Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Gloat/whine (humor intended)

Well yesterday I picked up another (it's my third!) Delta 6 x 48
belt sander from and ad on Craig's List. This one is a late 40's
version with open, bolt together frame (with the flared legs/feet).
Paid $100 for it and it is in almost showroom condition but all
orginal paint. All decals complete, no wear on any of the belt covers
and the table shows no signs of edge damage. I missed the chance to
buy the guy's Brazilian made 13 inch Delta planer but he still had the
Brazillian made 8 inch Delta jointer in his trailer. ((Hey Dave in
Parkville MD. The guy is up the road from you in Fallston. I had to
drive past Parkville to get there.))

My whine is that I am addicted to Craig;s List. I know parents can
install a V chip- or some acronym - to block pornographic sites but I
am wondering if I can install a C chip to block Craig's Lists from
coming in. No, there is no way I can voluntarily avoid checking out
the tool lists. I have no willpower. I need real roadblocks, real
deterrents, to keep me from buying redundant tools just because they
look cool or ar older than me. I keep telling myself "you don't need
it" but I still try to buy it, and sometimes I am successful. Why, oh
why do I do this?

Oh well, enough whining, back to my shop - edging cherry ply with
solid cherry for some speaker cabinets - after this necessary coffee
break.

Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 07:09:28 -0800 (PST), marc rosen
wrote:

[...]

I looked for a C chip (for Craig's List) and an F chip (for
freecycle.org) and couldn't find either.

My 18volt Ryobi One+ drill (with battery) came from Freecycle; then I
spent $19 for the dual-chemistry (nicad and lithium) one hour charger
from the scratch & dent rack at the orange borg.

drill press - Craig's List
bandsaw - Freecycle
gas powered blade edger - Freecycle
bicycle for granddaughter - Freecycle

My name is John and I'm an addict ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
My name is John and I'm an addict ;-)

Welcome to the group John.

My name is Dave and I'm an addict too.
I buy tools and I don't even have a workshop.

Anybody else want to say hi to the group?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"marc rosen" wrote in message

My whine is that I am addicted to Craig;s List. I know parents can
install a V chip- or some acronym - to block pornographic sites but I
am wondering if I can install a C chip to block Craig's Lists from
coming in. No, there is no way I can voluntarily avoid checking out
the tool lists. I have no willpower. I need real roadblocks, real
deterrents, to keep me from buying redundant tools just because they
look cool or ar older than me. I keep telling myself "you don't need
it" but I still try to buy it, and sometimes I am successful. Why, oh
why do I do this?

There has been a LOT of good stuff showing up on Craig's List over the past
three-four months and much of it at very good prices. This past week a Saw
Stop cabinet saw along a shop full of other nice tools was listed. I suspect
economic conditions are forcing people to liquidate some of their assets.
It's sad that folks are in bad shape but I've thought that if I had the cash
and space to store the stuff for a couple years there are lucrative
arbitrage opportunities out there... Toward that end, my wife caught me
looking at a pristine Walker Turner jointer (looked 8-10" wide) for $200
and knew I already had a big jointer.... "You don't need that" I was told in
no uncertain terms. LOL I just looked and someone snapped it up so the point
is moot... ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 15:09:28 +0000, marc rosen wrote
(in article
):

Well yesterday I picked up another (it's my third!) Delta 6 x 48
belt sander from and ad on Craig's List.

If you lash them together, belt side down, you should be able to make quite a
serviceable off-road vehicle that has the unique benefit of not drawing
criticism for roughing up the terrain

probably

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bored Borg wrote:
On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 15:09:28 +0000, marc rosen wrote
(in article
):

Well yesterday I picked up another (it's my third!) Delta 6 x 48
belt sander from and ad on Craig's List.

If you lash them together, belt side down, you should be able to make quite a
serviceable off-road vehicle that has the unique benefit of not drawing
criticism for roughing up the terrain

probably

yahbbut the extension cord is a bitch.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
wrote in message
My name is John and I'm an addict ;-)

Welcome to the group John.

My name is Dave and I'm an addict too.
I buy tools and I don't even have a workshop.

Anybody else want to say hi to the group?

Hi. My name is Morris and I've been new tool free for two months now...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 20, 12:43*pm, jo4hn wrote:
Bored Borg wrote:
On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 15:09:28 +0000, marc rosen wrote
(in article
):

* *Well yesterday I picked up another (it's my third!) Delta 6 x 48
belt sander from and ad on Craig's List.

If you lash them together, belt side down, you should be able to make quite a
serviceable *off-road vehicle that has the unique benefit of not drawing
criticism for roughing up the terrain

probably

yahbbut the extension cord is a bitch.

