Posted to rec.woodworking
davy[_3_] davy[_3_] is offline

Default #&%@ borer in old toy?

wrote:
Dean - if you nuke it you may not kill the big(s) before warping your
toy and cooking the finish. As a woodturner, many of us turn green
wood that has bugs in it along with other annoying things and the
microwave is something I have used to dry wood and kill bugs.

I can tell you from experience you can ruin a small wood project very
easily in the microwave. It heats from the inside out, and you may
not see the damage you do to the piece until it cools.

My suggestion (and from personal experience) is to put the toy in a
bag and toss it in the deep freeze for a couple of weeks. No
chemicals, no possibility of warping wood and no damage to your
finish.

Robert

Too big for my deep freeze.
45cmx x 42cms x 32cms