Posted to rec.woodworking
N Hurst N Hurst is offline

Default #&%@ borer in old toy?

On Dec 16, 7:11*am, dean wrote:
Have a small tree toy that I made 2 years ago that for some reason now
has borer/woodworm dust coming from some little holes in the stem.
Anybody have any ideas of something that I can squirt down the holes to
exterminate them. As its a toy I don't want anything too toxic so the
kids can still play with it. I have a syringe and I was thinking of
trying some linseed oil that would evaporate after its done some damage
to the pesky little var or something like that. What about isapropel
alcohol as in CD cleanmits.

You can try diatomaceous earth. It'll pierce the exoskeleton and kill
the bugs, and if you buy the right stuff, it's safe enough to drink in
a glass of water. I know it works on bugs like roaches and other pests
of that nature, but I don't know how it'll work on something like
this.

Here's a link for more information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

-Nathan