Woodworking (rec.woodworking) Discussion forum covering all aspects of working with wood. All levels of expertise are encouraged to particiapte.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 94
Default Cedar and galvanized nails

Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood. Someone has
suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction. This will be used on
the outside of my house with a good coat of latex paint covering it. Tks. Chuck
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,376
Default Cedar and galvanized nails

Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction.
This will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of latex
paint covering it. Tks. Chuck


Hot dipped galvanized nails should be okay. See:

http://www.soundcedar.com/lumber/sid...tion/nails.php

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

  #3   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 204
Default Cedar and galvanized nails

Nova wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction.
This will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of
latex paint covering it. Tks. Chuck


Hot dipped galvanized nails should be okay. See:

http://www.soundcedar.com/lumber/sid...tion/nails.php


If you do not want the nails to "bleed" all over the holes use stainless.

The reaction is to the stuff in cedar that makes it the wood resist rotting.

Does not matter if the nails are painted over they will rust in short order.

Mine did and I switched to stainless - no more rot and no more bleeding

P D Q
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,764
Default Cedar and galvanized nails

On Feb 13, 6:42*pm, Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood. Someone has
suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction. This will be used on
the outside of my house with a good coat of latex paint covering it. Tks. Chuck


I had a gorgeous cedar clapboard job ruined because the nails gave up
the ghost. The dark streaks made it an eyesore. If it's painted
you'll _probably_ not have a problem with galvanized nails, but I'd
use stainless anyway. It's cheap insurance.

R
  #6   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 254
Default Cedar and galvanized nails

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 23:42:18 GMT, Chuck wrote:

Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood. Someone has
suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction. This will be used on
the outside of my house with a good coat of latex paint covering it. Tks. Chuck


Well, McFeeley's is in the business of selling stainless steel nails,
so they might be a bit overselling, but here's a link that claims hot
dip galvanized nails aren't the best option with Western Red cedar:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/stainless-nails

On the other hand, the Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau recommends
stainless, hot-dipped zinc, or aluminum nails.

http://www.cedarbureau.org/installat...ual/page05.htm

Suffice to say, the coating on a galvanized nail might fail and might
stain, while stainless will not.

If you go with galvanized, get double hot-dipped nails, which should
eliminate defects in the coating that will stain.

Jim


  #7   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 401
Default Cedar and galvanized nails

Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood. Someone has
suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction. This will be used on
the outside of my house with a good coat of latex paint covering it. Tks. Chuck


My 30 year old cedar sided house has spiral galvanized nails, acrylic
"stain" and nary a rust spot. Maybe those old nails were better.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

All stressed out, and no one to choke...




  #8   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 94
Default Cedar and galvanized nails

Nova wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction.
This will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of latex
paint covering it. Tks. Chuck


Hot dipped galvanized nails should be okay. See:

http://www.soundcedar.com/lumber/sid...tion/nails.php


Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I see no sign
of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go with galvanized. Now to
see if I can use a nail gun.
  #9   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,035
Default Cedar and galvanized nails


"Chuck" wrote in message
...
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction. This
will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of latex paint
covering it. Tks. Chuck



I have not heard that "you" can't". ;~) I build more fences than the
average wood worker. I build them with cedar and galvanized ring shank
nails, in a nail gun. You will get some discoloration, eventually, if left
exposed to the elements.

IF you are also using any "modern pressure treated wood" be sure and get
the ACQ specified galvanized nails or they will react with the PT wood and
fail prematurely.


  #10   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 78
Default Cedar and galvanized nails

You can buy screws for cedar they are brown anodized coated

http://www.sportcompactcar.info/4084...iew-44763.html






"Chuck" wrote in message
...
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction. This
will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of latex paint
covering it. Tks. Chuck





  #11   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 61
Default Cedar and galvanized nails

On Feb 13, 3:42*pm, Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood. Someone has
suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction. This will be used on
the outside of my house with a good coat of latex paint covering it. Tks. Chuck


Hot-dip galvanized nails should work ok, provided that they have a
good, thick coating. The problem I've seen in the past few years is
that the coating is not nearly as thick as in the past, and it can
crack and flake when being pounded in to the wood. Of course, a path
for water into the steel will lead to bleeding.

