Posted to rec.woodworking

Default debugging wood

I have a few pieces of beautiful fallen wood that is
full holes (and likely bugs) that I am going to use
for a project. It's not green wood but is wet from
rain and lying on the ground. How can I make sure
that the bugs don't follow me indoors?
Posted to rec.woodworking

sbnjhfty wrote:

I have a few pieces of beautiful fallen wood that is
full holes (and likely bugs) that I am going to use
for a project. It's not green wood but is wet from
rain and lying on the ground. How can I make sure
that the bugs don't follow me indoors?

First thing you need to do is get it off the ground and out of the rain.
If it's sitting on wet ground, it is absorbing moisture and most likely
starting to rot. After you get some real drying going on, then you can
start worrying about the critters.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

sbnjhfty wrote:

I have a few pieces of beautiful fallen wood that is
full holes (and likely bugs) that I am going to use
for a project. It's not green wood but is wet from
rain and lying on the ground. How can I make sure
that the bugs don't follow me indoors?

First thing you need to do is get it off the ground and out of the rain.
If it's sitting on wet ground, it is absorbing moisture and most likely
starting to rot. After you get some real drying going on, then you can
start worrying about the critters.

Assuming it holds together, that is. Also, you might want to slab it now,
it will speed the drying process. Just make sure you sticker it when you
stack it to dry. One other thing, since you think it has active bugs,
don't stack it in your shop or with any wood you value.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
sbnjhfty wrote:

I have a few pieces of beautiful fallen wood that is
full holes (and likely bugs) that I am going to use
for a project. It's not green wood but is wet from
rain and lying on the ground. How can I make sure
that the bugs don't follow me indoors?

First thing you need to do is get it off the ground and out of the rain.
If it's sitting on wet ground, it is absorbing moisture and most likely
starting to rot. After you get some real drying going on, then you can
start worrying about the critters.

Yes I am drying it. But how to get rid of the bugs?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"sbnjhfty" wrote:

Yes I am drying it. But how to get rid of the bugs?

Same way you get rid of termites in a building.

"Tent" the stack and then set off a ternite bug bomb.

Wait 2 days.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 23:17:36 -0400, sbnjhfty
wrote:

I have a few pieces of beautiful fallen wood that is
full holes (and likely bugs) that I am going to use
for a project. It's not green wood but is wet from
rain and lying on the ground. How can I make sure
that the bugs don't follow me indoors?

Freeze it for 2 months at 0F.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 21, 9:50*pm, sbnjhfty wrote:

I have a few pieces of beautiful fallen wood that is
full holes (and likely bugs)

Yes I am drying it. *But how to get rid of the bugs?

Heat will kill 'em and the eggs. Most kiln drying schedules
finish off with a few hours at/above 180 F (82 C), which is
achievable with a homebrew steam box.

The insects will crawl out before it reaches that temperature,
but you need to kill the eggs, too (powder-post beetle
is a particular concern).
Posted to rec.woodworking

"sbnjhfty" wrote in message
news
I have a few pieces of beautiful fallen wood that is
full holes (and likely bugs) that I am going to use
for a project. It's not green wood but is wet from
rain and lying on the ground. How can I make sure
that the bugs don't follow me indoors?

Hello,

First, do not bring the wood into your shop or home. I am not sure if
you can treat green/wet wood but check out:

http://www.bugspray.com/

and go through the articles. I've used the company's Boracare to treat for
powder post beetles and it appeared to work really well. Of course, I may
have been treating empty holes and the furniture may have been bug free.

Good Luck.