Posted to rec.woodworking

Default DROP BOX OR WHERE TO FIND PLANS FOR WORKTABLE?

Hi, folks.

I am wanting to build a 4 x 8' worktable/layout table or whatever it may be
called. I would like to use a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood for the top and four 4
x 4s for the legs.

Sounds simple but I would like to see what others have done.

I don't have a dovetail jig or a biscuit joiner - yet.

Could someone direct me to sources for plans?

Thanks

j/b

Posted to rec.woodworking

I forgot to say that the table will be for general use, such as putting a
Delta planer on top, a small metal slip roll and give me a place to build
and assemble various projects.

j/g

"justme" wrote in message
Hi, folks.

I am wanting to build a 4 x 8' worktable/layout table or whatever it may
be called. I would like to use a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood for the top and
four 4 x 4s for the legs.

Sounds simple but I would like to see what others have done.

I don't have a dovetail jig or a biscuit joiner - yet.

Could someone direct me to sources for plans?

Thanks

j/b

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 14, 4:22 pm, "justme" wrote:
Hi, folks.

I am wanting to build a 4 x 8' worktable/layout table or whatever it may be
called. I would like to use a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood for the top and four 4
x 4s for the legs.

Sounds simple but I would like to see what others have done.

Consider getting a solid core door for the top rather than plywood.
Also consider doubling 2x4s instead of 4x4s for the posts, they will
be more stable. There's a ton of plans out there for benches.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 14, 1:22*pm, "justme" wrote:
Hi, folks.

I am wanting to build a 4 x 8' worktable/layout table or whatever it may be
called. *I would like to use a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood for the top and four 4
x 4s for the legs.

Sounds simple but I would like to see what others have done.

I don't have a dovetail jig or a biscuit joiner - yet.

Get 48 feet of 1X6 in 8-foot lengths also. Cut two of the 6 lengths at
46-1/2" (you get four pieces). Nail (or screw) two 46-1/2" 1X6 to two
4X4's, one at the top of the leg and the other maybe one foot from the
bottom. Repeat for the other two legs. These are your end leg
assemblies. Then nail the 8' long pieces to the two end leg
assemblies. Nail the plywood to the frame. If you want, you could also
put a cross-piece in the middle top.

Bingo, no plans needed. I had a table like that for a number of years
and it was quite useful until I built a proper bench.

Luigi

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, Kevin.

I will use your suggestion of (2) 2 x 4s.

I want a 4 x 8 foot top, still.

Yes, in fact, there are way too many plans. I just thought that someone
knew of a few tried-and-true, most desireable plans.

j/b

wrote in message
On Mar 14, 4:22 pm, "justme" wrote:
Hi, folks.

I am wanting to build a 4 x 8' worktable/layout table or whatever it may
be
called. I would like to use a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood for the top and
four 4
x 4s for the legs.

Sounds simple but I would like to see what others have done.

Consider getting a solid core door for the top rather than plywood.
Also consider doubling 2x4s instead of 4x4s for the posts, they will
be more stable. There's a ton of plans out there for benches.

-Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, Luigi,

I want a proper bench/table, too. I still want a plywood top, however.

I appreciate your suggestions.

j/b

wrote in message
On Mar 14, 1:22 pm, "justme" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Go here and make a few notes on the construction:

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct.php?0207

All you need is a saw,drill,tape measure and some screws.

The size can be almost anything you wish.

justme wrote:
Hi, folks.

I am wanting to build a 4 x 8' worktable/layout table or whatever it may be
called. I would like to use a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood for the top and four 4
x 4s for the legs.

Sounds simple but I would like to see what others have done.

I don't have a dovetail jig or a biscuit joiner - yet.

Could someone direct me to sources for plans?

Thanks

j/b

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here is a complete plan for the portable table with drop down wheels
much like the NYW version but free plans.

http://woodworking.about.com/od/shop...tableTable.htm

Keep in mind while 4' x 8' top is a nice natural size, many folks find
something a little smaller, at least in the 4' dimension is actually
more convenient to be able to reach across and work with. Also, build
it with 2 top sheets, one sacrifical that can be replaced over the
years as it gets scarred up (plan height correctly). Also consider
melamine or phenolic or laminate top to avoid glue stick down
problems. (anybody have a preference here?)

Also, take note of the step to build a torsion box or strong
underpinning for the top so you can keep it close to dead flat for
precise layouts, buildups, etc. Having those straight edges and flat
surface make for square building real easy.

On Mar 14, 1:22*pm, "justme" wrote:
Hi, folks.

I am wanting to build a 4 x 8' worktable/layout table or whatever it may be
called. *I would like to use a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood for the top and four 4
x 4s for the legs.

Sounds simple but I would like to see what others have done.

I don't have a dovetail jig or a biscuit joiner - yet.

Could someone direct me to sources for plans?

Thanks

j/b

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks. Coincidentally, I had come across this plan through Google. I may
use the top and stringers but definitely not the legs. I need beefy legs.
I am not sure about the caster mechanism. I would rather have locking
casters but they are expensive.
Nevrtheless, I like the plans.

j/b

On Mar 14, 1:22 pm, "justme" wrote:
Hi, folks.

I am wanting to build a 4 x 8' worktable/layout table or whatever it may
be
called. I would like to use a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood for the top and four
4
x 4s for the legs.