When I installed my cedar deck, all of the reputable advice (e.g., not
from the fastener manufacturers) recommended stainless steel fasteners
for cedar, so I swallowed hard and bought stainless. Still looks
great! Except now I kick myself for not swallowing a bit harder and
buying ipe decking.
  #12   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 204
Default Cedar and galvanized nails

Gerald Ross wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical
reaction. This will be used on the outside of my house with a good
coat of latex paint covering it. Tks. Chuck


My 30 year old cedar sided house has spiral galvanized nails, acrylic
"stain" and nary a rust spot. Maybe those old nails were better.


Does "They don't make them like they used to." soud familiar?? G

P D Q
  #13   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 94
Default Cedar and galvanized nails

PDQ wrote:
Gerald Ross wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical
reaction. This will be used on the outside of my house with a good
coat of latex paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

My 30 year old cedar sided house has spiral galvanized nails, acrylic
"stain" and nary a rust spot. Maybe those old nails were better.


Does "They don't make them like they used to." soud familiar?? G

P D Q



OK I am gonna use SS. Screws. Square drive and about 2 1/2" long,
Thanks to all for the input. Really appreciate it. Chuck
  #14   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,538
Default Cedar and galvanized nails

Chuck wrote:

Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I
see no sign of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go
with galvanized. Now to see if I can use a nail gun.


CAUTION: There're two kinds of galvanized: dipped and plated. Make sure you
get the dipped.


  #15   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 94
Default Cedar and galvanized nails

HeyBub wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I
see no sign of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go
with galvanized. Now to see if I can use a nail gun.


CAUTION: There're two kinds of galvanized: dipped and plated. Make sure you
get the dipped.


Thanks. I decided to go with SS screws. Thanks for the help. Chuck


  #16   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,597
Default Cedar and galvanized nails

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 00:28:21 GMT, Chuck wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I
see no sign of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go
with galvanized. Now to see if I can use a nail gun.


CAUTION: There're two kinds of galvanized: dipped and plated. Make sure you
get the dipped.


Thanks. I decided to go with SS screws. Thanks for the help. Chuck



Good choice. The SS screws won't rust like the galvanized. SS won't
streak wood like galvanized.
  #17   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Cedar and galvanized nails

On Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 6:28:27 AM UTC-6, Chuck wrote:
Nova wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction.
This will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of latex
paint covering it. Tks. Chuck


Hot dipped galvanized nails should be okay. See:

http://www.soundcedar.com/lumber/sid...tion/nails.php

Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I see no sign
of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go with galvanized. Now to
see if I can use a nail gun.


Back in the 70s they used a different type of galvanization. But the galvanization formula used today causes the reaction.
I am certain hot dipped nails will, but am uncertain about electroplated nails.
  #18   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 524
Default Cedar and galvanized nails

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 21:03:48 -0700 (PDT), Class Act Rain Gutters
wrote:

On Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 6:28:27 AM UTC-6, Chuck wrote:
Nova wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction.
This will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of latex
paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

Hot dipped galvanized nails should be okay. See:

http://www.soundcedar.com/lumber/sid...tion/nails.php

Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I see no sign
of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go with galvanized. Now to
see if I can use a nail gun.


Back in the 70s they used a different type of galvanization. But the galvanization formula used today causes the reaction.
I am certain hot dipped nails will, but am uncertain about electroplated nails.


Hot dipped galvanized shouldn't be an issue for cedar. They are
frowned on for outdoor use today because the chemistry used in modern
pressure treated lumber will defeat galvanizing of any kind thanks to
the EPA saving us from ourselves.


  #19   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,155
Default Cedar and galvanized nails

On 4/29/2021 11:03 PM, Class Act Rain Gutters wrote:
On Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 6:28:27 AM UTC-6, Chuck wrote:
Nova wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction.
This will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of latex
paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

Hot dipped galvanized nails should be okay. See:

http://www.soundcedar.com/lumber/sid...tion/nails.php

Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I see no sign
of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go with galvanized. Now to
see if I can use a nail gun.


