Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cedar and galvanized nails

Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood. Someone has
suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction. This will be used on
the outside of my house with a good coat of latex paint covering it. Tks. Chuck
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction.
This will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of latex
paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

Hot dipped galvanized nails should be okay. See:

http://www.soundcedar.com/lumber/sid...tion/nails.php

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

Nova wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction.
This will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of
latex paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

Hot dipped galvanized nails should be okay. See:

http://www.soundcedar.com/lumber/sid...tion/nails.php

If you do not want the nails to "bleed" all over the holes use stainless.

The reaction is to the stuff in cedar that makes it the wood resist rotting.

Does not matter if the nails are painted over they will rust in short order.

Mine did and I switched to stainless - no more rot and no more bleeding

P D Q
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 13, 6:42*pm, Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood. Someone has
suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction. This will be used on
the outside of my house with a good coat of latex paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

I had a gorgeous cedar clapboard job ruined because the nails gave up
the ghost. The dark streaks made it an eyesore. If it's painted
you'll _probably_ not have a problem with galvanized nails, but I'd
use stainless anyway. It's cheap insurance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 23:42:18 GMT, Chuck wrote:

Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood. Someone has
suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction. This will be used on
the outside of my house with a good coat of latex paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

Well, McFeeley's is in the business of selling stainless steel nails,
so they might be a bit overselling, but here's a link that claims hot
dip galvanized nails aren't the best option with Western Red cedar:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/stainless-nails

On the other hand, the Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau recommends
stainless, hot-dipped zinc, or aluminum nails.

http://www.cedarbureau.org/installat...ual/page05.htm

Suffice to say, the coating on a galvanized nail might fail and might
stain, while stainless will not.

If you go with galvanized, get double hot-dipped nails, which should
eliminate defects in the coating that will stain.

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood. Someone has
suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction. This will be used on
the outside of my house with a good coat of latex paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

My 30 year old cedar sided house has spiral galvanized nails, acrylic
"stain" and nary a rust spot. Maybe those old nails were better.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

All stressed out, and no one to choke...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction.
This will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of latex
paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

Hot dipped galvanized nails should be okay. See:

http://www.soundcedar.com/lumber/sid...tion/nails.php

Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I see no sign
of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go with galvanized. Now to
see if I can use a nail gun.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chuck" wrote in message
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction. This
will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of latex paint
covering it. Tks. Chuck

I have not heard that "you" can't". ;~) I build more fences than the
average wood worker. I build them with cedar and galvanized ring shank
nails, in a nail gun. You will get some discoloration, eventually, if left
exposed to the elements.

IF you are also using any "modern pressure treated wood" be sure and get
the ACQ specified galvanized nails or they will react with the PT wood and
fail prematurely.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 13, 3:42*pm, Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood. Someone has
suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction. This will be used on
the outside of my house with a good coat of latex paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

Hot-dip galvanized nails should work ok, provided that they have a
good, thick coating. The problem I've seen in the past few years is
that the coating is not nearly as thick as in the past, and it can
crack and flake when being pounded in to the wood. Of course, a path
for water into the steel will lead to bleeding.

When I installed my cedar deck, all of the reputable advice (e.g., not
from the fastener manufacturers) recommended stainless steel fasteners
for cedar, so I swallowed hard and bought stainless. Still looks
great! Except now I kick myself for not swallowing a bit harder and
buying ipe decking.
Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

Gerald Ross wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical
reaction. This will be used on the outside of my house with a good
coat of latex paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

My 30 year old cedar sided house has spiral galvanized nails, acrylic
"stain" and nary a rust spot. Maybe those old nails were better.

Does "They don't make them like they used to." soud familiar?? G

P D Q
Posted to rec.woodworking

PDQ wrote:
Gerald Ross wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical
reaction. This will be used on the outside of my house with a good
coat of latex paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

My 30 year old cedar sided house has spiral galvanized nails, acrylic
"stain" and nary a rust spot. Maybe those old nails were better.

Does "They don't make them like they used to." soud familiar?? G

P D Q

OK I am gonna use SS. Screws. Square drive and about 2 1/2" long,
Thanks to all for the input. Really appreciate it. Chuck
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chuck wrote:

Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I
see no sign of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go
with galvanized. Now to see if I can use a nail gun.

CAUTION: There're two kinds of galvanized: dipped and plated. Make sure you
get the dipped.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I
see no sign of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go
with galvanized. Now to see if I can use a nail gun.

CAUTION: There're two kinds of galvanized: dipped and plated. Make sure you
get the dipped.

Thanks. I decided to go with SS screws. Thanks for the help. Chuck

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 00:28:21 GMT, Chuck wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I
see no sign of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go
with galvanized. Now to see if I can use a nail gun.

CAUTION: There're two kinds of galvanized: dipped and plated. Make sure you
get the dipped.

Thanks. I decided to go with SS screws. Thanks for the help. Chuck

Good choice. The SS screws won't rust like the galvanized. SS won't
streak wood like galvanized.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 6:28:27 AM UTC-6, Chuck wrote:
Nova wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction.
This will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of latex
paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

Hot dipped galvanized nails should be okay. See:

http://www.soundcedar.com/lumber/sid...tion/nails.php

Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I see no sign
of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go with galvanized. Now to
see if I can use a nail gun.

Back in the 70s they used a different type of galvanization. But the galvanization formula used today causes the reaction.
I am certain hot dipped nails will, but am uncertain about electroplated nails.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction.
This will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of latex
paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

Hot dipped galvanized nails should be okay. See:

http://www.soundcedar.com/lumber/sid...tion/nails.php

Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I see no sign
of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go with galvanized. Now to
see if I can use a nail gun.

Back in the 70s they used a different type of galvanization. But the galvanization formula used today causes the reaction.
I am certain hot dipped nails will, but am uncertain about electroplated nails.

Hot dipped galvanized shouldn't be an issue for cedar. They are
frowned on for outdoor use today because the chemistry used in modern
pressure treated lumber will defeat galvanizing of any kind thanks to
the EPA saving us from ourselves.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction.
This will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of latex
paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

Hot dipped galvanized nails should be okay. See:

http://www.soundcedar.com/lumber/sid...tion/nails.php

Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I see no sign
of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go with galvanized. Now to
see if I can use a nail gun.

Back in the 70s they used a different type of galvanization. But the galvanization formula used today causes the reaction.
I am certain hot dipped nails will, but am uncertain about electroplated nails.

Twelve years later,,,, When I put up fencing it was advised to use
Aluminum nails to prevent staining.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction.
This will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of latex
paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

Hot dipped galvanized nails should be okay. See:

http://www.soundcedar.com/lumber/sid...tion/nails.php

Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I see no sign
of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go with galvanized. Now to
see if I can use a nail gun.

Back in the 70s they used a different type of galvanization. But the galvanization formula used today causes the reaction.
I am certain hot dipped nails will, but am uncertain about electroplated nails.

Twelve years later,,,, When I put up fencing it was advised to use
Aluminum nails to prevent staining.

In modern times, stainless nails are preferred for cedar siding.
They're cheap, compared to the siding and the labor to put the stuff
on the wall.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
Chuck wrote:
[...]

I have used stainless steel with cedar, leaves black runs from the
nail heads.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
Chuck wrote:
[...]

Some stainless stains more than others. Your area (salt, in
particular) dictates which formulation is needed. The more common 304
stainless is less corrosion resistant (particularly to salt) than 18/8
or 18/10.