Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Grizzly Planer knife setting

I have a G0453 Grizzly 15" planer that I love except when it's time for
knife replacement. This planer uses a knife gauge that you set above the
knives and adjust the jack screws to make the knives barely touch the knife
jig. I hate it. My old Delta 12" uses springs in place of jack screws and
this method is easy and quick.

Since the G0453 has no options for springs a it's brother the G0454 does, I
ordered springs from the G0454 parts manual in hopes they might work on the
G0453. Springs are too big to fit in recess.

I have tried to find them at HD and Lowes to no avail.

Has anyone tried to retrofit their planer/jointer with springs? Anyone know
of source for small springs?
--
Frank Howell

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 27, 8:36*am, "Frank Howell" wrote:
I have a G0453 Grizzly 15" planer that I love except when it's time for
knife replacement. This planer uses a knife gauge that you set above the
knives and adjust the jack screws to make the knives barely touch the knife
jig. I hate it. My old Delta 12" uses springs in place of jack screws and
this method is easy and quick.

Since the G0453 has no options for springs a it's brother the G0454 does, I
ordered springs from the G0454 parts manual in hopes they might work on the
G0453. Springs are too big to fit in recess.

I have tried to find them at HD and Lowes to no avail.

Has anyone tried to retrofit their planer/jointer with springs? Anyone know
of source for small springs?
--
Frank Howell

Hi, Frank -

I got a variety assortment of steel springs (from about 3 mm in
diameter to about 8 and varying lengths) at Ace hardware - prolly have
them in your area too for like $1.29....

Think they had smaller ones too....

D'ohBoy
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 27, 8:36*am, "Frank Howell" wrote, in part:

I have tried to find them at HD and Lowes to no avail.

Duud:

HD and Lowes are a disaster. They are set up to provide everything to
do projects that they have defined - ONLY. They are NOT hardware
stores. It is a foregone conclusion that any trip to HD will require
an additional trip to Ace or True Value for that extra bit or weird
screw that a real Hardware Store always carries.

I try to buy a little extra overpriced crap at my local Ace when I
stop in, cuz if they weren't in bidness, I'd have to drive like 30
miles each way for a 10 cent bolt.

D'ohBoy
Posted to rec.woodworking

D'ohBoy wrote:
On Mar 27, 8:36 am, "Frank Howell" wrote, in part:

I have tried to find them at HD and Lowes to no avail.

Duud:

HD and Lowes are a disaster. They are set up to provide everything to
do projects that they have defined - ONLY. They are NOT hardware
stores. It is a foregone conclusion that any trip to HD will require
an additional trip to Ace or True Value for that extra bit or weird
screw that a real Hardware Store always carries.

I try to buy a little extra overpriced crap at my local Ace when I
stop in, cuz if they weren't in bidness, I'd have to drive like 30
miles each way for a 10 cent bolt.

D'ohBoy

I can't count the number of times I've been to Lowe's or Home Depot in
recent years looking for an item that I knew they carried, only to
discover they *used* to carry it. Bastages!

--
Repeat after me:
"I am we Todd it. I am sofa king we Todd it."
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-03-27, D'ohBoy wrote:

HD and Lowes are a disaster. They are set up to provide everything to
do projects that they have defined - ONLY. They are NOT hardware
stores. It is a foregone conclusion that any trip to HD will require
an additional trip to Ace or True Value for that extra bit or weird
screw that a real Hardware Store always carries.

I try to buy a little extra overpriced crap at my local Ace when I
stop in, cuz if they weren't in bidness, I'd have to drive like 30
miles each way for a 10 cent bolt.

Depends on where you live, I guess. Formerly from the SFBA, I was always
able to find everything I need at HD/Lowe's. I must confess, Orchard Supply
Hardware, a local chain, bought out by Sears, was a great fallback for those
really obscure items like ss button head cap screws and horseshoe nails, but
HD/Lowes's was always cheaper and covered more gen construction ground.
Now, living in rural CO, I must depend on the new TVH and a couple local lumber
stores. Between them, they cover my needs. Yeah, I have to drive 10-20
miles, but that's the penalty for escaping the urban environment.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
I can't count the number of times I've been to Lowe's or Home Depot in
recent years looking for an item that I knew they carried, only to
discover they *used* to carry it. Bastages!

Plenty of toasters, though.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
I can't count the number of times I've been to Lowe's or Home Depot
in recent years looking for an item that I knew they carried, only to
discover they *used* to carry it. Bastages!

Plenty of toasters, though.

Yeah, and not just them. Next time you're in Sears look for a half inch
open end wrench.

Posted to rec.woodworking

D'ohBoy wrote:
[...]

Alright! I'll have to try them.

--
Frank Howell

Posted to rec.woodworking

DanG wrote:
Frank, go to a lock shop. They have an assortment of small,
strong springs that may meet your needs. The Delta springs look
like lock springs.

"Frank Howell" wrote in message
I have a G0453 Grizzly 15" planer that I love except when it's
time for knife replacement. This planer uses a knife gauge that
you set above the knives and adjust the jack screws to make the
knives barely touch the knife jig. I hate it. My old Delta 12"
uses springs in place of jack screws and this method is easy and
quick.

Since the G0453 has no options for springs a it's brother the
G0454 does, I ordered springs from the G0454 parts manual in
hopes they might work on the G0453. Springs are too big to fit
in recess.

I have tried to find them at HD and Lowes to no avail.

Has anyone tried to retrofit their planer/jointer with springs?
Anyone know of source for small springs?
--
Frank Howell

Thanks. A lock shop, who would have thought.

--
Frank Howell