Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is the Freud 2 1/4 HP VS Router any good?

Woodcrapt has the fixed and plunge base kit for $129.99

[Or should I just save up for the Porter Cable version?]

-j
Posted to rec.woodworking

"JoanD'arcRoast" wrote in message
. ..
Woodcrapt has the fixed and plunge base kit for $129.99

[Or should I just save up for the Porter Cable version?]

-j

You can probably do better than the PC also, Bosch, Triton, Milwaukee,
Makita, etc. PC is not the great tool that it used to be.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 29, 10:08*am, "Leon" wrote:

Woodcrapt has the fixed and plunge base kit for $129.99

I wouldn't buy from anyplace named that. Too stupid to consider it.

[Or should I just save up for the Porter Cable version?]

You can probably do better than the PC also, Bosch, Triton, Milwaukee,
Makita, etc. *PC is not the great tool that it used to be.

What Leon said.

I saw that in the ad and laughed. If you want to get some
enlightening reviews on this machine, check it out on Amazon. I have
read reviews of this combo that were even more harsh than the ones
posted there.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Leon
wrote:

"JoanD'arcRoast" wrote in message
. ..
Woodcrapt has the fixed and plunge base kit for $129.99

[Or should I just save up for the Porter Cable version?]

-j

You can probably do better than the PC also, Bosch, Triton, Milwaukee,
Makita, etc. PC is not the great tool that it used to be.

Any links to web pages with some trustworthy tool reviews?

thanks,
-j
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 29, 11:05*am, JoanD'arcRoast wrote:

Any links to web pages with some trustworthy tool reviews?

The best way to search for something like this is to define what you
want to look for. Do you want a 2hp? Do you want a bigger router?
Do you want a plunger? Etc., etc.

Then go to different manufacturer's websites, read the features on the
models that fit your general needs, and DAGS them from there.

I usually start out at Amazon, and although you have to take some of
the reviews on tools there with a grain of salt, some are pretty spot
on.

Personally, I am tired of reading the crap in the wood mags that say
things like "so if you need a tool that doesn't cut well, but works
for occasional use, has poor customer service, keeping in mind they
eventually DID replace the bad motor, and is a little pricey for its
class, this could be the tool for you".

Tool reviews are easy to find with just a couple of minutes on Google.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 29, 1:55*pm, "
wrote:

Personally, I am tired of reading the crap in the wood mags that say
things like "so if you need a tool that doesn't cut well, but works
for occasional use, has poor customer service, keeping in mind they
eventually DID replace the bad motor, and is a little pricey for its
class, this could be the tool for you".

I don't care who you are, but that's pretty funny right there..
..
..
..
..

and spot-on.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jan 29, 1:55 pm, "
wrote:

Personally, I am tired of reading the crap in the wood mags that say
things like "so if you need a tool that doesn't cut well, but works
for occasional use, has poor customer service, keeping in mind they
eventually DID replace the bad motor, and is a little pricey for its
class, this could be the tool for you".

I don't care who you are, but that's pretty funny right there..
..
..
..
..
Damn right it is. and you could probably add "because they took out a full
page ad in our mag, please see page xx" to the end of it.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 29, 3:57*pm, "Joe" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Jan 29, 1:55 pm, "
wrote:

Personally, I am tired of reading the crap in the wood mags that say
things like "so if you need a tool that doesn't cut well, but works
for occasional use, has poor customer service, keeping in mind they
eventually DID replace the bad motor, and is a little pricey for its
class, this could be the tool for you".

I don't care who you are, but that's pretty funny right there..
.
.
.
.
Damn right it is. *and you could probably add "because they took out a full
page ad in our mag, please see page xx" to the end of it.

jc

I know that to be true. I once called a US based audiophile magazine
about arranging a review of my line of loudspeakers. I had already
been reviewed favourably in Canadian, German and French magazines, so
I thought it was the next logical step. I was told that they would
send me a kit that would start the process.
What I got in the mail, you guessed it, was a rate card for
advertising.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In my real life I have purchased "literally" millions of dollars of
magazine advertisements as well as pushing to get editorial ink for my
products. It used to be that in the US most magazines kept things very
separated, even religiously so. Europe, not so much. To be honest,
even though is has deteriorated some, I thik as far as the bias will
go is to maybe have a bad review pulled. If the author is an on staff
editor or regular contributor you are pretty safe in knowing that they
believe what they are writing. Of course some of them are only capable
of regurgitating what someone tells them but you can usually spot
those guys. If the article is from someone you haven't seen published
before or there is no direct attribution, it could then be an article
that was pitched by a vendor either directly or surreptitiously having
paid the author to write it and get it published. Even then you will
likely see some integrity from the author and also the editorial staff
will try to make sure they aren't publishing lies at the least.

On Jan 29, 1:06*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 29, 3:57*pm, "Joe" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Jan 29, 1:55 pm, "
wrote:

[...]

advertising.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
Woodcrapt has the fixed and plunge base kit for $129.99

[Or should I just save up for the Porter Cable version?]

