Buck Turgidson

Default Where Are Grizzly Table Saws Made?

Just curious if anyone knows if these saws are made in the US, or
offshore? Specifically the G0444, their low-end model. It's not a
determining factor in choosing one, but I lean towards buying domestic
where possible.

RonB

They are offshore - China and Taiwan.

Frankly a lot of the "domestics" are either coming from the same area or a
significant amount of their content is from the east. I have a Powermatic
45 jointer upstairs that came from the same neighborhood - still a good
tool.

I spent quite a bit of time comparing the 1023S tablesaw with its JET and
Unisaw counterparts. The 1023 was my choice. Frankly the new Unisaws are
not the machines they once were. They are still a pretty good machine for
those willing to pay a $400 or $500 premium (or more). When I bought mine I
couldn't find a "bare Unisaw" without extensions and othere accessories that
took the package price to the $1,600 range. I bought mine bare for $875
with shipping. If I had added the extended rails and table it would have
been in the $1,200 range. Griz sells direct and is cheaper.

This was before recent price increases on all of them.

RonB

Lee Michaels

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
Just curious if anyone knows if these saws are made in the US, or
offshore? Specifically the G0444, their low-end model. It's not a
determining factor in choosing one, but I lean towards buying domestic
where possible.

Grizzly has often featured their quality control folks at the factories in
Taiwan in their catalogs. They have imported most of their tools for many
years and are noted for it.

Tattooed and Dusty

All of the major table saws are made in Taiwan at this point; Jet,
Grizzly, Powermatic, Delta, etc.

The only ones made in North America I have seen are from General. Made
in Canada. The prices are about 2000 for a 3hp, Baldor motor, heavy
trunions and the like, but not quite as nice as the Powermatic for the
same price.

It's getting harder and harder to find big tools made in North America,
and with the quality of machines made over seas going way up, maybe
harder to care.

Andrew

LP

On Mon, 2 May 2005 12:17:35 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"
wrote:

Just curious if anyone knows if these saws are made in the US, or
offshore? Specifically the G0444, their low-end model. It's not a
determining factor in choosing one, but I lean towards buying domestic
where possible.

AFAIK they're all made in Taiwan.

If it will have any influence on your decision, I currently own Grizz
8" jointer, edge sander, cabinet saw and 15" planer. The jointer and
edge sander are several years old (10 at least) and the fit/finish on
them is a bit rough, but functionally they perform perfectly. The
planer and cabinet saw are just several months old, fit/finish is much
improved and functionally they're as good as anything else I've seen
out there.

It seems the majority of Grizz owners are quite happy.

Lee Michaels

wrote:

Just curious if anyone knows if these saws are made in the US, or
offshore? Specifically the G0444, their low-end model. It's not a
determining factor in choosing one, but I lean towards buying domestic
where possible.

AFAIK they're all made in Taiwan.

If it will have any influence on your decision, I currently own Grizz
8" jointer, edge sander, cabinet saw and 15" planer. The jointer and
edge sander are several years old (10 at least) and the fit/finish on
them is a bit rough, but functionally they perform perfectly. The
planer and cabinet saw are just several months old, fit/finish is much
improved and functionally they're as good as anything else I've seen
out there.

It seems the majority of Grizz owners are quite happy.

And they have good support too. Some of the traditional USA brands are
losing their traditional support. And their reputations. If you want good
tools, you need both a good tool to begin with and good support also.

And grizzly does well with telephone and parts support. This is often much
quicker and chaeaper than the alternative.

Buck Turgidson

AFAIK they're all made in Taiwan.

If it will have any influence on your decision, I currently own Grizz
8" jointer, edge sander, cabinet saw and 15" planer. The jointer and
edge sander are several years old (10 at least) and the fit/finish on
them is a bit rough, but functionally they perform perfectly. The
planer and cabinet saw are just several months old, fit/finish is much
improved and functionally they're as good as anything else I've seen
out there.

It seems the majority of Grizz owners are quite happy.

Maybe they should call them pandas instead of Grizzlys. Thanks.

Charlie Self

Tattooed and Dusty wrote:
All of the major table saws are made in Taiwan at this point; Jet,
Grizzly, Powermatic, Delta, etc.

