Bruce

Default HF Gloat

Best deal I ever got at Harbor Freight last saturday. I parked on the side
by the warehouse door and dumpster. Going in I noticed a lot of pallets
and thought I'd look them over when I left. I asked a guy about them and
he said I could have one or two pallets only because they sell them but he
said I could have all of this other pile I wanted.

What it was, were the odd shaped pallets that air compressors and other
heavy items like that were bolted to, not a traditional pallet. I took 4
of them, each one consisting of 2-3 pieces of 4/4 alder 8" wide x about 36"
long, some thicker but narrower of the same stuff, but the prize was:

each one had 2 main ribs of 36" of solid red oak 4x4. It is good looking
wood too.

My wife was all embarrassed by me digging in the "trash" but I explained to
her that I netted about $50 worth of wood and using one of the oak pieces,
I can make her cool bandsaw candle holders I've been wanting to do.

Grandpa

Bruce wrote:

Best deal I ever got at Harbor Freight last saturday. I parked on the side
by the warehouse door and dumpster. Going in I noticed a lot of pallets
and thought I'd look them over when I left. I asked a guy about them and
he said I could have one or two pallets only because they sell them but he
said I could have all of this other pile I wanted.

Hmmm, the store by me has a sign in front "Free pallets around back".
They give them all away.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message
Bruce wrote:

I asked a guy about them and
he said I could have one or two pallets only because they sell them but

he
said I could have all of this other pile I wanted.

Hmmm, the store by me has a sign in front "Free pallets around back".
They give them all away.

Pallets are a commodity all to themselves. I have some that I buy, others
that I give away, others that I can't get rid of. If you have 48 x 40 4 way
entry pallets, people will pay anywhere from 50¢ to $5 for them. Odd sizes
are tough to get rid of. Truck drivers from some companies are paid a
"bounty" for certain sizes if they bring them back to the plant.

In this case, I'm sure the store manager just h as not been able to sell
them for good old USA CASH or he would not be giving them away. Next case,
used drums. Fiber, plastic, and metal also have a value under the right
circumstances.
Ed

Most of the signs that have "free pallets" are the odd ball ones that cannot
be disposed of easily.
Ed

BIG JOE

I parked on the side
by the warehouse door and dumpster.

How could you tell the difference?
Brian in Hampton

I work in a metals shop and run a laser. We get our steel on pallets 8-10'
long with oak runners that are 4x4 red oak. We get them all the time. I take
what I need but most of them I throw away...I know I will get more in a day
or two.....Some are made from oak, pine , poplar, sycamore ,and one had wood
I am not sure of...Brian

Bruce

In rec.woodworking
"Brian in Hampton" wrote:

I work in a metals shop and run a laser. We get our steel on pallets 8-10'
long with oak runners that are 4x4 red oak. We get them all the time. I take
what I need but most of them I throw away...I know I will get more in a day
or two.....Some are made from oak, pine , poplar, sycamore ,and one had wood
I am not sure of...Brian

You could take those 4x4s and rip them into 4 1x4s and sell them on ebay or
locally or whatever. Next time you're in the borg, price some red oak.
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
BIG JOE wrote:
I parked on the side
by the warehouse door and dumpster.

How could you tell the difference?

EASY! the warehouse opens on the side, and the dumpster on the top.

P.S. the warehouse is usually -larger-.

At the University I went to, "way back when", the computer center rated
_two_ dumpsters all it's own. No big deal, until the day somebody graffiti'd
them. "GI" on the left one, and "GO" on the right one.

Mark Hopkins

I wonder how many folks "got" that one...?

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
ervers.com...
In article ,
BIG JOE wrote:
I parked on the side
by the warehouse door and dumpster.

How could you tell the difference?

EASY! the warehouse opens on the side, and the dumpster on the top.

P.S. the warehouse is usually -larger-.

At the University I went to, "way back when", the computer center rated
_two_ dumpsters all it's own. No big deal, until the day somebody

graffiti'd
them. "GI" on the left one, and "GO" on the right one.

Bruce

In rec.woodworking
"Mark Hopkins" wrote:

I wonder how many folks "got" that one...?

I didn't see it, but I get it. Then again, I'm a software engineer.

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
servers.com...
In article ,
BIG JOE wrote:
I parked on the side
by the warehouse door and dumpster.

How could you tell the difference?

EASY! the warehouse opens on the side, and the dumpster on the top.

P.S. the warehouse is usually -larger-.

At the University I went to, "way back when", the computer center rated
_two_ dumpsters all it's own. No big deal, until the day somebody

graffiti'd
them. "GI" on the left one, and "GO" on the right one.

David Hall

I wonder how many folks "got" that one...?

SNIP

At the University I went to, "way back when", the computer center rated
_two_ dumpsters all it's own. No big deal, until the day somebody

graffiti'd
them. "GI" on the left one, and "GO" on the right one.

I assume only you computer geeks

OT gloat =) possibly my lifetime gloat???? crk133 Woodworking 11 January 16th 04 11:50 PM
Gloat contest Knothead Woodworking 14 January 12th 04 12:33 AM
Gloat, gloat, gloat Joe C Woodworking 10 October 24th 03 12:24 AM