Only when you get to the end of it....100 yards short of the pub.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 20, 10:09 am, marc rosen wrote:

My whine is that I am addicted to Craig;s List. I know parents can
install a V chip- or some acronym - to block pornographic sites but I
am wondering if I can install a C chip to block Craig's Lists from
coming in. No, there is no way I can voluntarily avoid checking out
the tool lists. I have no willpower. I need real roadblocks, real
deterrents, to keep me from buying redundant tools just because they
look cool or ar older than me.

Okay, just give me your checkbook, atm card and pin, and I will make
sure you only have money in the account when you're approved to make a
purchase.

I have a 12" Leigh dovetail jig you're approved to buy

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bored Borg wrote:

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 15:09:28 +0000, marc rosen wrote
(in article
):

Well yesterday I picked up another (it's my third!) Delta 6 x 48
belt sander from and ad on Craig's List.

If you lash them together, belt side down, you should be able to make
quite a
serviceable off-road vehicle that has the unique benefit of not drawing
criticism for roughing up the terrain

probably

Something more serviceable:
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/12/20/video-the-greatest-fitness-invention-ever/

Posted to rec.woodworking

marc rosen wrote:

[...]

Drink enough Bourbon to make it unsafe to drive, the additional shipping
cost will prevent you from buying anything of any size.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 18:06:42 +0000, Robatoy wrote
(in article
):

On Dec 20, 12:43*pm, jo4hn wrote:
Bored Borg wrote:
On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 15:09:28 +0000, marc rosen wrote
(in article
):

* *Well yesterday I picked up another (it's my third!) Delta 6 x 48
belt sander from and ad on Craig's List.

If you lash them together, belt side down, you should be able to make
quite a
serviceable *off-road vehicle that has the unique benefit of not drawing
criticism for roughing up the terrain

probably

yahbbut the extension cord is a bitch.

Only when you get to the end of it....100 yards short of the pub.

The pub down our road has been granted an extension for the holidays...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 20, 12:43*pm, jo4hn wrote:
Bored Borg wrote:
On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 15:09:28 +0000, marc rosen wrote
(in article
):

* *Well yesterday I picked up another (it's my third!) Delta 6 x 48
belt sander from and ad on Craig's List.

If you lash them together, belt side down, you should be able to make
quite a
serviceable *off-road vehicle that has the unique benefit of not drawing
criticism for roughing up the terrain

probably

yahbbut the extension cord is a bitch.

Only when you get to the end of it....100 yards short of the pub.

The pub down our road has been granted an extension for the holidays...

G Where is that pub? Is it a genuine old pub?
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Marc,

Hope all is well with you.

Craigslist is great. I picked up an Ingersoll Rand compressor last
month the thing is in mint condition. I wish I had room for an 8 inch
jointer.

Going to the wood show this year? I have been progressively
disappointed over the last couple of years.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Marc,

Hope all is well with you.

Craigslist is great. *I picked up an Ingersoll Rand compressor last
month the thing is in mint condition. *I wish I had room for an 8 inch
jointer.

Going to the wood show this year? *I have been progressively
disappointed over the last couple of years.

Hey Dave,
Thanks for the well wishes and I hope all is wel with you too.
Yes, I am heading to the show, most likely on Friday since that is a
Holiday at my job (which means I still have to go in but not as many
hours.) It has been decreasing in vendors, etc, since I began going
but it is still fun. If any RECDOTTERS go to the show look for me.
I'm the old guy with a beard and a ballcap.

Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 05:19:06 +0000, Robatoy wrote
(in article
):

ausgesnipt

yahbbut the extension cord is a bitch.

Only when you get to the end of it....100 yards short of the pub.

The pub down our road has been granted an extension for the holidays...

G Where is that pub? Is it a genuine old pub?

IT IS TRULY HORRIBLE
THERE IS NOT A SINGLE SEAT IN THE PLACE WHERE YOU CAN'T SEE THE "BIG SCREEN
T.V!" damn the caps lock sorry which the Pakistani manager has installed
twelvefold around the place - all permanently screaming sports channel or
Asian musicals.
Because of the smoking ban which England introduced last year, he has roofed
over the back yard in a sort of cloister and installes - wait for it - Big
Screen T.V! - out there, so the pub regulars - mainly permanently-shouting
AsianSubContinental youth aged up to about 25 - all sit outside in the
smoking shelter, leaving the huge pub almost empty but still unusable by
anyone wanting to have a conversation or not be hypnotized by Bollywood or
soccer. Damned shame 'cos they have a sub-let area in there where a guy turns
out stunningly good tandoori food and barbecue kebabs and, of course, curry.
There is another tiny bar which is the length and width of a darts-playing
area which is permanently full of extremely drunken older Irish folk who seem
to be in that state from well before lunchtime. In there, the Big Screen T.V.
is permanently on but also permanently on is a jukebox playing Irish ballads,
drinking songs and rebel ditties at ear-splitting volume so you have to use
sign language to order anything at the bar while keeping eyes wide open to
avoid any stray darts which you are now standing in the playing area of and
which will have been thrown by persons of guaranteed insobriety