Back in the 70s they used a different type of galvanization. But the galvanization formula used today causes the reaction.
I am certain hot dipped nails will, but am uncertain about electroplated nails.



Twelve years later,,,, When I put up fencing it was advised to use
Aluminum nails to prevent staining.


  #20   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,833
Default Cedar and galvanized nails

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 11:07:08 -0500, Leon [email protected]
wrote:

On 4/29/2021 11:03 PM, Class Act Rain Gutters wrote:
On Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 6:28:27 AM UTC-6, Chuck wrote:
Nova wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction.
This will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of latex
paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

Hot dipped galvanized nails should be okay. See:

http://www.soundcedar.com/lumber/sid...tion/nails.php

Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I see no sign
of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go with galvanized. Now to
see if I can use a nail gun.


Back in the 70s they used a different type of galvanization. But the galvanization formula used today causes the reaction.
I am certain hot dipped nails will, but am uncertain about electroplated nails.



Twelve years later,,,, When I put up fencing it was advised to use
Aluminum nails to prevent staining.

In modern times, stainless nails are preferred for cedar siding.
They're cheap, compared to the siding and the labor to put the stuff
on the wall.


  #21   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 39
Default Cedar and galvanized nails

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 16:29:13 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 11:07:08 -0500, Leon [email protected]
wrote:

On 4/29/2021 11:03 PM, Class Act Rain Gutters wrote:
On Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 6:28:27 AM UTC-6, Chuck wrote:
Nova wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction.
This will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of latex
paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

Hot dipped galvanized nails should be okay. See:

http://www.soundcedar.com/lumber/sid...tion/nails.php

Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I see no sign
of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go with galvanized. Now to
see if I can use a nail gun.

Back in the 70s they used a different type of galvanization. But the galvanization formula used today causes the reaction.
I am certain hot dipped nails will, but am uncertain about electroplated nails.



Twelve years later,,,, When I put up fencing it was advised to use
Aluminum nails to prevent staining.

In modern times, stainless nails are preferred for cedar siding.
They're cheap, compared to the siding and the labor to put the stuff
on the wall.


I have used stainless steel with cedar, leaves black runs from the
nail heads.
  #22   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,833
Default Cedar and galvanized nails

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 15:39:36 -0500, Markem618
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 16:29:13 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 11:07:08 -0500, Leon [email protected]
wrote:

On 4/29/2021 11:03 PM, Class Act Rain Gutters wrote:
On Saturday, February 14, 2009 at 6:28:27 AM UTC-6, Chuck wrote:
Nova wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood.
Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction.
This will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of latex
paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

Hot dipped galvanized nails should be okay. See:

http://www.soundcedar.com/lumber/sid...tion/nails.php

Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I see no sign
of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go with galvanized. Now to
see if I can use a nail gun.

Back in the 70s they used a different type of galvanization. But the galvanization formula used today causes the reaction.
I am certain hot dipped nails will, but am uncertain about electroplated nails.



Twelve years later,,,, When I put up fencing it was advised to use
Aluminum nails to prevent staining.

In modern times, stainless nails are preferred for cedar siding.
They're cheap, compared to the siding and the labor to put the stuff
on the wall.


I have used stainless steel with cedar, leaves black runs from the
nail heads.


Some stainless stains more than others. Your area (salt, in
particular) dictates which formulation is needed. The more common 304
stainless is less corrosion resistant (particularly to salt) than 18/8
or 18/10.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Galvanized finish nails for outdoor use JohnnyC Home Repair 11 August 28th 08 01:42 PM
Cedar Hope Chests 100% Cedar liukaiyuan Woodworking 0 June 12th 08 09:36 AM
Hot galvanized roofing nails zxcvbob Home Repair 6 November 12th 06 02:36 AM
galvanized finishing nails Chris Carruth Woodworking 6 December 8th 05 02:56 AM
Bright nails instead of galvanized on siding Budman Home Repair 8 July 27th 05 05:21 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"