Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta 12 1/2" Planer Question

I'm having a problem with the cutters creating a low spot or dish in the
center of the boards.
I have rechecked the tables to be sure they are flat and level. Recently I
installed new knives,
they didn't help. Any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dabears525" wrote in message
. ..
I'm having a problem with the cutters creating a low spot or dish in the
center of the boards.
I have rechecked the tables to be sure they are flat and level. Recently
I installed new knives,
they didn't help. Any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Are you having this problem with long boards? If you are having this
problem with long boards be sure to support the in feed and out feed ends of
the board. The board will bow if not supported and will bow up in the
middle, bowing up in the middle caused the blades co cut deeper. See where
I am going with this?

Posted to rec.woodworking

The boards have been about 4' long and I was supporting them on the infeed
but maybe not as well on the outfeed. This was 5/4 red oak about 11" wide.
I didn't realize wood this heavy would bow. I'll try this next time.
Thanks Leon

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"dabears525" wrote in message
. ..
I'm having a problem with the cutters creating a low spot or dish in the
center of the boards.
I have rechecked the tables to be sure they are flat and level. Recently
I installed new knives,
they didn't help. Any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Are you having this problem with long boards? If you are having this
problem with long boards be sure to support the in feed and out feed ends
of the board. The board will bow if not supported and will bow up in the
middle, bowing up in the middle caused the blades co cut deeper. See
where I am going with this?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dabears525" wrote in message
. ..
The boards have been about 4' long and I was supporting them on the infeed
but maybe not as well on the outfeed. This was 5/4 red oak about 11"
wide.
I didn't realize wood this heavy would bow. I'll try this next time.
Thanks Leon

Ok, 4 to 6 feet should not bee too long. By any chance is that 5/4 red oak
rough sawn and or not perfectly flat on the bottom side?

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"dabears525" wrote in message
. ..
I'm having a problem with the cutters creating a low spot or dish in the
center of the boards.
I have rechecked the tables to be sure they are flat and level.
Recently I installed new knives,
they didn't help. Any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Are you having this problem with long boards? If you are having this
problem with long boards be sure to support the in feed and out feed ends
of the board. The board will bow if not supported and will bow up in the
middle, bowing up in the middle caused the blades co cut deeper. See
where I am going with this?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dabears525" wrote in message
. ..
I'm having a problem with the cutters creating a low spot or dish in the
center of the boards.
I have rechecked the tables to be sure they are flat and level. Recently
I installed new knives,
they didn't help. Any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Have you checked the cutting head relative to the table? In other words, are
the knives parallel with respect to the table? Did you tighten the bolts
consistently across the blades? A 1/4" torque wrench should help. The cutter
head maybe bend or the cutter head end bearings maybe out of round.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am wondering the same thing about the head being bent, as I have used
shorter boards that were flat on
both sides and it still occurred. That is why I tried a longer board after
I had rechecked
the tables and waxed them.
I guess it will take a dial indicator to check the head or would you be able
to see it with a straight edge?

" Frank" wrote in message
. ..

"dabears525" wrote in message
. ..
I'm having a problem with the cutters creating a low spot or dish in the
center of the boards.
I have rechecked the tables to be sure they are flat and level. Recently
I installed new knives,
they didn't help. Any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Have you checked the cutting head relative to the table? In other words,
are the knives parallel with respect to the table? Did you tighten the
bolts consistently across the blades? A 1/4" torque wrench should help.
The cutter head maybe bend or the cutter head end bearings maybe out of
round.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Did you have this problem when you first bought the planer? If not, you
might want to check and see if some wood debree is causing the blades to
warp when you tighten them down. Might take the clamping plate completely
off and see if there is a burr or anything else preventing the blades from
tightening flat to the cutter head. The blades are so thin, it would take
very little effort/obstruction to make them warp out..

"Leon" wrote in message

"dabears525" wrote in message
. ..
The boards have been about 4' long and I was supporting them on the
infeed
but maybe not as well on the outfeed. This was 5/4 red oak about 11"
wide.
I didn't realize wood this heavy would bow. I'll try this next time.
Thanks Leon

Ok, 4 to 6 feet should not bee too long. By any chance is that 5/4 red
oak rough sawn and or not perfectly flat on the bottom side?

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"dabears525" wrote in message
. ..
I'm having a problem with the cutters creating a low spot or dish in
the center of the boards.
I have rechecked the tables to be sure they are flat and level.
Recently I installed new knives,
they didn't help. Any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Are you having this problem with long boards? If you are having this
problem with long boards be sure to support the in feed and out feed
ends of the board. The board will bow if not supported and will bow up
in the middle, bowing up in the middle caused the blades co cut deeper.
See where I am going with this?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dabears525" wrote in message
news
I am wondering the same thing about the head being bent, as I have used
shorter boards that were flat on
both sides and it still occurred. That is why I tried a longer board
after I had rechecked
the tables and waxed them.
I guess it will take a dial indicator to check the head or would you be
able to see it with a straight edge?

You should be able to see it without a dial indicator, just shine a light on
the backside of the cutting head. If it appears flat across the blade then
there must be some movement when pressure is applied. Without turning the
motor on, you may be able to see what's going on when you lower the blade a
little pressure on a flat board and see if there is more of an indentation
on the center.

" Frank" wrote in message
. ..

"dabears525" wrote in message
. ..
I'm having a problem with the cutters creating a low spot or dish in the
center of the boards.
I have rechecked the tables to be sure they are flat and level.
Recently I installed new knives,
they didn't help. Any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Have you checked the cutting head relative to the table? In other words,
are the knives parallel with respect to the table? Did you tighten the
bolts consistently across the blades? A 1/4" torque wrench should help.
The cutter head maybe bend or the cutter head end bearings maybe out of
round.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dabears525 wrote:
I'm having a problem with the cutters creating a low spot or dish in the
center of the boards.
I have rechecked the tables to be sure they are flat and level. Recently I
installed new knives,
they didn't help. Any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks in advance for your help,

The manual for my DeWalt planer calls for the infeed and outfeed tables
to be adjusted slightly higher than the center table to support the
board as it passes through the planer.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA