Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Variable speed router setting

So I just got that nifty Freud router for $100 from Woodcraft. Pleased
am I, but am looking for suggestions on settings for the variable speed.
My PC runs at about 25K, so my instinct is to run the Freud full bore
for my typical uses with small diameter bits. I'm guessing, however,
that there are uses for the lower speed settings when one is using a
wider diameter bit. Correct?

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

TD Driver wrote:
So I just got that nifty Freud router for $100 from Woodcraft. Pleased
am I, but am looking for suggestions on settings for the variable speed.
My PC runs at about 25K, so my instinct is to run the Freud full bore
for my typical uses with small diameter bits. I'm guessing, however,
that there are uses for the lower speed settings when one is using a
wider diameter bit. Correct?

Basically just keep cutting tip speed about constant which implies rpm
inversely proportional to cutting diameter.

May on occasion find it pays to slow it down on softer woods to minimize
burning if can't keep up high-enough feed rate (following complex shape,
say).

Posted to rec.woodworking

TD Driver wrote:

So I just got that nifty Freud router for $100 from Woodcraft. Pleased
am I, but am looking for suggestions on settings for the variable speed.
My PC runs at about 25K, so my instinct is to run the Freud full bore
for my typical uses with small diameter bits. I'm guessing, however,
that there are uses for the lower speed settings when one is using a
wider diameter bit. Correct?

Larry

See the speed chart at:
http://www.newwoodworker.com/ref/rtrbtspds.html

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"TD Driver" wrote in message
So I just got that nifty Freud router for $100 from Woodcraft. Pleased am
I, but am looking for suggestions on settings for the variable speed. My
PC runs at about 25K, so my instinct is to run the Freud full bore for my
typical uses with small diameter bits. I'm guessing, however, that there
are uses for the lower speed settings when one is using a wider diameter
bit. Correct?

Larry

I got a speed chart at a woodworking show from a company called Woodline.
The table below has the width of the bit in the first column and max RPM in
the second column. By width is meant a measurement from the tip of one
cutting edge to the other:

up to 3/4" 22,000 RPM
up to 1" 18,000
1.5" 16,000
2" 15,000
3" 12,000
over 3" 10,000 RPM or less

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 28, 12:41*pm, TD Driver wrote:
So I just got that nifty Freud router for $100 from Woodcraft. *Pleased
am I, but am looking for suggestions on settings for the variable speed.
* My PC runs at about 25K, so my instinct is to run the Freud full bore
for my typical uses with small diameter bits. *I'm guessing, however,
that there are uses for the lower speed settings when one is using a
wider diameter bit. *Correct?

Larry

I usually just set mine by ear. I leave it near high speed for most
bits and back it down with bigger bits. I may be doing it wrong but
seems to me I can adjust to the right speed by listening to it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I usually just set mine by ear. *I leave it near high speed for most
bits and back it down with bigger bits. *I may be doing it wrong but
seems to me I can adjust to the right speed by listening to it.

Ditto - My bosch 1617 router speed setting are A thru F, so all the
charts in the world won't help. Unless someone knows how to convert
each letter to an RPM?

Mitch