Posted to rec.woodworking

Default dado sets: comments on delta 35-7680?

My Systimatic Fine dado set has been sharpened for the last time. But
it's a set I've never been pleased with for any kind of crosscuts in
plywood (especially oak).

From what I can gather from the literature, a replacement set can
either be an A grade (Freud SD508, Infinity, Ridge, Forest Amana,
Systimatic Super Fine, Dicor, Forrest) all starting at about $200, or
the B grade (Freud SD208, Systimatic Fine, others?) starting around $85.
The tradoffs seem to be the flat bottoms and the way they handle plywood.

I'm just wondering where this Delta blade fits into the mix. The price
is on the B grade side, yet the cutters look similar to the A grades
(Forrest). Can anyone comment on the performance of this blade on
plywood, and in particular, crosscuts in red oak and cherry?

Thanks,
Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill Wichser" wrote in message
My Systimatic Fine dado set has been sharpened for the last time. But
it's a set I've never been pleased with for any kind of crosscuts in
plywood (especially oak).

From what I can gather from the literature, a replacement set can either
be an A grade (Freud SD508, Infinity, Ridge, Forest Amana, Systimatic
Super Fine, Dicor, Forrest) all starting at about $200, or the B grade
(Freud SD208, Systimatic Fine, others?) starting around $85. The tradoffs
seem to be the flat bottoms and the way they handle plywood.

I'm just wondering where this Delta blade fits into the mix. The price is
on the B grade side, yet the cutters look similar to the A grades
(Forrest). Can anyone comment on the performance of this blade on
plywood, and in particular, crosscuts in red oak and cherry?

Thanks,
Bill

Something to consider about the "look a likes" that cost less. While they
look like the more expensive brands and may start out cutting pretty good,
they probably use a less expensive carbide. The Forrest blades use a top
quality carbide that holds it edge for a very long time. A cheaper set that
cuts pretty good may not be so cheap if you have to have them resharpened
more often.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 9, 7:57*pm, Bill Wichser wrote:
My Systimatic Fine dado set has been sharpened for the last time. *But
it's a set I've never been pleased with for any kind of crosscuts in
plywood (especially oak).

*From what I can gather from the literature, a replacement set can
either be an A grade (Freud SD508, Infinity, Ridge, Forest Amana,
Systimatic Super Fine, Dicor, Forrest) all starting at about $200, *or
the B grade (Freud SD208, Systimatic Fine, others?) starting around $85.
* The tradoffs seem to be the flat bottoms and the way they handle plywood.

I'm just wondering where this Delta blade fits into the mix. *The price
is on the B grade side, yet the cutters look similar to the A grades
(Forrest). *Can anyone comment on the performance of this blade on
plywood, and in particular, crosscuts in red oak and cherry?

Thanks,
Bill

I have the Delta 35-7670 8-Inch Stacked Dado Set that Amazon carries
(there is another set by DeWalt which looks identical) and it's worked
really well for me. I haven't used it much, but I used it to put 1/2"
grooves in some pressure treated SYP, and they still work fine on oak.
I have a 35+ year old 9" Delta contractor's saw, and even though my
saw may be underpowered for the blades, it still cuts great and gives
me a nice smooth bottom.

The included shims are metal, which I like, and the case is nice. It's
a plastic "brief case" style case with secure wing nuts to hold the
blades and chippers in place, and the shims are in little plastic
pockets in the case.

-Nathan
Posted to rec.woodworking

First investigate.

Plywood is metric and doesn't fit many dado blade sets.

I think I got one from De Walt that was filled with lots of
thin stacker's and contained a many chipper blades.

I can match anything with it. Be cautious - a good buy might
not fit todays wood that is coming from Chile or Canada.

Martin

N Hurst wrote:
On Feb 9, 7:57 pm, Bill Wichser wrote:
My Systimatic Fine dado set has been sharpened for the last time. But
it's a set I've never been pleased with for any kind of crosscuts in
plywood (especially oak).

From what I can gather from the literature, a replacement set can
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
First investigate.

Plywood is metric and doesn't fit many dado blade sets.

I think I got one from De Walt that was filled with lots of
thin stacker's and contained a many chipper blades.

I can match anything with it. Be cautious - a good buy might
not fit todays wood that is coming from Chile or Canada.

A decent dado set will come with shim kits to correct that problem. My Dado
King set came with shims and I have never had a problem cutting a dado to
any thickness, metric, imperial, or custom.

Amazon 25% off Freud dado sets Kevin Woodworking 0 July 29th 08 01:59 AM
grizzly dado sets JB[_2_] Woodworking 0 October 21st 07 08:06 AM
Comments on Griz. G3183 Morticer? and Delta 23-700 tool sharpener? sailor Woodworking 0 September 30th 06 06:41 PM
Typical of dado sets (or is mine not so good)? toller Woodworking 6 November 29th 04 08:49 PM
Dado blade for Delta 36-540 gr Woodworking 2 July 29th 03 11:45 PM