Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Goncalo Alves for Dining table?

Hey Guys,
I'm starting on building an extension dining table. After wrestling
with what to make it with, I wanted to depart from my standards of
Cherry, Maple, Mahogany....and try something different. Of course cost
is an issue, so I'm thinking of contrasting 2 woods. Maple legs and
skirts with a special top to keep the cost in check. Here is sketchup
plan.

So I ventured over to the exotic section at the hardwood dealer...Two
caught my eye (but didn't break the bank and enough in stock to pick
over). Goncalo Alves (Tigerwood) and Bubinga. I read up a bit on both,
but wanted to see if any of you have done anything with them. This
would be a solid wood top (not a veneer) probably 7/8" thick. The
posts that popped up were pretty old and the links to pictures were
broken.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

http://www.furniturebymark.com/forgr...bledrawing.jpg

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

Nice Design Mark,

Another wood to consider, an import but probably cheaper than the woods you
listed for the top, Ipe. This wood is 2.5 times harder than Oak and is a
Medium reddish brown in color. Commonly sold at lumber yards as decking
material. It sands and polishes out to a very hard and nice surface. You
may even choose not to apply a finish, it is naturally oily.
Food for thought. IIRC a 8' 5/4 x 6 deck board is about $25-$30. Once you
square the edges, they come with soft round edges, you probably end up with
5" wide boards, 8 or 9 of them should be enough. The wood is also very
dense like Maple.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

It might actually be over powering to have that much Goncalo Alves on one
big surface.... An associate of mine made a bedroom suite and found it was
overwhelming to make all the visible surfaces out of it. I saw one of the
night stands and tend to agree with him... Perhaps a border around it or
make the boarder out of it?

Just a thought...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
MB MB is offline

I just finished a jewelery box made from GA. The wood was easy to work
with planes and scrapers. The guy at the wood store told me it was
difficult to glue with yellow glue, and suggested epoxy. I made some
tests and found yellow glue was very tough even when gluing end grain
to end grain. I wipe the surface with lacquer thinner before gluing to
remove any of the oils that might be near the surface. I've heard that
GA is good for guitar necks - perhaps the natural oils give the nneck
a nice feel...

As far as appearance of GA, there is a wide variation from piece to
piece, so picking thru the stack could get some pleasing combinations,
My dealer didn't have wide boards, if that's also the case for you, a
table top will have a lot of glue joints; add to that the dark stripes
that are not always parallel to the long edge of the board and it may
end up a visual mess.

I have made cabinet tops from bubinga and it does come in wide boards.
I used 14-16 inch boards, but I've seen slabs that must have been 30
inches wide. It is prone to chip out when planing, perhaps because it
is a little harder and the grain runs every which way. i.e a lot of
sanding may be in order... Finish it with an oil/poly type of finish
and it will be stunning.

Mitch

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 26, 5:01*pm, MB wrote:
[...]

Hey Mitch,
Thanks for the insight....others as well. I appreciate your thoughts
on glue up and finishing. I have been
concerned about too much of a good thing with a table top. I did look
at the IPE but I found it too
dark and plain for my taste in this application.
Perhaps the Bubinga would be a better choice. My dealer did have wide
boards of both the GA and Bubinga.
But I'm limited on width of the boards with a 6" jointer. How did you
handle the 16" wide boards? Do you have
a wide jointer? Just curious...
Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 27, 7:01*am, wrote:
On Jan 26, 5:01*pm, MB wrote:

[...]

wide belt sander at the cabinet shop.

what about using GA as a stripe in a field of a lighter colored wood?

i've used both bloodwood and purpleheart in a field of red oak and
it's come out well.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az
Posted to rec.woodworking
MB MB is offline

But I'm limited on width of the boards with a 6" jointer. How did you
handle the 16" wide boards? Do you have
a wide jointer? Just curious...
Mark

I don't own a jointer or planer. I let the dealer do it for me. He
usually does the planing while I wait. If it just one board or two, he
doesn't usually charge. If its more he adds 20 bucks or so. Even with
his heavy duty planer however, there was some chip out on the
bubinga.

Other interesting, but not too expensive woods are lacewood, curly
anigre, and sapele.

Mitch

Posted to rec.woodworking

MB wrote:

Other interesting, but not too expensive woods are lacewood, curly
anigre, and sapele.

Don't forget koa.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Oh, wait...you said "not too expensive". Cancel the koa, I was remembering
when I could buy it for $0.50 per board foot.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...