Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

Default Planer knife sharpening

Has anyone ever used anything like this to sharpen your jointer or planer
knives? Or has anyone ever dealt with these people? What does the majority
do when your knives become dull? 30 bucks a set, versus 10 for one of these
gizmo's???

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Used anything like what? Need more info, but I take mine to my local
sharpening service. They're responsive to my needs, and cost is
reasonable, and then I hone 'em up myself. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

I am so sorry!! I forgot to paste the link! Here it is:

http://www.constantines.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=656

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
Used anything like what? Need more info, but I take mine to my local
sharpening service. They're responsive to my needs, and cost is
reasonable, and then I hone 'em up myself. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Josh

My father, who hates gimmicky "tools", got one as a gift a couple years
ago. He was just telling me the other day that it actually works
really well. He manages to hone the dulled edge on his knives three of
four times before finally having to take them out of the jointer and
get them sharpened. You can't keep sharpening forever with one of
these things, but it really adds a lot of life to the knives as long as
they're not too dull or notched up. He said it's really nice not to
have to take them out of the machine, since re-aligning them is
somewhat of a pain. I'm definitely thinking about getting one myself.

Josh

Tim Taylor wrote:
Has anyone ever used anything like this to sharpen your jointer or planer
knives? Or has anyone ever dealt with these people? What does the majority
do when your knives become dull? 30 bucks a set, versus 10 for one of these
gizmo's???

Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

Josh wrote:
My father, who hates gimmicky "tools", got one as a gift a couple years
ago. He was just telling me the other day that it actually works
really well.

The secret is to remember it's a hone, not a sharpener.

If you use the hone early and often, the hone will work great. Once the
knives head toward dullsville, a hone isn't aggressive enough to do much
good, and a real sharpening is required.

It's kind of like touching up the bench chisels on 4000 and/or 8000 grit
stones during use.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Markem

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 18:08:04 GMT, "Tim Taylor"
wrote:

I am so sorry!! I forgot to paste the link! Here it is:

I have one of those it is for honing the planer blades not sharpening.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

Ok, gotcha! It's just for honing. I guess if I would have read a little
harder I would have figured that out my self. So it wouldn't do a couple
sets I got any good, cause they past dullsville about 300 miles back up the
road! Thanks guys. Guess it's off to get another new set until I can find
somebody around here that would do such a small job. That's 4 answers I got
when calling some places to see if they could sharpen them. "That's not
enough to warrant us even doing a job like that" or "just three sets of
blades? It would cost you more for us to sharpen them than it would for you
to buy a new set". Just answers like that.

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
. ..
Josh wrote:
My father, who hates gimmicky "tools", got one as a gift a couple years
ago. He was just telling me the other day that it actually works
really well.

The secret is to remember it's a hone, not a sharpener.

If you use the hone early and often, the hone will work great. Once the
knives head toward dullsville, a hone isn't aggressive enough to do much
good, and a real sharpening is required.

It's kind of like touching up the bench chisels on 4000 and/or 8000 grit
stones during use.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message
I am so sorry!! I forgot to paste the link! Here it is:

http://www.constantines.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=656

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
Used anything like what? Need more info, but I take mine to my local
sharpening service. They're responsive to my needs, and cost is
reasonable, and then I hone 'em up myself. Tom

Love my Makita water stone. I have two sets of blades, remove, the
offenders, ditto the jointer or planer, whichever is not offending, and have
an hour at the wheel. Usually do the plane irons then, too. This works
less like the stone than a "steel" for carving knives.

Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

Tim Taylor wrote:
"That's not
enough to warrant us even doing a job like that" or "just three sets of
blades? It would cost you more for us to sharpen them than it would for you
to buy a new set".

My blades come back from sharpening trips much sharper than new blades.
This is precisely why I resharpen my 8" and 12" blades, as well as the
6" blades from my old jointer.

In my area, all of the local tool stores, like Woodcraft, Coastal.
etc... will send my blades out for sharpening, even if it's ONE blade.

You could also deal by mail with places like this:
http://www.ballewtools.com/services.htm
http://www.ctsaw.com/aboutus.html

Sharpening shops often work in batches, you're simply calling the wrong
places. Ask your local tool dealers.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

Woodcraft does it huh??? I guess I am looking in the wrong places then.
That's just another good excuse to head to that side of town! Thanks Barry.

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
. ..
Tim Taylor wrote:
"That's not enough to warrant us even doing a job like that" or "just
three sets of blades? It would cost you more for us to sharpen them than
it would for you to buy a new set".

My blades come back from sharpening trips much sharper than new blades.
This is precisely why I resharpen my 8" and 12" blades, as well as the 6"
blades from my old jointer.

In my area, all of the local tool stores, like Woodcraft, Coastal. etc...
will send my blades out for sharpening, even if it's ONE blade.

You could also deal by mail with places like this:
http://www.ballewtools.com/services.htm
http://www.ctsaw.com/aboutus.html

Sharpening shops often work in batches, you're simply calling the wrong
places. Ask your local tool dealers.

Posted to rec.woodworking
BT98

I sent my Delta Thickness planer blades out for sharpening and when
they came back they did not want to feed the stock through the planer.
I talked to the tech center and they said the blades were not to be
resharpened. I replaced the feed roller and that did not help until I
replaced the blade with a new blade and then it would feed the stock
through the planer. I guess the honeing may help but grinding did not
work.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor

Well, I was kinda, sorta wondering that myself. I know on one set I used, I
abused the crap out them. I was just planing down some old painted stair
treads, but about half way through it got hard for it to feed. By the time I
was done, I just about had to tie a rope on the ends and pull them through
with my truck. I know, that aint good on the equipment, but I had to do it.

oups.com...