Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ? what hardwood for window mullions and purlins ?

Hi, I'm designing an old-timey style multi-pane wood window where
wooden mullions and purlins have channels to hold panes of glass. For
this application the energy efficiency is not important but the
durability is. I would prefer a
hardwood, not cedar, and a wood that is more resistant to cracking
parallel to its grain. (I found that as strong as red oak is, it
likes to crack that way.)

What are some low to moderately priced hardwoods that would fit the
bill?

Thanks,
zeb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 29, 6:24*pm, wrote:
Hi, I'm designing an old-timey style multi-pane wood window where
wooden mullions and purlins have channels to hold panes of glass. *For
this application the energy efficiency is not important but the
durability is. *I would prefer a
hardwood, not cedar, and a wood that is more resistant to cracking
parallel to its grain. *(I found that as strong as red oak is, it
likes to crack that way.)

What are some low to moderately priced hardwoods that would fit the
bill?

Ipe is hard and rot resistant and not too too expensive. Different
types of "lyptus" are also becoming widely available and are also very
good outside. You've also got teak and mahogany that are pretty good,
but more expensive. How about white oak? Are these going to be
painted? Cypress is a bit tougher than cedar or redwood, and still
holds up real well in the weather. I've also read that cherry and
even walnut are pretty decent outside, although I've no experience.

I'd look at ipe and lyptus. You might can find decking boards that
would suit your needs at a pretty good price. Personally, I'd go with
cypress. I built some garden stuff out of it that is as good as day
one, and it's outside year round here in upstate New York.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 15:44:18 -0800 (PST), Jay Pique
wrote:

On Jan 29, 6:24Â*pm, wrote:
Hi, I'm designing an old-timey style multi-pane wood window where
wooden mullions and purlins have channels to hold panes of glass. Â*For
this application the energy efficiency is not important but the
durability is. Â*I would prefer a
hardwood, not cedar, and a wood that is more resistant to cracking
parallel to its grain. Â*(I found that as strong as red oak is, it
[...]

Had a rail fence back on the farm over 100 years old. Many rails were
cherry. Some were Chestnut, and some were Hickory. Some were white
oak. I think some were walnut (black) and I know some were hornbeam
(ironwood)
Then there were the cedar ones.

We had an elm bush, but I don't think any of the (surviving) rails
were elm.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Jan 29, 6:24Â*pm, wrote:
[...]

Douglas Fir was the most common sash material here in Ontario years
back.

purlins in aircrete sm_jamieson UK diy 2 July 3rd 07 10:59 PM
Finish hardwood window with wax only? [email protected] Woodworking 3 July 26th 06 03:09 AM
Raised panel doors with mullions Sasha Woodworking 5 December 3rd 05 02:02 PM
Need Instructions On Glass Doors With Mullions Woody Woodworking 7 February 23rd 05 09:32 PM
are purlins shared by semis? Zipadee Doodar UK diy 28 February 10th 05 03:04 PM