Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Used Delta 15" Planer

Hi All,
I haven't seen this planer, but I've emailed the seller for more
pics. Comments welcome, as to anything I should inspect closely, if I
go check it out. Think this price is reasonable?
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/tls/1053286282.html
Thanks.
Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Sonny wrote:
Hi All,
I haven't seen this planer, but I've emailed the seller for more
pics. Comments welcome, as to anything I should inspect closely, if I
go check it out. Think this price is reasonable?
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/tls/1053286282.html

Price seems reasonable, if it's in the condition the seller claims. Run a few
boards through it -- the more highly figured the better -- and check for
tearout and snipe.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 18:04:04 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

Hi All,
I haven't seen this planer, but I've emailed the seller for more
pics. Comments welcome, as to anything I should inspect closely, if I
go check it out. Think this price is reasonable?
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/tls/1053286282.html

Looks like a Delta DC-380, 15" planer. If it is, that's a great price.
I have one. Definitely get it if it looks good and works well.

It also looks very similar to the older DC-33 which is a 13" planer.
Still heavy duty, but that can be a big 2" and I don't know if it
would be worth it. If it looks good and works well, probably go for
it.

Either is a big step up from a lunchbox.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article
, Sonny
wrote:
Hi All,
I haven't seen this planer, but I've emailed the seller for more
pics. Comments welcome, as to anything I should inspect closely, if I
go check it out. Think this price is reasonable?
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/tls/1053286282.html

Price seems reasonable, if it's in the condition the seller claims. Run a
few
boards through it -- the more highly figured the better -- and check for
tearout and snipe.

Yeah I would not recommend watching for tear out or snipe. If the blades
are not sharp there will be excess tear out. Snipe is IMHO not a reason to
turn away from a planer. Snipe can be prevented with technique if it is a
problem and typically is an inherent trait to most all planers especially
the older desigh and large ones. The Delta planer has 2 rollers that the
wood rides on under the cutter head. Because the wood rides up over the
table surface on 1 roller and eventually the next, snipe is pretty much a
guarantee to some degree. These particular planers are adjustable in many
areas so if something is in excess a problem, it can typically be adjusted.