Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New Grizzly cabinet saws

I am thinking about replacing my old (original Artisan 63) contractor saw
with a Grizzly cabinet saw. I have had fine results dealing with Grizzly,
better in fact than with Delta or Powermatic. Lots of things, mostly good,
have been said over the years about the different versions of the G1023. But
at this point I have to consider also the two new 10" cabinet saws with
riving knives and other later features, the G0651 and G0691 (I would want
the long fence no matter which saw).
Are there any opinions yet on how either of those compares with (a) the
G1023SLX and (b) the other of these two? There are some interesting things
in the 2009 catalog as well as in Grizzly's manuals available online. The
G0691 is the cheapest, at least at its intro price, but it is shown as the
heaviest by a significant amount. In fact based on what I can see the G0691
beats both the G0651 and the G1023SLX with the following exceptions:
It has a smaller table, but with the extension it seems plenty large enough.
It does not have the rear outfeed table that the G0651 does, but I can build
that for a lot less than the $445 difference.
And, hardest to quantify, the G0691 is made in China while the G0651 is made
in Taiwan: This has been a significant factor, I am not sure how much it is
now, and I don't need to hear flames devoid of data.
All three saws have similar fences, but only the G1023SLX has a fence with
any name attached (Grizzly's own Shop Fox brand). Looking at the parts
manuals and at the instructions for aligning the fences in the user manuals,
I don't see much to choose between them.
Has anyone seen the G0651 and/or G0691, better yet both, at a Grizzly plant?
Or is there any other basis for real comparison yet?
Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robert L Wilson" wrote in message
And, hardest to quantify, the G0691 is made in China while the G0651 is
made
in Taiwan: This has been a significant factor, I am not sure how much it
is
now, and I don't need to hear flames devoid of data.

Taiwan made tools are generally regarded as higher quality than China. They
have many more years experience in that type of work. Of course, you can
get lucky or unlucky in any equipment buy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Robert L Wilson" wrote in message
And, hardest to quantify, the G0691 is made in China while the G0651 is
made
in Taiwan: This has been a significant factor, I am not sure how much it
is
now, and I don't need to hear flames devoid of data.

Taiwan made tools are generally regarded as higher quality than China.
They have many more years experience in that type of work. Of course, you
can get lucky or unlucky in any equipment buy.

I second that opinion. I’ve been a machinist for 40 yrs. When I started,
all machines were US made. Over the years, they went away, and more and
more machines came from the far east. I think Taiwan has a better product
then China. That was noticeable from the start.

Plus China’s attitude…sending tainted dog food…. milk
products….sheetrock….**** poor plywood. Where you spend your money is your
ONLY weapon. Just my opinion.

Posted to rec.woodworking

As I (original post) said, I agree that Taiwan has been a better source than
China. But there are other differences. E.g, one of the new saws has much
more distance from the front edge of the table to the blade at any given
blade height, or to the arbor, than either the other new one or the 1023:
That seems to me a good idea. (I can always add support out the back, but
have frequently wished for more iron table in front of the blade.) But
regardless of whether it is good or bad in itself, it means two saws
definitely have different innards. I'd like to know whether anybody has been
able to play with one, either at home or in a Grizzly store, and can report
impressions on how smoothly things work, how rigidly they stay in place,
etc. I think I would rather have a better design from China than a worse
design from Taiwan, I don't think the difference between the two sources is
that big any more, if one design really is better than the other.
Thanks for your comments!
Bob Wilson