Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another Bench Dog Question

I've got workbenches that some people would think are antiques, built when I
moved into my house in 1972. Basic construction is Square A-Frame 2x4 legs
and many longitudinal 2x4 stringers topped with 1/2" plywood and an 1/8"
masonite worksurface. The frame is still strong enough that I very often
stand on both the top and the lower shelf to reach high things.

I recently bought some bench dogs and then started wondering how thick the
wood where the holes are drilled has to be to provide good retention. Over
the legs, I've got about 36" ;-), over the 2x4 stringers, I've got a
measured 2" and much less between them. Is the 2" thickness sufficient to
hold the dogs or do I need to provide additional thickness where I want to
put them?

TIA
Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Norm Dresner wrote:

I recently bought some bench dogs and then started wondering how thick the
wood where the holes are drilled has to be to provide good retention. Over
the legs, I've got about 36" ;-), over the 2x4 stringers, I've got a
measured 2" and much less between them. Is the 2" thickness sufficient to
hold the dogs or do I need to provide additional thickness where I want to
put them?

Depends on the bench dogs and how well they fit. Please post a link to
them.

--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
Is the 2" thickness sufficient to
hold the dogs or do I need to provide additional thickness where I want to
put them?

Mine work with a 1 1/2" top. Guess it depends on how much you stress them
with the vice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jerome Meekings" wrote in message
| Norm Dresner wrote:
|
| I recently bought some bench dogs and then started wondering how thick
the
| wood where the holes are drilled has to be to provide good retention.
Over
| the legs, I've got about 36" ;-), over the 2x4 stringers, I've got a
| measured 2" and much less between them. Is the 2" thickness sufficient
| hold the dogs or do I need to provide additional thickness where I want
| put them?
|
| Depends on the bench dogs and how well they fit. Please post a link to
| them.

I bought them from www.hartvilletool.com as item # 54012. They have a 5/8"
steel shaft and a recommended hole of 3/4".

Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Norm Dresner wrote:

| Depends on the bench dogs and how well they fit. Please post a link to
| them.

I bought them from www.hartvilletool.com as item # 54012. They have a 5/8"
steel shaft and a recommended hole of 3/4".

Norm

FWIW That is is not a bench dog it is a BENCH HOLD-DOWN. the difference
is that for that you need a material with better strength resistance to
deforming than MDF.

You may get away with a 1/2" wood top and bottom laminated to an MDF
core

--
replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
and http://www.meekings.net/photo-groups/nui/index.shtml

Posted to rec.woodworking

Norm Dresner wrote:

"Jerome Meekings" wrote in message
| Norm Dresner wrote:
|
| I recently bought some bench dogs and then started wondering how thick
the
| wood where the holes are drilled has to be to provide good retention.
Over
| the legs, I've got about 36" ;-), over the 2x4 stringers, I've got a
| measured 2" and much less between them. Is the 2" thickness sufficient
| hold the dogs or do I need to provide additional thickness where I want
| put them?
|
| Depends on the bench dogs and how well they fit. Please post a link to
| them.

I bought them from www.hartvilletool.com as item # 54012. They have a 5/8"
steel shaft and a recommended hole of 3/4".

Norm

Sorry if my cancled post got through

FWIW That is is not a bench dog it is a BENCH HOLD-DOWN so I cant give
real help other than the 2" is probably good.