Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Edge of plywood table top.

"Chuck" wrote in message
I am replacing a table top with a nice piece of cabinet grade plywood. It
is a piece 2'x4'. I want to cover the edges of the plywood with veneer
edging. It says to use an iron to apply it. Should I start on one corner of
the side or in the middle of one side? I plan to use a pre stain sealer and
then a good oil based stain. What should I use to get a good hard finish?
Will several coats of poly provide enough protection? TIA Chuck B.

If it is a really nice table top, consider putting a real wood border around
it. Looks much better than edge banding.

Several coats of poly will give plenty of protection, but will look like
plastic unless you rub it out. Done properly, it will look like a high
quality hand rubbed finish that looks very professional.

One coat of poly thinned about 10% with mineral spirits
lightly sand
Second, third coats full strength, sand between with 320 grit
Fourth coat if needed

Cure for at least two weeks, four is better

Wet sand with 400 grit
Rub with pumice
Rub with rottenstone
Wax
Admire

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 6, 8:22*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Chuck" wrote in message

[...]

Not only will a solid wood edging look better, it may prove more
durable. A thin veneer edging presents a sort of "sharp" edge when
something is dragged across it, say a sleeve of a jacket, and is more
likely to be caught and separated from the table top. A solid edging,
say 1/4-inch thick, with rounded edges, will present a softer, more
forgiving surface to objects which may drag across that edge.