Sounds simple but I would like to see what others have done.

I don't have a dovetail jig or a biscuit joiner - yet.

Could someone direct me to sources for plans?

Thanks

j/b

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have worked on many tables of similar design and feel these legs are
as strong as any 4x4 but a 4x4 is also fine. The caster mechanism
seems a little flaky when you look at it but it is actually really
cool because when they are up the table stands on the legs alone no
shimey form a locking caster and you simply lift the end of the table
a few inches and the casters fall in place an lock.

http://woodworking.about.com/od/shop...s/portableTabl...

On Mar 14, 1:22 pm, "justme" wrote:

Hi, folks.

I am wanting to build a 4 x 8' worktable/layout table or whatever it may
be
called. I would like to use a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood for the top and four
4
x 4s for the legs.

Sounds simple but I would like to see what others have done.

I don't have a dovetail jig or a biscuit joiner - yet.

Could someone direct me to sources for plans?

Thanks

j/b- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

I had not considered shimmy from a locking caster. You have convinced me to
use drop-down casters.

Some suggested that I use 2- 2x4s for each leg, of which I will do, too.

Thanks for your help.

On Mar 14, 1:22 pm, "justme" wrote:

Hi, folks.

I am wanting to build a 4 x 8' worktable/layout table or whatever it may
be
called. I would like to use a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood for the top and
four
4
x 4s for the legs.

Sounds simple but I would like to see what others have done.

I don't have a dovetail jig or a biscuit joiner - yet.

Could someone direct me to sources for plans?

Thanks

j/b- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

"justme" wrote:

Some suggested that I use 2- 2x4s for each leg, of which I will do,
too.

Cut a rabbit in each 2x4 so that when 2x4's are assembled, you have an
interlocking joint at the corner of the leg if you want to increase
the strength of the leg.

Lew

BTW, using 1/2 ply for gusset plates to attach legs improves the
strength of the top/leg joint tremendously.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 14, 1:22 pm, "justme" wrote:

Hi, folks.

I am wanting to build a 4 x 8' worktable/layout table or whatever it may
be
called. I would like to use a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood for the top and
four
4
x 4s for the legs.

Sounds simple but I would like to see what others have done.

I don't have a dovetail jig or a biscuit joiner - yet.

Could someone direct me to sources for plans?

Thanks

j/b- Hide quoted text -

I built the table with the setup like in the NYW plans. In a word it is the
NUTS. I have a few friends who have tables with locking casters and the
table moves a bit. My table is on solid ground and does not move at all
when planing, sawing, sanding, etc. When I want it out of the way I just
pick up the side a few inches and the wheels drop down.

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking

I also built the NYW version using plywood.

It is quick,easy and fairly cheap.

It is also VERY strong and very stable.

I think that using 2x4's would make it
overly heavy and not any better.

I did add a lower shelf which is very
handy and makes the table even more
stable.

If I made another, I would add a few
drawers instead of a open shelf.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey, Pat.

I will make it with a lower shelf. However, sometimes, I may have to move
it outside and I want BEEF.

Thanks

j/b

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
I also built the NYW version using plywood.

It is quick,easy and fairly cheap.

It is also VERY strong and very stable.

I think that using 2x4's would make it
overly heavy and not any better.

I did add a lower shelf which is very
handy and makes the table even more
stable.

If I made another, I would add a few
drawers instead of a open shelf.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"justme" wrote:

Lew, I think that I will bolt the 2 x 4s and I am thinking that will
be enough?

Might want to give that some thought.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"justme" wrote in message
You've sold me, Larry.

I appreciate your ideas.

j/b

On Mar 14, 1:22 pm, "justme" wrote:

[...]

One more thing. I learned a while ago to try and make all of my tables,
benches, etc for the shop the same height as my table saw, jointer, etc.
That way they can double as an outfeed, infeed, comfortable cup holder, etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I never thought of that excellent idea, Larry.

Thanks

j/b

"Larry C" wrote in message
news

"justme" wrote in message
You've sold me, Larry.

I appreciate your ideas.

j/b

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Try these links on fer size:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/mat/1134941931.html

http://www.southwestmedical.com/Ther...Manual/22259p0

http://www.hgtv.ca/articles/articled...839&cat=2&by=5

http://www.eaa72.org/tech/Table/Table.htm

http://www.uniqueprojects.com/projec.../worktable.htm

That should get you starter huh?

Philski

"justme" wrote in message
Hi, folks.

I am wanting to build a 4 x 8' worktable/layout table or whatever it may
be called. I would like to use a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood for the top and
four 4 x 4s for the legs.

Sounds simple but I would like to see what others have done.

I don't have a dovetail jig or a biscuit joiner - yet.

Could someone direct me to sources for plans?

Thanks

j/b

Trying to find original floor plans [email protected] Home Repair 5 September 9th 07 11:55 PM
Any idea on how to find original plans for a house? miamicuse Home Repair 10 May 7th 06 03:22 PM
Find Woodworking Project Plans - A to Z J T Woodworking 0 February 3rd 05 05:57 AM
Need to find Humidor Plans Woodworking 6 January 8th 04 08:15 PM
Anyone know where I can find pedal car plans BP Metalworking 2 September 15th 03 07:06 PM