Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dust Collector Bag

I have a Delta Dust Collector with a cloth filter bag and a plastic chip
collector bag.

When the chip collector bag gets full I empty it and also shake out the
cloth bag. Is there a better way to clean the cloth bag? Can they be
washed? How ofter should they be replaced?
Russ

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Jan 20, 8:28 pm, "Russ Stanton" wrote:
I have a Delta Dust Collector with a cloth filter bag and a plastic chip
collector bag.

When the chip collector bag gets full I empty it and also shake out the
cloth bag. Is there a better way to clean the cloth bag? Can they be
washed? How ofter should they be replaced?
Russ

Is the DC inside the shop, or outside? Except for emptying it when
necessary, I'd leave the cloth bag alone, especially if it's inside
the shop. The dust cake that develops helps to filter out a lot of the
smaller particles of dust from the air exiting the DC bag. Sure, you
can wash them, but why? I might replace the bag when my repairs start
needing repairs, but that's me. Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 20, 9:17*pm, tom wrote:
On Jan 20, 8:28 pm, "Russ Stanton" wrote:

I have a Delta Dust Collector with a cloth filter bag and a plastic chip
collector bag.

When the chip collector bag gets full I empty it and also shake out the
cloth bag. Is there a better way to clean the cloth bag? *Can they be
washed? How ofter should they be replaced?
Russ

Is the DC inside the shop, or outside? Except for emptying it when
necessary, I'd leave the cloth bag alone, especially if it's inside
the shop. The dust cake that develops helps to filter out a lot of the
smaller particles of dust from the air exiting the DC bag. Sure, you
can wash them, but why? I might replace the bag when my repairs start
needing repairs, but that's me. Tom

I also have a Delta DC, and I added a cyclone lid to a 30 gallon
garbage can just before the DC input. The lid was about $30, same for
the metal can. I hardly ever empty the chip catcher at all, except
when I forget to empty the garbage can. That usually happens about
10 boards into a new project. Otherwise, I never touch the chip
collector, and I have not even looked at the bag in 2 years.

My guess is that unless the DC is not pumping air thru the bag, leave
it alone, the fine dust is just helping the filtering. Hope this
helps.....
Posted to rec.woodworking

mac davis wrote:

I agree totally with the cyclone..
Mine is a fiber 50 gal. drum with plywood lid and as long as I keep it less than
3/4 full, it pretty much traps everything but fine dust..

I have a second drum in the chain and it seems to catch the fine dust
really well. I've been using the double-barrel approach for over six
years now and the DC collection bag is still empty (now dirtier on the
outside than on the inside).

The DC itself is the cheap HF 1-1/2 hp unit and my lids are the larger
LV clear separator lids. Adding the second drum hasn't seemed to have
significantly reduced the suck power of the DC. I'm a happy camper.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

mac davis wrote:

I agree totally with the cyclone..
Mine is a fiber 50 gal. drum with plywood lid and as long as I keep it
less than 3/4 full, it pretty much traps everything but fine dust..

I have a second drum in the chain and it seems to catch the fine dust
really well. I've been using the double-barrel approach for over six
years now and the DC collection bag is still empty (now dirtier on the
outside than on the inside).

The DC itself is the cheap HF 1-1/2 hp unit and my lids are the larger
LV clear separator lids. Adding the second drum hasn't seemed to have
significantly reduced the suck power of the DC. I'm a happy camper.

That sounds like a great idea. I really don't like having to empty the
bags, it always seems to require that third thumb to hold things in place.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 15:01:46 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

Morris Dovey wrote:

mac davis wrote:

I agree totally with the cyclone..
Mine is a fiber 50 gal. drum with plywood lid and as long as I keep it
less than 3/4 full, it pretty much traps everything but fine dust..

I have a second drum in the chain and it seems to catch the fine dust
really well. I've been using the double-barrel approach for over six
years now and the DC collection bag is still empty (now dirtier on the
outside than on the inside).

The DC itself is the cheap HF 1-1/2 hp unit and my lids are the larger
LV clear separator lids. Adding the second drum hasn't seemed to have
significantly reduced the suck power of the DC. I'm a happy camper.

That sounds like a great idea. I really don't like having to empty the
bags, it always seems to require that third thumb to hold things in place.

That, or get 3-4 3/4" rare earth magnets to stick over the bag to hold
it in place while you put the strap on.
Posted to rec.woodworking

The Delta I have, that started this thread has three springy clips that hold
the bag in place until you get the band clamp on the bag.

I appreciate the other comments and will leave the upper bag alone when I
empty the lower chip bag.

I have often thought about using a cyclone but then I could not roll the
Delta DC around my shop to get to various machines.
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
Morris Dovey wrote:

mac davis wrote:

I agree totally with the cyclone..
Mine is a fiber 50 gal. drum with plywood lid and as long as I keep it
less than 3/4 full, it pretty much traps everything but fine dust..

I have a second drum in the chain and it seems to catch the fine dust
really well. I've been using the double-barrel approach for over six
years now and the DC collection bag is still empty (now dirtier on the
outside than on the inside).

The DC itself is the cheap HF 1-1/2 hp unit and my lids are the larger
LV clear separator lids. Adding the second drum hasn't seemed to have
significantly reduced the suck power of the DC. I'm a happy camper.

That sounds like a great idea. I really don't like having to empty the
bags, it always seems to require that third thumb to hold things in place.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 12:06:01 -0600, Morris Dovey wrote:

mac davis wrote:

I agree totally with the cyclone..
Mine is a fiber 50 gal. drum with plywood lid and as long as I keep it less than
3/4 full, it pretty much traps everything but fine dust..

