Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sloped/Angle routing?

The problem: Creating, for example, angled dados and rabbets or other
decorative grooves, with the router.

Yes, I know that angled dados and rabbets can be done with table and radial
arm saws, but I'm looking for something much more general. Perhaps an edge
beading that rises from the bottom to the top of an edge of a board.

Things I've already tried:

1. Attaching an appropriate shim to the bottom of the piece and then run it
across the router table

2. Attaching a shim to the sub-base plate of the router before routing a
piece.

Any other techniques, jigs, etc?

TIA
Norm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Norm Dresner wrote:
The problem: Creating, for example, angled dados and rabbets or other
decorative grooves, with the router.

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/JBot/

(second photo from bottom) and also something like

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/Bevel/

Easy! :-]

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 3:29 pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
Norm Dresner wrote:
The problem: Creating, for example, angled dados and rabbets or other
decorative grooves, with the router.

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/JBot/

(second photo from bottom) and also something like

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/Bevel/

Easy! :-]

Eat your heart out, Morris

http://www.krtwood.com/disher.html

I'll trade you, straight up

For the OP: You can do a lot with the right jig, but usually they need
to be special made for the task. Might be some ideas there for you.
I would highly not recommend the t-nut knobs though

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

Norm Dresner wrote:
The problem: Creating, for example, angled dados and rabbets or other
decorative grooves, with the router.

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/JBot/

(second photo from bottom) and also something like

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/Bevel/

Easy! :-]

Eat your heart out, Morris

http://www.krtwood.com/disher.html

That's pretty cool!

I'll trade you, straight up

Well, it's not /that/ cool - and I suspect that you'd have altogether
/too/ much fun with a shop-built CNC machine.

For the OP: You can do a lot with the right jig, but usually they need
to be special made for the task. Might be some ideas there for you.
I would highly not recommend the t-nut knobs though

I found it interesting that Kevin and I both used the same inexpensive
trim router.

I think the trick is to dispense with the factory base and build one of
your own to hold the router at an angle while you guide it (perhaps
against a fence clamped to the workpiece) by hand.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 10:59 pm, Morris Dovey wrote:

Well, it's not /that/ cool - and I suspect that you'd have altogether
/too/ much fun with a shop-built CNC machine.

I'm definitely intrigued with the possibilities. Though at the same
time I like to make things up as I go along, I think involving a CNC
would require more forethought and planning than how I like to work.

I found it interesting that Kevin and I both used the same inexpensive
trim router.

Not only is it inexpensive, but it includes the most wonderful aroma.
You just can't put a price on that, it nearly brought tears to my
eyes.

-Kevin

Routing ABS Bill Stock Home Repair 5 October 4th 07 09:31 AM
sloped metal roof for a woodshed [email protected] Home Repair 10 November 21st 06 02:20 PM
Determining Crown Cutting Angle With Sloped Ceiling Jim Conway Home Repair 4 March 14th 06 02:17 PM
CNC Routing Steve B Woodworking 5 January 7th 06 05:15 AM
Drywalling horiz or vert with sloped ceiling? Sean Home Repair 8 March 22nd 05 06:11 AM