Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rotary table binding.

Have an old palmgren table:

http://gallery.intlwaters.com/displa...lbum=323&pos=0

It binds up when I clamp something to it using the "T" slots and finger
clamps. It's better if I don't tighten the clamps much.

Apart from the obvious is there any way to keep the top from warping?

Terry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 2, 5:28 pm, "Terry Keeley" tkee(no wrote:
Have an old palmgren table:

http://gallery.intlwaters.com/displa...lbum=323&pos=0

It binds up when I clamp something to it using the "T" slots and finger
clamps. It's better if I don't tighten the clamps much.

Apart from the obvious is there any way to keep the top from warping?

Terry

Hi, Terry.
I am surprised at the table warping enough to cause problems. Have you
determined how much clamp force it takes to notice the binding? I was
going to suggest you check for a cracked table, but the unit in the
picture looks so clean, you could easily spot a crack. However, just
to be sure, see if you can gather some iron/steel filings and use them
and a big magnet to see if you can spot any cracks in the "T" slots.

How recently have you disassembled the table to clean it? Another
possibility is the lock is hanging up.

I have a very used rotary table that has a broken outer corner of one
"T" slot and I didn't do it, so I know that sometimes they get over
torqued!

Let us know what you find.

Best regards,
Paul in Central Oregon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for the reply.

I would say it starts to bind at about half the torque I would put on a
clamp that was used on the main table, I'd definately like to tighten it
some more as I had a piece move on me tonight.

I've just taken it completely apart and cleaned, inspected and re-assembled
it, it's in great shape...

Hi, Terry.
I am surprised at the table warping enough to cause problems. Have you
determined how much clamp force it takes to notice the binding? I was
going to suggest you check for a cracked table, but the unit in the
picture looks so clean, you could easily spot a crack. However, just
to be sure, see if you can gather some iron/steel filings and use them
and a big magnet to see if you can spot any cracks in the "T" slots.

How recently have you disassembled the table to clean it? Another
possibility is the lock is hanging up.

I have a very used rotary table that has a broken outer corner of one
"T" slot and I didn't do it, so I know that sometimes they get over
torqued!

Let us know what you find.

Best regards,
Paul in Central Oregon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 3, 12:02 am, "Terry Keeley" tkee(no wrote:

I see a very clean Clausing mill in there too. Do you have an original
drawbar and if so, what does the top end look like? Mine came with a
long hex-head bolt and no cap at the top. I made a screw-on cap to pop
the drawbar loose rather than hammer on it and the bearings.

jw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ya, that was a restoration I did a few years back, love the mill!

I ordered an original draw bar from them, has a champhered nut that tightens
against the top of the spindle and another that's pinned so you can thread
it into whatever needs to be held.

You still have to hammer on it to realease it...

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 3, 12:02 am, "Terry Keeley" tkee(no wrote:

I see a very clean Clausing mill in there too. Do you have an original
drawbar and if so, what does the top end look like? Mine came with a
long hex-head bolt and no cap at the top. I made a screw-on cap to pop
the drawbar loose rather than hammer on it and the bearings.

jw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Keeley" tkee(no wrote in message
[...]

I am certainly no expert on this but I would look carefully at the clamping
geometry. Perhaps use some shims/spacers and try to get the pull-up and
push-down forces as close together as possible or otherwise minimize the
warping forces.

Don Young

Rotary table Gerry Metalworking 4 February 25th 06 10:37 PM
Rotary table question.... [email protected] Metalworking 14 February 24th 05 04:08 AM
Bison rotary table Charles Morrill Metalworking 0 November 21st 04 02:58 AM
Rotary table ID? tokarev Metalworking 1 May 20th 04 01:57 AM
Rotary table help. Todd Rich Metalworking 1 October 6th 03 03:52 PM