I have a second drum in the chain and it seems to catch the fine dust
really well. I've been using the double-barrel approach for over six
years now and the DC collection bag is still empty (now dirtier on the
outside than on the inside).

The DC itself is the cheap HF 1-1/2 hp unit and my lids are the larger
LV clear separator lids. Adding the second drum hasn't seemed to have
significantly reduced the suck power of the DC. I'm a happy camper.

Interesting idea, Morris, but not only overkill for my use (mostly turning) but
I can't spare the shop space.. There's just never is enough room, I guess..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 09:47:41 -0500, "Russ Stanton"
wrote:

The Delta I have, that started this thread has three springy clips that hold
the bag in place until you get the band clamp on the bag.

I appreciate the other comments and will leave the upper bag alone when I
empty the lower chip bag.

I have often thought about using a cyclone but then I could not roll the
Delta DC around my shop to get to various machines.

Might be easier to roll the cyclone around...
My barrel/drum is about 20 feet away from the DC..

I have a weird setup, I guess... The front wall of the shop has two large
windows with a 2' space between them, so I have the DC in one corner and the
cyclone in the other, near the lathes and bandsaw, to avoid blocking the
windows..

Morris Dovey wrote:

mac davis wrote:

I agree totally with the cyclone..
Mine is a fiber 50 gal. drum with plywood lid and as long as I keep it
less than 3/4 full, it pretty much traps everything but fine dust..

I have a second drum in the chain and it seems to catch the fine dust
really well. I've been using the double-barrel approach for over six
years now and the DC collection bag is still empty (now dirtier on the
outside than on the inside).

The DC itself is the cheap HF 1-1/2 hp unit and my lids are the larger
LV clear separator lids. Adding the second drum hasn't seemed to have
significantly reduced the suck power of the DC. I'm a happy camper.

That sounds like a great idea. I really don't like having to empty the
bags, it always seems to require that third thumb to hold things in place.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dust Collector Bag(great tip)

wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote:

mac davis wrote:

[...]

That, sir, is a tip I can use. Thank you!
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have the same Delta DC and would like to keep the DC. However, I have a
problem other owners may encounter. When you attached the plastic bag to the
three clips and attached the steel band, the steel band does not seal the
plastic bag tightly. Fine dust escape from the unseal sections of the plastic
bag. If you tighten by adjusting the steel band, it will collapse the steel rim.
I too would like replacing the lower plastic bag with a more simple disposal
container, any suggest?

Thanks

Do you have any pictures, or could you point to some on the web?

Could it be as simple as applying some foam weather stripping around the
container?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote:

mac davis wrote:

[...]

That is a good tip. Last time I put the bag on the DC I could use an
extra hand!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote:

mac davis wrote:

[...]

For sure. I love a good idea.. anybody's. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

I bought a bag full of magnets and I also use
them to hold dc bags.

Be aware that the rare earth guys are quite small
and flat. They can be a real bear to peel off of
a dc unit once they are in place.

Here is a slightly better choice with a little
handle...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...51&cat=1,42363

Robatoy wrote:

That, sir, is a tip I can use. Thank you!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 26, 4:16*pm, Pat Barber wrote:
I bought a bag full of magnets and I also use
them to hold dc bags.

Be aware that the rare earth guys are quite small
and flat. They can be a real bear to peel off of
a dc unit once they are in place.

Here is a slightly better choice with a little
handle...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...51&cat=1,42363

Living LARGE.....G

But you're right. Those wee ones are harder to get off than dogsnot
off a screen door.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...51&cat=1,42363

But you're right. Those wee ones are harder to get off than
dogsnot off a screen door.

And they can be colour coordinated. Could you ask for any more?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 26, 6:17*pm, "Upscale" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...51&cat=1,42363
But you're right. Those wee ones are harder to get off than
dogsnot off a screen door.

And they can be colour coordinated. Could you ask for any more?

They'll match up lovely with my plaid Speedos
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
And they can be colour coordinated. Could you ask for any more?

They'll match up lovely with my plaid Speedos

You just had to go and put that image in my head didn't you?

(must look away, must look away...... Arghggggggghhhhhhhh.........)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 27, 2:44*am, "Upscale" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
And they can be colour coordinated. Could you ask for any more?

They'll match up lovely with my plaid Speedos

You just had to go and put that image in my head didn't you?

(must look away, must look away...... * Arghggggggghhhhhhhh.........)

What??? You have something against plaid???

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

"Robatoy" wrote in message
And they can be colour coordinated. Could you ask for any more?

They'll match up lovely with my plaid Speedos

You just had to go and put that image in my head didn't you?

(must look away, must look away...... Arghggggggghhhhhhhh.........)

What??? You have something against plaid???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey, Nahm wears plaid!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

I should have mentioned that they are geared
toward the average kitchen.

Here is a more "macho" magnet.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...36&cat=1,42363

or

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...363,42348&ap=1

and make your own snazzy handles.

Robatoy wrote:

But you're right. Those wee ones are harder to get off than dogsnot
off a screen door.

JDS Dust Force or Harbor Freight dust collector? HerHusband Woodworking 4 October 28th 07 10:15 PM
Dust Collector Buster Woodworking 12 October 14th 05 05:31 AM
Anyone have a JDS Dust-Force dust collector? [email protected] Woodworking 4 August 15th 05 05:48 PM
Dust collector Justa Beginner Woodworking 5 April 2nd 05 12:47 PM
Dust Collector and compressing dust into burnable logs tiredofspam Woodworking 25 February 23rd 05 03:04 AM