Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lathe Face Plate

Hi Group, I'm starting to get back into woodturning and have a question
about face plates. I seem to remember from my junior high shop class (a
long,long time ago) that some of the face plates that were set up for
bowl turning had a piece of 3/4 plywood attached to them then a piece
of heavy paper glued on then the bowl blank was glued to that. My
question is was there any screws going into the bowl blank or is it
just held by the paper? BTW the lathe is an old Dunlap that I purchased
when I was in junior high and I've played with it off and on over the
years. I'm now retired and have more time and a real shop. Thanks, Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

James wrote:
Hi Group, I'm starting to get back into woodturning and have a question
about face plates. I seem to remember from my junior high shop class (a
long,long time ago) that some of the face plates that were set up for
bowl turning had a piece of 3/4 plywood attached to them then a piece
of heavy paper glued on then the bowl blank was glued to that. My
question is was there any screws going into the bowl blank or is it
just held by the paper? BTW the lathe is an old Dunlap that I purchased
when I was in junior high and I've played with it off and on over the
years. I'm now retired and have more time and a real shop. Thanks, Jim

Just the paper, I believe.
It's there to keep the glue joint from being permanent.

I've done the same thing without the paper, but using mdf on the
faceplate. You can pry the mdf off and sand down to the bowl (or in my
case, a drum shell). I suppose I could've used paper, too, to make it
easier.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Jan 14, 4:38 pm, "James" wrote:
Hi Group, I'm starting to get back into woodturning and have a question
about face plates. I seem to remember from my junior high shop class (a
long,long time ago) that some of the face plates that were set up for
bowl turning had a piece of 3/4 plywood attached to them then a piece
of heavy paper glued on then the bowl blank was glued to that. My
question is was there any screws going into the bowl blank or is it
just held by the paper? BTW the lathe is an old Dunlap that I purchased
when I was in junior high and I've played with it off and on over the
years. I'm now retired and have more time and a real shop. Thanks, Jim
--

Yep, just held by the paper. Glue_ both_ sides of the paper, one side
to the workpiece, the other side to a chunk of scrap that is screwed
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jim,

That's the way I learned to do faceplate turning too, and it does
work.

i used scrap hardwood rather than MDF or plywood, just cause its
stronger.

BUT...I wasted two years working with face plates instead of buying a
decent scroll chuck, and I regret it. The scroll chuck with a wood
worm screw is much more versitile, and lets me do all kinds of things
that a face plate didn't. (easy remounts, lidded bowls, adjusting
natural edge bowls for balanced appearance, remounting to polish wax
as some examples.)

I've launced a few bowls from glue block mountings, and from the
chuck--keeping them on the lathe is more a matter of how you cut than
the mounting method.

Yeah, a scroll chuck is expensive, but think of all the money you are
saving using the old lathe!

Old Guy

On Jan 14, 5:38*pm, "James" wrote:
Hi Group, I'm starting to get back into woodturning and have a question
about face plates. I seem to remember from my junior high shop class (a
long,long time ago) that some of the face plates that were set up for
bowl turning had a piece of 3/4 plywood attached to them then a piece
of heavy paper glued on then the bowl blank was glued to that. My
question is was there any screws going into the bowl blank or is it
just held by the paper? BTW the lathe is an old Dunlap that I purchased
when I was in junior high and I've played with it off and on over the
years. I'm now retired and have more time and a real shop. Thanks, Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:38:27 -0600, "James"
wrote:

Hi Group, I'm starting to get back into woodturning and have a question
about face plates. I seem to remember from my junior high shop class (a
long,long time ago) that some of the face plates that were set up for
bowl turning had a piece of 3/4 plywood attached to them then a piece
of heavy paper glued on then the bowl blank was glued to that. My
question is was there any screws going into the bowl blank or is it
just held by the paper? BTW the lathe is an old Dunlap that I purchased
when I was in junior high and I've played with it off and on over the
years. I'm now retired and have more time and a real shop. Thanks, Jim

Just the paper. This technique is used in other woodworking
applications to secure the piece temporarily. Without the paper
intercourse there is a glue joint.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Old Guy wrote:
i used scrap hardwood rather than MDF or plywood, just cause its
stronger.

Are you worried about strength when making a connection purposely weak?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 14, 9:16*pm, Old Guy wrote:

i used scrap hardwood rather than MDF or plywood, just cause its
stronger.

Agree on both points. MDF can come apart, and plywood will (unless
built up thickness of baltic birch) forever be out of balance.

BUT...I wasted two years working with face plates instead of buying a
decent scroll chuck, and I regret it. *The scroll chuck with a wood
worm screw is much more versitile, and lets me do all kinds of things
that a face plate didn't. *(easy remounts, lidded bowls, adjusting
natural edge bowls for balanced appearance, remounting to polish wax
as some examples.)

I used metal face plates for a couple of years, then bought a VicMarc
scroll chuck. It literally changed everything about bowl/box style
turning. I started planning the turning projects around the chuck.
Then I bought more jaws... then I bought another chuck, too!

If you are reluctant to buy a chuck due to its price, check this out;

http://www.theturnersshop.com/turnin...7/h6267-1.html

A lot of guys are using them, and with a quick tune up they seem to be
an excellent buy.

As always, just my 0.02

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 14, 10:16 pm, Old Guy wrote:
Jim,

That's the way I learned to do faceplate turning too, and it does
work.

i used scrap hardwood rather than MDF or plywood, just cause its
stronger.

BUT...I wasted two years working with face plates instead of buying a
decent scroll chuck, and I regret it. The scroll chuck with a wood
worm screw is much more versitile, and lets me do all kinds of things
that a face plate didn't.

Tried that, but my lathe doesn't have a spindle lock. Couldn't get it
all the way on with one hand. And then when I turned it around and
tried to use a forstner the bit wasn't happy about the hole in the
center. Didn't go too well for me and the woodworm.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 14, 5:38*pm, "James" wrote:
Hi Group, I'm starting to get back into woodturning and have a
question about face plates. I seem to remember from my junior high
shop class (a long,long time ago) that some of the face plates that
were set up for bowl turning had a piece of 3/4 plywood attached to
them then a piece of heavy paper glued on then the bowl blank was
glued to that. My question is was there any screws going into the
bowl blank or is it just held by the paper? BTW the lathe is an old
Dunlap that I purchased when I was in junior high and I've played
with it off and on over the years. I'm now retired and have more
time and a real shop. Thanks, Jim
--

That's one of the things I'm watching for. The lathe has a 3/4 X 16
thread but I've found a place where I can get a 3/4- 16 to 1 X 8

sealant for shower face plate aboleth UK diy 2 September 19th 07 08:34 PM
wood face plate Paul Gilbert Woodturning 16 January 7th 07 05:10 AM
Face Plate Bolts Pete Keillor Metalworking 5 November 27th 05 08:05 PM
Old Craftsman Lathe face plate needed Mike S. Woodturning 10 March 24th 05 07:23 AM
Face plate wanted Abrasha Metalworking 0 January 6th 05 07:30 PM