Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sears 10" Upside Down Radial Arm Saw cutting tiny piece of wood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwzWDLnuxCs

I thought of this solution to safely cut small pieces on my RAS.

I never saw anything like it and some may find it interesting.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwzWDLnuxCs

I thought of this solution to safely cut small pieces on my RAS.

I never saw anything like it and some may find it interesting.

Good trick. However, that particular model of RAS is on the recall list.
It does not have the safety shroud around the blade. There is none
available for retro fit. You can turn the motor housing in for $100.00.

If you don't remember to count your fingers after each use.

I sold my saw to a guy who just wanted the stand.

Dave N
Posted to rec.woodworking

Does look interesting.

I'd use ball bearing heavy drawer slides. Ease of slide and hold a line.
Martin

wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwzWDLnuxCs

I thought of this solution to safely cut small pieces on my RAS.

I never saw anything like it and some may find it interesting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 25, 10:51*pm, "David G. Nagel"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwzWDLnuxCs

I thought of this solution to safely cut small pieces on my RAS.

I never saw anything like it and some may find it interesting.

Good trick. However, that particular model of RAS is on the recall list.
It does not have the safety shroud around the blade. There is none
available for retro fit. You can turn the motor housing in for $100.00.

If you don't remember to count your fingers after each use.

I sold my saw to a guy who just wanted the stand.

Dave N

Dave,

It isn't setup like a RAS now.

The blade is FIXED.

There is no slide action of the blade.

The table slides and it is easy, (but not necessary), to install a
slide stop to prevent pushing past a certain point.

My fingers never get close to the blade.

Can you cut a tiny piece of wood on your table saw as easily and as
safely as shown in the video?

BoyntonStu

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwzWDLnuxCs

I thought of this solution to safely cut small pieces on my RAS.

I never saw anything like it and some may find it interesting.

Come on over and try the slide table, I believe that you would like
its feel.

It is steady with no side to side wiggle and it is very smooth..

It can cut and hold an accurate line time and time again.

As a RAS it was not satisfactory, and that inspired me to do the mod.

Incidentally, notice the saw table beneath the slide table.

I rip using a fence when I remove the slide table.

See the 2 previous videos.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David G. Nagel" wrote in message
Good trick. However, that particular model of RAS is on the recall list.
It does not have the safety shroud around the blade. There is none
available for retro fit. You can turn the motor housing in for $100.00.

Why would he want to get rid of a perfectly good saw?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

The blade on my table saw is fixed also. I still almost cut a finger
off. Fortunately I only nicked it.

If you look at the video close you will see that the operator's fingers
entered the blade's home ground before it stopped spinning. The blade
should have a safety shroud.

I still like the method used to cut the small piece of plywood. I will
have to see if something can be made for the table saw to do the same thing.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
"David G. Nagel" wrote in message
Good trick. However, that particular model of RAS is on the recall list.
It does not have the safety shroud around the blade. There is none
available for retro fit. You can turn the motor housing in for $100.00.

Why would he want to get rid of a perfectly good saw?

No room at the inn. The table saw, router table, planer, spindle sander,
band saw, drill press and work tables fill my 2 car garage.
Actually the saw wasn't all that good.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/26/09 12:00 AM, " wrote:

Can you cut a tiny piece of wood on your table saw as easily and as
safely as shown in the video?

Yes, it is quite easy to add a similar hold-down to a slide cutoff table.