Posted to rec.woodworking

Default hookup shopvac to RAS

I recently purchased a Craftsman RAS and a hd shop vac.
After hooking up the vac hose to the exhaust port on the RAS I was
quite disappointed to see all the sawdust flying out the front of the
blade.
Any ideas on how to contain the dust using the vac?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/25/08 12:55 PMDec 25, "
wrote:

I recently purchased a Craftsman RAS and a hd shop vac.
After hooking up the vac hose to the exhaust port on the RAS I was
quite disappointed to see all the sawdust flying out the front of the
blade.
Any ideas on how to contain the dust using the vac?

What do you mean when you say that the sawdust flied out the front? Do you
really mean out the back (that part away from you)?

I built a hood out of some thin plywood and connected my dust collector to
the that. It helps quite a bit, but radial arm saws tend to throw sawdust
everywhere.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I recently purchased a Craftsman RAS and a hd shop vac.
After hooking up the vac hose to the exhaust port on the RAS I was
quite disappointed to see all the sawdust flying out the front of the
blade.
Any ideas on how to contain the dust using the vac?

At one time Craftsman made a plastic chute that was mounted on the rear
table behind the blade. You fastened the 2-1/2" vac hose to it to suck the
sawdust away as you cut. I have one along with an electrical box to start
the vac when the RAS starts. I got that box from Woodcraft.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have the Sears dust collector for the saw, which is a plastic hood that bolts
to the rear of the table directly in the path of the flying sawdust. It can be
swiveled around a bit to point at the blade when it is mitering. A shop vac
plugs in right where the sawdust hits, it shoots straight down the hose. It
works rather well, but I'm not sure if they still sell it. I have seen others
that were homemade of sheet metal.

That's what I do.
All I use is the fat floor nozzle that came with my wet/dry vac.
Like this one:
http://xrl.us/nozzle

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a 6 X 10 X 4 inch deep box behind the blade on my RAS. it sits
just beside and to the rear of the column. It sucks with only a 2"
hose. I also collect sawdust from the output on the blade guard. Works
pretty well, but the hose on the blade guard gets in the way now and
then.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------------

wrote:

I recently purchased a Craftsman RAS and a hd shop vac.
After hooking up the vac hose to the exhaust port on the RAS I was
quite disappointed to see all the sawdust flying out the front of the
blade.
Any ideas on how to contain the dust using the vac?

ShopVac bags - discount source? Jay Pique Woodworking 1 October 26th 08 09:53 PM
ShopVac Deal Malcolm Hoar Home Repair 9 November 24th 07 02:57 PM
Using a canister vac instead of a shopvac? Toller Woodworking 5 June 18th 07 11:10 PM
Best and strongest shopvac [email protected] Metalworking 13 April 26th 06 06:50 AM
ShopVac as a DC unit Ron Woodworking 7 February 18th 06 04:38 AM