Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Beagles Are Not Pets

When I was a young fella - and by young I mean twelve - I wanted a
beagle to go hunting rabbits with me.

My Momma, being from stout stock, told me that I could not have one
because we lived in town - and beagles need to be in the country.

My Momma, being from stout stock, thought that living in town meant
that we had a neighbor nearer than shouting distance. It did't seem
like town to me.

I got over it.

When I got to be an older fella - and by older I mean fifty - my wife
gave me a beagle for Christmas.

We still lived in town by Momma's definition - and I no longer hunted.

Anyways, she who was to be known as Emma showed up in my life about
thirty eight years too late - but there she was.

Cute puppy.

Beagles are hounds and, if you've ever spent much time with hounds,
you know that you ain't ever going to truly housebreak them.

The woman who bought Emma for me also acted as the person who sent her
out of my immediate life - because Emma pooped on her good rugs - go
figure.

I was raised to know and I have always said that life in general is
divided into indoor dogs and outdoor dogs.

Hounds are outdoor dogs.

We sent Emma out to live with my Momma - who actually does live in the
country. We heard tonight that Emma was killed on the road.

I hope that she was baying in full voice.

I loved her both pup and dog.

tom
Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
[...]

She will "always" have a place in your heart Tom, never fear that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
[...]

I had a corgi that lived to 13 and was jealous of power tools and would make
an effort to wedge himself between me and the tool of the moment.
He died a natural death a couple of years ago and I still can't run a palm
sander without thinking of him, they get under your skin.

I also raise Treeing Walkers and occasionally I have someone that wants one
for a house pet. I've never told anyone no, but I do tell them if it
doesn't work out I'll take the hound back and refund their money.

These dogs eat enormous quantities of food, crap piles that would make a
T-rex proud, bark at 120db and cover vast distances in just a few bounds.
They are not house dogs, they need acres of property to keep them in.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry to hear of Emma's demise. Hounds are great dogs and deserve our
love.

My own hound story...

In 1954 when I was a freshman in college - fresh out of the USN - I lived
the first semester in a fraternity house. One day one of the brothers
brought home an elderly black & tan hound to be the chapter's mascot.

I don't know where he found the dog but he (dog, not brother) was very old
and nearly blind from cataracts. He also had a few shotgun pellets in him
so I always suspected that he had outlived his usefulness to his original
owner so said owner had taken him out in the woods to dispatch him but
bungled the job.

Well, after a couple of weeks the powers that be among the brothers decided
that an old, nearly blind hound was too much trouble so they gave him to a
commercial biological lab. No problem with the dog pooping/****ing inside,
BTW.

Biological labs do terrible, awful things to animals...things I do not agree
with so I reclaimed him and took him to my mother's home some 120 miles
away. "Look, mom - I brought you a new dog!". She was not thrilled but,
being a mother, let him stay.

He got along well with the little old lady terrier mom already had and the
terrier was quite taken with him. He went totally blind in a year or so but
had learned his way around before hand...he could find his way around the
house and yard with zero problems. No pooping nor ****ing problems either.
He was a good dog; always friendly, loving and amiable. And smart. And
enthusiastic - ask him if he wanted to go for a walk and he was READY!!
Woofing and dancing...

I would see him whenever I came home at a holiday but that wasn't all that
often and after graduating I moved far away and saw him not at all. The
terrier - Trixie - had died while I was in college. He missed her but
adapted. He died a couple of years after I graduated. I have no idea how
old he actually was but he was ancient - my guess is 20+. His name was Sam.
Wish I had been able to spend more time with him.

As I said, hounds are great dogs and deserve our love.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom,

Sorry to hear about your loss. Thanks for sharing.

Here's my Beagle story:

My daughter was 7 or 8 when this happened. She was walking down the sidewalk
to her friends house. It was a gorgeous spring day and we had the front door
open. Seconds after she left the house I heard blood curdling screams from
my daughter getting ever closer to the house. I ran to the door to see what
her terror was. There was a cute beagle puppy at her heals! He just wanted
to play. She was terrified! As I comforted her I was chuckling and the puppy
was jumping up trying to get our attention.
Kristen is 19 now and still not much of a dog person.

cm

I never own a dog that can **** bigger than I.

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
[...]

When I was about 11, I was awakened by a Beagle pup being thrown into bed
with me. My father had brought him home as a present as I was starting to
hunt rabbits and squirrels on my own. (We lived on the edge of town). They
say you get one good dog in your life and he was definitely it. He never
gave up on a rabbit until it went down a hole or I shot it. When it was
time to go home, I would have to hide behind a tree and tackle him as he ran
by because if he thought I was quitting he wouldn't come near me. At that
time, you just didn't tie your dogs up...they were left out and came in when
they were a mind to. We would hear him running rabbits and whatever other
scent he came on, sometimes all night near the house. Twice, he was picked
up by someone, probably while doing this and always just before rabbit
season. We got him back both times as I suppose he wasn't ready to quit and
the person who had taken him was and just left him in the field. Once, he
was found some thirty miles away. 'course he might have run a deer that far
but at that time there weren't any deer in Northern Illinois, that we knew
of. My dad and I finally decided it was time to start tieing him up when he
was out of the house as it was hunting season and there were more cars on
the roads. My mother came home from work that day not knowing of our
decision..felt sorry for him on the rope and let him loose to run. He
didn't come home and we finally found him laying dead along a road about 4
miles from the house a few days later. It was the week before Christmas and
I still remember crying for a week. My wife doesn't understand why to this
day I still get sad at Christmas time. Prince was his name and he truly was
one.

Tom G.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 3, 2:08*pm, "Tom G" wrote:

[...]

Could read the rest of this... got something stuck in my eye....
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote:

[...]

Sorry for your loss, it's tought to loose a dog.

For a minute there I thought you were describing my dearly departed
mother.

"Dogs belong outside, and in the country where they can run free, not
be tied up in the city." was her credo.

None of my dogs never set foot inside the house.

There are dogs and then there are hounds.

Hounds want to earn their keep.

Dogs are content just being dogs.

I'm reminded of an old CW tune by Shep Woollys/p that starts out,
"... just a boy and his dog Ole Shep was his name...........,"