-j

I had to ask the same thing. I have a Porter Cable mounted full time in
a router table and absolutely love it. Just recently took the plunge on
a dovetail jig though and decided I needed a second router. I watched
Ebay for a while but to get a second PC motor for my other base but they
were running around $150. Saw the Woodcraft ad and got excited. Read
the reviews at Amazon and had second thoughts. Read some reviews
elsewhere that were also a mixed bag. While trying to find more reviews
I found Lowes.com has this same unit on their website for $99. If
Woodcraft were closer I would have spent the extra to go with them
however... Decided if I didn't like it I could return it to Lowes and
went ahead.

I don't know if the reviewers on Amazon were from a Freud competitor,
were reviewing a different model, or just got a bad ones. I definitely
got a good one. I would put it about par with my PC (895) which if I
recall ran about $260. The plunge base is smooth with no play. The
rubber bellows are kind of noisy. The above table adjust is equal to
maybe a bit superior to the PC. The Spindle and collet is a bit lighter
than the PC but still more than adequate. The switch on mine did not
leave me the slightest concern though the dual location switch on my PC
is more convenient. About the only fault I found is the speed control
is recessed in the top and kind of hard to adjust. You also cannot fit
everything back in the case unless it is mounted in the plunge base.
Neither very big deals for me.

I am certainly pleased with it for whatever it is worth.

Daryl
Posted to rec.woodworking

" laid this on me:

On Jan 29, 10:08*am, "Leon" wrote:

Woodcrapt has the fixed and plunge base kit for $129.99

I wouldn't buy from anyplace named that. Too stupid to consider it.

[Or should I just save up for the Porter Cable version?]

You can probably do better than the PC also, Bosch, Triton, Milwaukee,
Makita, etc. *PC is not the great tool that it used to be.

What Leon said.

I saw that in the ad and laughed. If you want to get some
enlightening reviews on this machine, check it out on Amazon. I have
read reviews of this combo that were even more harsh than the ones
posted there.

Robert

One of those Amazon reviews is mine.
Overall, it's not a bad router, especially at that price point. It
'cuts' OK, power is reasonable for a 2HP, and it runs fairly smoothly.
But be ready to tighten loose screws in the bases (they bounce around
and loosen constantly); the plunge base is not the smoothest I've ever
used, and it sometimes gets stuck when trying to remove the motor to switch
bases. In the fixed base, the above table bit height adjustment works, but
after about a month, it started 'skipping' as I tried to raise the bit, so
now I have to give it support at the bottom when raising the bit. Easy
enough to work around, but a small hassle nonetheless.
To it's credit, the one wrench bit changing is good, and it does work
OK outside of these hassles. At least enough that I'm not gonna buy another
router until this one blows up.
But if I had the $$ and a time machine, I'd get the Milwaukee.

Sean
--
There is an old saying that if a million monkeys
typed on a million keyboards for a million years,
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

"JoanD'arcRoast" wrote in message
. ..
Woodcrapt has the fixed and plunge base kit for $129.99

[Or should I just save up for the Porter Cable version?]

-j

You can probably do better than the PC also, Bosch, Triton, Milwaukee,
Makita, etc. PC is not the great tool that it used to be.

My Bosch 1617EVSPK fixed/plunge kit arrived today. Not only did Amazon have
the lowest price I found online, but there was an RA1064 edge guide I didn't
expect bundled with the router kit. Free accessories, cool. For an extra
seventy-five bucks getting something that I have yet to hear anyone say
anything bad about seemed like a good way to go.

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

In my real life I have purchased "literally" millions of dollars of
magazine advertisements as well as pushing to get editorial ink for my
products. It used to be that in the US most magazines kept things very
separated, even religiously so. Europe, not so much.

I can recall seeing magazines from the UK which offered reviews which didn't
seem to have been influenced as heavily by advertising as their U.S.
counterparts, guitars and related gear is one area that comes to mind.

To be honest,
even though is has deteriorated some, I thik as far as the bias will
go is to maybe have a bad review pulled. If the author is an on staff
editor or regular contributor you are pretty safe in knowing that they
believe what they are writing.

As someone who has been on that side of the glass I can tell you reviewers
know how far they can go with product reviews depending on the publication's
relationship with the advertiser. If a product really stinks and the
publication doesn't want to lose credibility with its readers (which in time
can reduce its appeal to advertisers) then either there will be no review at
all or it will take the form of a re-written press release from the mfg. but
without being presented as a test report. Obviously some publications
aren't that picky, they'll praise anything if the mfg. buys enough ad space.
One can turn down opportunities to write reviews where one isn't willing to
overlook a product's flaws, at least with some publications, but others will
assume such an attitude means you don't want any more checks from them. The
trick is in knowing which publications value their credibility enough to
decline to print obvious BS....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Daryl wrote in news:gTsgl.772$N5.158
@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

*snip*
You also cannot fit
everything back in the case unless it is mounted in the plunge base.
Neither very big deals for me.

I am certainly pleased with it for whatever it is worth.