The only ones made in North America I have seen are from General.

Made
in Canada. The prices are about 2000 for a 3hp, Baldor motor, heavy
trunions and the like, but not quite as nice as the Powermatic for

the
same price.

It's getting harder and harder to find big tools made in North

America,
and with the quality of machines made over seas going way up, maybe
harder to care.

The Powermatic 66 is still made in the U.S., LaVergne, TN.

B a r r y

Charlie Self wrote:
Tattooed and Dusty wrote:

It's getting harder and harder to find big tools made in North

America,

The Powermatic 66 is still made in the U.S., LaVergne, TN.

The General 350/650 is still made in Quebec, Canada.

Barry

"The only ones made in North America I have seen are from General. Made
in Canada. The prices are about 2000 for a 3hp, Baldor motor, heavy
trunions and the like, but not quite as nice as the Powermatic for the
same price."

I'll take the General over the Powermatic any day - fit, finish, mass,
design... Maybe someday Powermatic will have a metal side cover...

Charlie Self

"The only ones made in North America I have seen are from General.

Made
in Canada. The prices are about 2000 for a 3hp, Baldor motor, heavy
trunions and the like, but not quite as nice as the Powermatic for

the
same price."

I'll take the General over the Powermatic any day - fit, finish,

mass,
design... Maybe someday Powermatic will have a metal side cover...

Both excellent saws, but with the lid off, the PM 66 is more massy.
Trunnions are considerably heavier.

Tattooed and Dusty

Everything I have read online and from talking to a dealer in town
indicates the PM66 is made in Taiwan. There might be some letter
combination still made in the states, but the ones around 2k are all
imports.

Andrew

Powermatic (800-274-6848 ) states the 66 is, in fact, made in the USA.
Some of the auxilliary pieces may be farmed out, but not the saw itself.

Charlie Self

Tattooed and Dusty wrote:
Everything I have read online and from talking to a dealer in town
indicates the PM66 is made in Taiwan. There might be some letter
combination still made in the states, but the ones around 2k are all
imports.

Andrew

That's really weird. I watched them assembled in LaVergne last year.
Things do change, but at the time, I was told there were NO plans to
change. Parts are outsourced, or were at that time, but for an area
about 150 miles around the plant. It's a flagship model, and relatively
few are sold, the system is in place, so the company is losing little
to produce the 15-20 or so a day in the U.S.

Tattooed and Dusty

Yeah, That is odd. I am in the market for a new cabinet saw and was
told by Barbo Machinery in Portland Or, that the 66 was made in Taiwan.

Makes it all the more appealing that it's made in the US.

Hopefully they are wrong on that one, sorry for any confusion.

Andrew

Charlie Self

Tattooed and Dusty wrote:
Yeah, That is odd. I am in the market for a new cabinet saw and was
told by Barbo Machinery in Portland Or, that the 66 was made in

Taiwan.

Makes it all the more appealing that it's made in the US.

Hopefully they are wrong on that one, sorry for any confusion.

Andrew

If there's a floor model, look for the American flag, then ask the
sales type what that means to him.

I have NEVER found a salesperson to be a fount of wisdom on anything
I'm buying, whether it's a camera, a car, a tool, a can of beans or
underwear. If you haven't heard of spiffs, among other reasons for
sales bull****tery, it's time you learned. Spiffs are additional
commissions paid to the sales people by particular manufacturers (lots
of this in the entertainment {idjit box etc.} industry). You can bet
that an extra few bucks per sale is going to tilt a sales person to
that particular brand, and away from others.

Two Table Saws - NC/SC J T Woodworking 0 November 27th 04 04:37 AM
Table saws - advice, please? Andy Dingley UK diy 20 October 5th 04 10:22 PM
Grizzly G1022Z Table Saw Switch Question Ajax Woodworking 2 August 1st 04 04:02 AM
Table saw: DeWalt General Grizzly Peter De Smidt Woodworking 5 January 16th 04 02:59 PM
Shop Fox vs. Grizzly Cabinet Saws Brian Woodworking 16 January 5th 04 12:11 AM