Posted to rec.woodworking

Default #&%@ borer in old toy?

Have a small tree toy that I made 2 years ago that for some reason now
has borer/woodworm dust coming from some little holes in the stem.
Anybody have any ideas of something that I can squirt down the holes to
exterminate them. As its a toy I don't want anything too toxic so the
kids can still play with it. I have a syringe and I was thinking of
trying some linseed oil that would evaporate after its done some damage
to the pesky little var or something like that. What about isapropel
alcohol as in CD cleanmits.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 16, 7:11*am, dean wrote:
Have a small tree toy that I made 2 years ago that for some reason now
has borer/woodworm dust coming from some little holes in the stem.
Anybody have any ideas of something that I can squirt down the holes to
exterminate them. As its a toy I don't want anything too toxic so the
kids can still play with it. I have a syringe and I was thinking of
trying some linseed oil that would evaporate after its done some damage
to the pesky little var or something like that. What about isapropel
alcohol as in CD cleanmits.

You can try diatomaceous earth. It'll pierce the exoskeleton and kill
the bugs, and if you buy the right stuff, it's safe enough to drink in
a glass of water. I know it works on bugs like roaches and other pests
of that nature, but I don't know how it'll work on something like
this.

Here's a link for more information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

-Nathan
Posted to rec.woodworking

dean wrote:
Have a small tree toy that I made 2 years ago that for some reason now
has borer/woodworm dust coming from some little holes in the stem.
Anybody have any ideas of something that I can squirt down the holes to
exterminate them. As its a toy I don't want anything too toxic so the
kids can still play with it. I have a syringe and I was thinking of
trying some linseed oil that would evaporate after its done some damage
to the pesky little var or something like that. What about isapropel
alcohol as in CD cleanmits.

Nuke it in the microwave oven.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote:

Nuke it in the microwave oven.

Mikey likes it.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dean - if you nuke it you may not kill the big(s) before warping your
toy and cooking the finish. As a woodturner, many of us turn green
wood that has bugs in it along with other annoying things and the
microwave is something I have used to dry wood and kill bugs.

I can tell you from experience you can ruin a small wood project very
easily in the microwave. It heats from the inside out, and you may
not see the damage you do to the piece until it cools.

My suggestion (and from personal experience) is to put the toy in a
bag and toss it in the deep freeze for a couple of weeks. No
chemicals, no possibility of warping wood and no damage to your
finish.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"N Hurst" wrote in message
On Dec 16, 7:11 am, dean wrote:
[...]

Strongly some one that I worked with years ago had a roach crawl into his
ear and begin scratching around while he was a sleep. He was in
excruciating pain and when he arrived at the ER they poured alcohol in to
his ear. Out popped the roach.

Or if there is no metal in the toy, nuke it for a few seconds in the
microwave.

Posted to rec.woodworking

napalm.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 23:11:10 +1100, dean wrote:

Have a small tree toy that I made 2 years ago that for some reason now
has borer/woodworm dust coming from some little holes in the stem.
Anybody have any ideas of something that I can squirt down the holes to
exterminate them. As its a toy I don't want anything too toxic so the
kids can still play with it. I have a syringe and I was thinking of
trying some linseed oil that would evaporate after its done some damage
to the pesky little var or something like that. What about isapropel
alcohol as in CD cleanmits.

As I have read a few replies, try a larger contractor garbage bag.
Fumigate it, auto exhaust might work.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Markem" wrote in message

As I have read a few replies, try a larger contractor garbage bag.
Fumigate it, auto exhaust might work.

Mark

Power mower exhaust would be better. Cars have very little CO these days
due to the CAT converter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 16, 4:11*am, dean wrote:
Have a small tree toy that I made 2 years ago that for some reason now
has borer/woodworm dust coming from some little holes

I like the microwave idea, but if the materials are incompatible
it can bollix the finish/glue/sap. If you can fit the toy into a
kitchen oven, just a few minutes at/above 160 F will kill most
insects and their eggs and even fungus. That's how
kiln dried lumber is insect-purged. It may soften glue and
sap, of course.

The core of the wood should get hot enough in 15 mnutes at
200 F, and that won't harm paint.

Insects may flee their burrows, be prepared to remove the evidence
before anyone cooks in the oven...