Daryl

Case: (n) 1. The last place you'll look for the tool. 2. A good place to
hide little-used accessories. 3. A surrounding designed to protect the box
during shipping but not after. 4. Tamper evident security device.

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Must be part of "TEAM MEDIOCRE" he he he.. GO TEAM!

craig

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jan 29, 1:55 pm, "
wrote:

Personally, I am tired of reading the crap in the wood mags that say
things like "so if you need a tool that doesn't cut well, but works
for occasional use, has poor customer service, keeping in mind they
eventually DID replace the bad motor, and is a little pricey for its
class, this could be the tool for you".

I don't care who you are, but that's pretty funny right there..
..
..
..
..

and spot-on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DGDevin wrote:

My Bosch 1617EVSPK fixed/plunge kit arrived today.

I have several of those routers, and I'd buy them again without hesitation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:

My Bosch 1617EVSPK fixed/plunge kit arrived today.

I have several of those routers, and I'd buy them again without
hesitation.

Got any recommendations on a benchtop table? I just spotted a used Delta
locally (real cheap) but the only user review I've found was highly
unfavorable so maybe that's why it's real cheap. Space is at a premium so I
need something compact.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DGDevin" wrote in message
m...
B A R R Y wrote:

My Bosch 1617EVSPK fixed/plunge kit arrived today.

I have several of those routers, and I'd buy them again without
hesitation.

Got any recommendations on a benchtop table? I just spotted a used Delta
locally (real cheap) but the only user review I've found was highly
unfavorable so maybe that's why it's real cheap. Space is at a premium so
I need something compact.

BenchDog.com has a full line of router table configurations. Stand alone,
bench top, and table saw table extension. Pretty good stuff, I have been
using the stand alone since 04/2001 and is no worse for wear.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jan 29, 3:57 pm, "Joe" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Jan 29, 1:55 pm, "
wrote:

[...]

Let me guess...Stereophile?

Posted to rec.woodworking

DGDevin wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:

My Bosch 1617EVSPK fixed/plunge kit arrived today.

I have several of those routers, and I'd buy them again without
hesitation.

Got any recommendations on a benchtop table?

Seven or eight years ago, I built my own, with two layers of MDF,
laminate, and a Rousseau plate.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:52:15 -0800, DGDevin wrote:

B A R R Y wrote:

My Bosch 1617EVSPK fixed/plunge kit arrived today.

I have several of those routers, and I'd buy them again without
hesitation.

Got any recommendations on a benchtop table? I just spotted a used
Delta locally (real cheap) but the only user review I've found was
highly unfavorable so maybe that's why it's real cheap. Space is at a
premium so I need something compact.

If you don't want to build your own, there are several out there. I
wound up getting one from MLCS with folding legs. I plan on hinging it
off the side of a rolling tool stand eventually, but in the meantime it
works fine on the bench. There are undoubtedly better ones out there,
but not for the price.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

:
: jc

: I know that to be true. I once called a US based audiophile magazine
: about arranging a review of my line of loudspeakers. I had already
: been reviewed favourably in Canadian, German and French magazines, so
: I thought it was the next logical step. I was told that they would
: send me a kit that would start the process.
: What I got in the mail, you guessed it, was a rate card for
: advertising.

: Let me guess...Stereophile?

I'd be cautious about extrapolating from audiophile magazines to
woodworking (or any other type of magazine). Audiophiles, and the magazines
that cater to them, are incredibly irrational. These are the guys
who pay a thousand dollars a foot for speaker wire that is
equivalent in transmission to lamp cord from Ace Hardware;
rub green Sharpies along the edges of their CDs to make them sound
better; etc. And the mags are full of "serious" "reviews" of these
products. The woodworking equivalent would be something like
thinking you can cut a pice of wood more accurately on a tablesaw
if you stick a piece of bubblegum to the underside of your bandsaw.

The whole field of audiophilia is full of snake oil, its producers, and
deluded saps who buy it.

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andrew Barss" wrote

I'd be cautious about extrapolating from audiophile magazines to
woodworking (or any other type of magazine). Audiophiles, and the
magazines
that cater to them, are incredibly irrational. These are the guys
who pay a thousand dollars a foot for speaker wire that is
equivalent in transmission to lamp cord from Ace Hardware;
rub green Sharpies along the edges of their CDs to make them sound
better; etc. And the mags are full of "serious" "reviews" of these
products.

The woodworking equivalent would be something like
thinking you can cut a pice of wood more accurately on a tablesaw
if you stick a piece of bubblegum to the underside of your bandsaw.

Well, it would depend on the type/brand/quality of bubble gum. G

Freud 3 1/4 Plunge Router Magenta Woodworking 6 January 20th 07 01:57 AM
good deal on a router - Freud at Rockler Andy Woodworking 1 December 2nd 06 01:39 AM
Need Help with my Freud FT2000E Router Tom H Woodworking 11 November 7th 06 04:12 PM
Freud router bit set CNT Woodworking 13 June 22nd 05 05:40 AM
Defective Freud Router Bit? Dave Woodworking 43 March 6th 04 03:44 AM