring FAQ (Part 1 of 2) Myron Samila Home Repair 1 March 15th 04 07:27 PM
Overhead electrical service to a storage shed Timothy J. Trace Home Repair 3 December 3rd 03 04:21 AM
Installing Electrical Outlet In Sink Cabinet Matty Home Repair 0 August 27th 03 03:08 PM