At least since the smoking ban it's now possible to see the bar without using
foglights or radar, but you can get a nicotine hit just by brushing the
clothes of anyone of the regulars in there or even disturbing the "carpet"
with your feet. It feels like wading through an abandoned, glue-covered
ashtray

The outside of the pub is a genuine old pub, It's a lovely old building and
approached from the Ring Road it looks like a little traditional village
green type place... what was that word again for something that looks great
for a distance BUT..

a Monet?

I really wish it were otherwise. Years ago it was an Irish pub with a warm
welcome, roaring fires and good Guinness where locals would meet up and talk,
drink and slide down their seats quietly and with good grace and the landlord
would buy you an occasional drink and make sure everybody was happy.
Now it caters entirely to swarthy bling-covered youngsters who like drinking
high-proof lager (but can't handle it) don't know what standing in line means
and every one of them is louder than every other one of them and OMIGOd,
doesn't this make me sound like an Old Fart sounding off about "youth of
today"

?

Lovely.

I'm going away for Christmas, staying with friends who own a proper
old-fashioned pub with home cooking and a choice of a dozen real ales, no
jukebox or fruit machines...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 15:19:46 +0000, Bored Borg wrote:

IT IS TRULY HORRIBLE
THERE IS NOT A SINGLE SEAT IN THE PLACE WHERE YOU CAN'T SEE THE "BIG
SCREEN T.V!" damn the caps lock sorry which the Pakistani manager has
installed twelvefold around the place - all permanently screaming sports
channel or Asian musicals.
Because of the smoking ban which England introduced last year, he has
roofed over the back yard in a sort of cloister and installes - wait for
it - Big Screen T.V!

You need a TV-B-gone. Don't let them figure out it's you doing it
though....

Posted to rec.woodworking

"PCPaul" wrote in message news:V_u3l.9628

IT IS TRULY HORRIBLE
THERE IS NOT A SINGLE SEAT IN THE PLACE WHERE YOU CAN'T SEE THE "BIG
SCREEN T.V!" damn the caps lock sorry which the Pakistani manager has

You need a TV-B-gone. Don't let them figure out it's you doing it
though....

http://www.tvbgone.com/cfe_tvbg_main.php

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 17:55:42 +0000, Upscale wrote
(in article ):

"PCPaul" wrote in message news:V_u3l.9628

IT IS TRULY HORRIBLE
THERE IS NOT A SINGLE SEAT IN THE PLACE WHERE YOU CAN'T SEE THE "BIG
SCREEN T.V!" damn the caps lock sorry which the Pakistani manager has

You need a TV-B-gone. Don't let them figure out it's you doing it
though....

http://www.tvbgone.com/cfe_tvbg_main.php

Thanks

Checked it out

$*39.94* shipped to U.K.

I might go for this in New Year some time.
In the short term there's probably not much point as I'm not likely to be
desperate enough to go in and endure the place.

Oh yes.. the fruit machines
These all have full-volume kerchunk whirr whirr whirr diddly-diddly Klaxx
Klaxx Klaxx Klaxx Klaxx soundtracks as well., complete with hypnotic
spinning spiral patter lights which constantly draw your attention even from
the periphery of your vision.
Any concealable, reusable device that will remotely melt the innards of these
damned things will DEFINITELY get my money.

Fast epoxy makes them unplayable but doesn't stop the nuisance factor.

i DID use insulated wire cutters, once, on a juke box but that led to strong
words.
(this was in a room which had been booked for a meeting where the manager
refused to disable the machine, which was hard wired to the wall. Same pub,
strangely enough, many years ago) We didn't get banned - he liked the trade -
but he DID put in an in-line switch afterwards.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

My local Freecycle is OK, I got my lathe and a nice pneumatic drill
from there. Had to repair the lathe, though. Not that I'm complaining!
Craigslist is pretty boring, though. People keep putting up stuff
that's way off-price. We're talking gussied up benchtop table saws for
$500. He keeps re-posting it, too. Since I started looking 2+ years
ago, I don't think I've seen a single cabinet saw come through, only a
sprinkling of way overpriced RASs, and any number of Harbor Freight
tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

yahbbut the extension cord is a bitch.

That doesn't stop these guys!