Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hinges for Rehanging Kitchen Cabinet Doors

Hello

I am repainting my kitchen cabinets. The cabinets are solid wood. They are
original cabinets for 1955 ( when the house was built)

I took all the doors off the cabinets along with the hinges.

I need to purchase new hinges. Should I go with the traditional old style
hinges that are not adjustable? Or should I purchase the hidden adjustable
types? Do they make retrofit hinges that will work in my application?

The Cabinet boxes are 3/4" thick.

Another question, if I do use the traditional fixed hinges should I mount
them about 1/4 " above or below the original hinge, what I am gettign at is
that I don't want to use the same screw holes for the hinges. This being
said I will need to fill the existing holes on the cabinet boexes and make
new holes 1/4 " above or below the exisitng holes? What should I use to
fill the holes? Wood Putty?

Thanks

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

In ,
Tube Audio dropped this bit of wisdom:
[...]

If you are moving the hinges because the screw hole have become enlarged such that the screws no longer hold, just fill the holes with glue and toothpicks and re-use the same old hinges with the same old screws in the same old holes.

If you are replacing the hinges because you no longer like them (worn out their usefullness) or swmbo wants a new look, same advice. If the hole pattern of the new hinges does not match the old pattern, predrill the holes for the screws. Most likely, the new hinges will cover the old screw holes.

If you are going all out and installing Euro style hinges, use wood putty and restain.

P D Q
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Tube Audio" wrote:

[...]

What style of hinges were used initially? Where do they mount to the
doors and the cabinet carcass--are they surface mounted on the front, or
screwed into the sides of the doors/frames, or into the back?

From your description, I'm kind of guessing it's a simple butt or offset
hinge mounted on the front of the door and the frame, and so immediately
visible. You might be able to find a different hinge design that's a
bit bigger and covers the old holes while letting you use new holes.
Alternately, it might be possible to mount the hinges using machine
screws and nuts (or t-nuts), keeping the same hole locations--obviously,
this would be easier to do on the doors than on the cabinet frames.

I've been working on some cabinets with the hinges attached from the
back, and my solution to stripped holes (in the doors) has been to
carefully drill a relatively large hole inwards from the edge of the
door sideways through the stripped-out holes and then gluing in a piece
of dowel to hold the screws. In my case, the hinges are offset and will
cover the end of the dowel.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 26, 1:50*am, Andrew Erickson
wrote:
In article ,
*"Tube Audio" wrote:

[...]

From your description, I'm kind of guessing it's a simple butt or offset
[...]

lose." *-- Jim Elliot- Hide quoted text -

------

Agreeeee

One of my engineer from China did have the same solutions in fixing
these holes.even we from China.