Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta 12" Planer Question

I have a Delta 12" bench top planer I got last year, and after the
most recent project it was time to change blades, lube the gears, and
see what else needed doing.

There is a switch for 60ipm or 90ipm, seems to be a small rack and
pinion type thing maybe to change the gears. The problem is that with
the switch to the 90ipm, the feed rollers work fine, but in the 60ipm
position, the rollers don't turn. The little pinion turns OK, and the
rack seems to move back and forth, but I'm not sure if it moves
enough.

And Delta is closed today, and Christmas is on the way. Any ideas as
to what the prob may be??

Thanks to all, and Merry Christmas...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Rich,

I have the same problem with mine. If you find a solution, I would like to
know. I have cleaned, etc. and looked for some sort of adjustment mechanism
to no avail.
Roger

"rich" wrote in message
I have a Delta 12" bench top planer I got last year, and after the
most recent project it was time to change blades, lube the gears, and
see what else needed doing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"rich" wrote in message
I have a Delta 12" bench top planer I got last year, and after the
most recent project it was time to change blades, lube the gears, and
see what else needed doing.

There is a switch for 60ipm or 90ipm, seems to be a small rack and
pinion type thing maybe to change the gears. The problem is that with
the switch to the 90ipm, the feed rollers work fine, but in the 60ipm
position, the rollers don't turn. The little pinion turns OK, and the
rack seems to move back and forth, but I'm not sure if it moves
enough.

And Delta is closed today, and Christmas is on the way. Any ideas as
to what the prob may be??

Thanks to all, and Merry Christmas......

The simpelest and cheapest way to reduce snipe is to simply lift up on the
opposite end of the board as it enters and exits the planer cutter head
area.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 23, 6:16*pm, rich wrote:
I have a Delta 12" bench top planer I got last year, and after the
most recent project it was time to change blades, lube the gears, and
see what else needed doing.

There is a switch for 60ipm or 90ipm, seems to be a small rack and
pinion type thing maybe to change the gears. *The problem is that with
the switch to the 90ipm, the feed rollers work fine, but in the 60ipm
position, the rollers don't turn. *The little pinion turns OK, and the
rack seems to move back and forth, but I'm not sure if it moves
enough.

And Delta is closed today, and Christmas is on the way. *Any ideas as
to what the prob may be??

Thanks to all, and Merry Christmas...

I have a two-speed Delta planer, 22-580, and the instructions for mine
clearly state the motor MUST be running while changing speeds. YMMV

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a two-speed Delta planer, 22-580, and the instructions for mine
clearly state the motor MUST be running while changing speeds. *YMMV

Mine says the same, must be on to change. I had the motor running
while I layed an eyeball on the little rack and pinion behind the
switch. When you turn the switch to the slow feed position, the small
rack moves away from the gear assy, but the chain that drives the two
rollers stops. Switch to fast feed position, rack moves to left, and
the chains move again. I can't see any loose gears, chains run free,
but gotta be a loose whatchamacallit in there somewhere.

Well, a MERRY CHRISTMAS to all, we can deal with this later.