Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default Beagles Are Not Pets

When I was a young fella - and by young I mean twelve - I wanted a
beagle to go hunting rabbits with me.

My Momma, being from stout stock, told me that I could not have one
because we lived in town - and beagles need to be in the country.

My Momma, being from stout stock, thought that living in town meant
that we had a neighbor nearer than shouting distance. It did't seem
like town to me.

I got over it.

When I got to be an older fella - and by older I mean fifty - my wife
gave me a beagle for Christmas.

We still lived in town by Momma's definition - and I no longer hunted.

Anyways, she who was to be known as Emma showed up in my life about
thirty eight years too late - but there she was.

Cute puppy.

Beagles are hounds and, if you've ever spent much time with hounds,
you know that you ain't ever going to truly housebreak them.

The woman who bought Emma for me also acted as the person who sent her
out of my immediate life - because Emma pooped on her good rugs - go
figure.

I was raised to know and I have always said that life in general is
divided into indoor dogs and outdoor dogs.

Hounds are outdoor dogs.

We sent Emma out to live with my Momma - who actually does live in the
country. We heard tonight that Emma was killed on the road.

I hope that she was baying in full voice.

I loved her both pup and dog.

tom
Regards,

Tom Watson