Posted to rec.woodworking
N Hurst N Hurst is offline

Default dado sets: comments on delta 35-7680?

On Feb 9, 7:57*pm, Bill Wichser wrote:
My Systimatic Fine dado set has been sharpened for the last time. *But
it's a set I've never been pleased with for any kind of crosscuts in
plywood (especially oak).

*From what I can gather from the literature, a replacement set can
either be an A grade (Freud SD508, Infinity, Ridge, Forest Amana,
Systimatic Super Fine, Dicor, Forrest) all starting at about $200, *or
the B grade (Freud SD208, Systimatic Fine, others?) starting around $85.
* The tradoffs seem to be the flat bottoms and the way they handle plywood.

I'm just wondering where this Delta blade fits into the mix. *The price
is on the B grade side, yet the cutters look similar to the A grades
(Forrest). *Can anyone comment on the performance of this blade on
plywood, and in particular, crosscuts in red oak and cherry?

Thanks,
Bill

I have the Delta 35-7670 8-Inch Stacked Dado Set that Amazon carries
(there is another set by DeWalt which looks identical) and it's worked
really well for me. I haven't used it much, but I used it to put 1/2"
grooves in some pressure treated SYP, and they still work fine on oak.
I have a 35+ year old 9" Delta contractor's saw, and even though my
saw may be underpowered for the blades, it still cuts great and gives
me a nice smooth bottom.

The included shims are metal, which I like, and the case is nice. It's
a plastic "brief case" style case with secure wing nuts to hold the
blades and chippers in place, and the shims are in little plastic
pockets in the case.

-Nathan