Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need Help with my Freud FT2000E Router

I haven't used my Freud FT2000E for a while and I now find that the 1/2"
collet sticks when I try to remove a bit.
The nut comes completely un-threaded and the collet stays in tightly.

I guess I'm getting too old because I can't remember it the collet nut is
supposed to stay connected to the collet with a spring washer.

I someone could check their FT2000E and let me know, I would really
appreciate it.

TomH

Posted to rec.woodworking
Me Me is offline

Tom H wrote:
I haven't used my Freud FT2000E for a while and I now find that the 1/2"
collet sticks when I try to remove a bit.
The nut comes completely un-threaded and the collet stays in tightly.

I guess I'm getting too old because I can't remember it the collet nut is
supposed to stay connected to the collet with a spring washer.

I someone could check their FT2000E and let me know, I would really
appreciate it.

TomH

Tom the collet stays in the nut on mine.If i pull on the collet it will
come away from the nut,it doesn't have a spring washer hope this helps .
Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom H" wrote in message
. com...
I haven't used my Freud FT2000E for a while and I now find that the 1/2"
collet sticks when I try to remove a bit.
The nut comes completely un-threaded and the collet stays in tightly.

I guess I'm getting too old because I can't remember it the collet nut is
supposed to stay connected to the collet with a spring washer.

I someone could check their FT2000E and let me know, I would really
appreciate it.

TomH

My old Bosch will do that at times. Try tapping the router bit shank with
the wrench a few times.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom H wrote:
I haven't used my Freud FT2000E for a while and I now find that the
1/2" collet sticks when I try to remove a bit.
The nut comes completely un-threaded and the collet stays in tightly.

I guess I'm getting too old because I can't remember it the collet
nut is supposed to stay connected to the collet with a spring washer.

I someone could check their FT2000E and let me know, I would really
appreciate it.

TomH

This will happen almost every time the router is left alone for a period of
time,sometimes due to tempreture change or the thin film of lubricant on
the collet keeping it in the shaft.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 16:59:48 GMT, "Tom H" wrote:

I haven't used my Freud FT2000E for a while and I now find that the

1/2"
collet sticks when I try to remove a bit.
The nut comes completely un-threaded and the collet stays in tightly.

I guess I'm getting too old because I can't remember it the collet

nut is
supposed to stay connected to the collet with a spring washer.

I someone could check their FT2000E and let me know, I would really
appreciate it.

TomH

Any tools that set for a while will lock together. If you unscrew the
net several turns and tap the nut with a block of wood, hitting
towards the motor, it should free the collet from the female sleeve.

-Lee

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom H wrote:
I haven't used my Freud FT2000E for a while and I now find that the 1/2"
collet sticks when I try to remove a bit.
The nut comes completely un-threaded and the collet stays in tightly.

I guess I'm getting too old because I can't remember it the collet nut is
supposed to stay connected to the collet with a spring washer.

I someone could check their FT2000E and let me know, I would really
appreciate it.

TomH

I have the FT2000E and there IS a snap ring inside the nut to hold the
collet in place on mine.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks All!!

I'm headed to PM Electric (the Freud St. Louis, Mo repair center) this
morning to check it out.
I'll report back what I find.
"Tom H" wrote in message
. com...
I haven't used my Freud FT2000E for a while and I now find that the 1/2"
collet sticks when I try to remove a bit.
The nut comes completely un-threaded and the collet stays in tightly.

I guess I'm getting too old because I can't remember it the collet nut is
supposed to stay connected to the collet with a spring washer.

I someone could check their FT2000E and let me know, I would really
appreciate it.

TomH

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom,

Something that no one else has mentioned is that you may have seated the bit
to deep in the collet. As others have already said, clean (mineral spirits
will work) then spray with some WD40 and wipe off excess. Next, go to the
borg and spend 10 cents (probably $1 by now) on a 1/2" rubber "O" ring.
Rove collet and place the "O" ring at the bottom. You may need 2 but the
"O" ring will keep your router bits from bottoming out.

Also, when the collet nut is first loosened, it first takes the tension off
the collet sleeve and as you keep turning it, it will spin loose for a turn
or two then it lifts the tapered collet slightly to loosen the bit. So
removing a router bit is a two stage process on the Freud (and probably
others). The nut is supposed to stay on the collet.

Bob S.

"Tom H" wrote in message
. com...
I haven't used my Freud FT2000E for a while and I now find that the 1/2"
collet sticks when I try to remove a bit.
The nut comes completely un-threaded and the collet stays in tightly.

I guess I'm getting too old because I can't remember it the collet nut is
supposed to stay connected to the collet with a spring washer.

I someone could check their FT2000E and let me know, I would really
appreciate it.

TomH

Posted to rec.woodworking

Make that "Remove" - not Rove..........long day....

Bob S.

Rove collet and place the "O" ring at the bottom. You may need 2 but the

Posted to rec.woodworking

Went to my local Freud service center, they don't stock any Freud parts,
just order them in.
They couldn't help because their schematic doesn't show a spring clip
holding the collet to the nut and without one in stock they weren't sure
what held it in.
They suggested I call Freud.
That's my next step today.
"Tom H" wrote in message
. com...
I haven't used my Freud FT2000E for a while and I now find that the 1/2"
collet sticks when I try to remove a bit.
The nut comes completely un-threaded and the collet stays in tightly.

I guess I'm getting too old because I can't remember it the collet nut is
supposed to stay connected to the collet with a spring washer.

I someone could check their FT2000E and let me know, I would really
appreciate it.

TomH

Posted to rec.woodworking

Contact Freud directly. I had the same router, which died. I sent it back
to them; they sent me a new (probably reconditioned) one.

Steve