Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I must have a lost cousin

OK, it's that time of year. What to get Robert... no one knows, not
even me. Any tool I NEED, I usually buy if practical. Any tool I
NEED that will make me money repairin' or remodelin', I usually have
or will buy.

So mebbe a tool I wouldn't normally buy for myself. Been eyeballing
those oscillating multitools, and saw the Dremel today at the big
Orange box. Ouch. Looks like a toy. Feels like a toy. Didn't feel
solid or look well put together. The accessories looked to be really
poor (keep in mind, no testing, just observing) quality.

When back home, I was looking around in the 'net and checked to see
where the Rockwells were landing with folks that used them, and I ran
across this (I assume) from Rockwell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew7ZJx0e1ag&feature=related

I guess I can take their word that it is a sturdy, well operating
tool. I laughed so damn hard I almost fell out of the chair. What a
test - I have to be related to this guy. If I was the tool tester for
the company, you bet I wold try this. I love it.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

Well, it is a valid test. You see, Robert, this is an electric hammer!

And you never have to pull out a nail if you screw up. Just cut them off!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

When back home, I was looking around in the 'net and checked to see
where the Rockwells were landing with folks that used them, and I ran
across this (I assume) from Rockwell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew7ZJx0e1ag&feature=related

I guess I can take their word that it is a sturdy, well operating
tool. I laughed so damn hard I almost fell out of the chair. What a
test - I have to be related to this guy. If I was the tool tester for
the company, you bet I wold try this. I love it.

ROTFL ... I'll wait until it's got a drill on the other end, and the cord
can be used to pull stumps. Head's up Swiss Army!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 13, 1:54*am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

Well, it is a valid test. You see, Robert, this is an electric hammer!

And you never have to pull out a nail if you screw up. Just cut them off!

Aha!

I got it now! That black string looking thingy coming out of the back
is probably just a tether so you can keep up with it, and the lack of
claws indicates a true "professional model".

There must be something wrong with me. I watched it again and laughed
my ass off all over again.

I can hear in my mind " I am sick and damn tired of being compared to
Fein. Let's see that little orange sombitch do this!"

Wham! Wham! Wham! Buzzzzzz...

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

There must be something wrong with me. I watched it again and laughed
my ass off all over again.

I can hear in my mind " I am sick and damn tired of being compared to
Fein. Let's see that little orange sombitch do this!"

Wham! Wham! Wham! Buzzzzzz...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nothing wrong with you Robert. We live in a sea of mediocrity. When
something comes along that is the absolute antithesis of this crap, we are
delighted.

And you have to give them points for an innovative demonstration of their
tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What a
test - I have to be related to this guy. If I was the tool tester
for
the company, you bet I would try this. I love it.

While working as a detail draftsman early in my career, my project
engineer relayed the following tale.

Earlier in his career, this engineer worked for a company that had an
employee, who while quite dedicated, broke everything he touched.

The general manager didn't want to fire a dedicated employee, but he
had to stop the destruction.

His solution was to create the position of "New product tester".

Put this guy in a room, by himself, and let him play which every new
prototype product.

It was sort of like the idea of care and feeding of a mushroom.

Put him in a place by himself, feed him a lot of stuff, and he won't
hurt anybody except maybe himself

When he would damage some part, the engineers would redesign it to
survive this guy.

Never did find out if the company stayed competitive, but it was a
good story, and let me goof off listening to it for a few minutes.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I had a software company that retained *my* services for that purpose.
They'd just send me a new product, with _no_ documentation and have me
play with it. They figured that if it survived _two_days_ in my hands,
it was safe to ship to customers.

The funny part of it was that a big part of _why_ I was so valuable to
them was that I didn't know sh*t about what their product did. So, I'd
just crank it up, and try things that "seemed reasonable" _to_me_. That
approach found a *lot* of things that weren't covered by the people who
coded only for what the *knowledgeable* user would 'expect' the software
to do. A bunch of the 'problems' I provoked ended up being classified
by the company as "d*mn! That's a _good_ idea. why _doesn't_ our stuff
do that when asked to?" And got implemented in the next iteration.

Another former employer learned to absolutely _cringe_ when I came to him,
regarding _in-house_ production practices, and said "I've just discovered
thus-and-such isn't being handled, and I'm concerned about the consequences
if _this_ happens." Almost invariably, within (at most) two weeks, the
aforementioned "this" *would* happen. *Entirely* without my having anything
to do with provoking it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robert Bonomi" wrote

Another former employer learned to absolutely _cringe_ when I came to him,
regarding _in-house_ production practices, and said "I've just discovered
thus-and-such isn't being handled, and I'm concerned about the
consequences
if _this_ happens." Almost invariably, within (at most) two weeks, the
aforementioned "this" *would* happen. *Entirely* without my having
anything
to do with provoking it.

I am certain that some folks thought that you, somehow or another, actually
caused those events. Or maybe that you had some kind of disaster
precognition.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 13, 7:49*pm, (Robert Bonomi) wrote:
In article ,

Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

[...]

When I was developing loudspeakers in the late 70's/early 80's, I
would test their 'roadworthyness' by dropping off a pair at my buddy's
house, with a couple of Crown DC 300 amps and 2 or 3 cases of beer and
a quarter of hash.
I knew I had a winner when when I walked in the next morning, smelled
that unmistakable scent of boiled ferro-fluid and the damn speakers
still worked. I invariably had to step over a few bodies on the way to

Mission accomplished.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 13, 12:31*am, "
wrote:
OK, it's that time of year. *What to get Robert... no one knows, not
even me. * Any tool I NEED, I usually buy if practical. *

Need?!!

PRACTICAL????!!!!!!!

You're gonna lose...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 13, 1:31 am, "
wrote:

When back home, I was looking around in the 'net and checked to see
where the Rockwells were landing with folks that used them, and I ran
across this (I assume) from Rockwell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew7ZJx0e1ag&feature=related

I guess I can take their word that it is a sturdy, well operating
tool.

This reminds me of a story from one of my professors who used to work
at Gilette. Seems the competition came up with an ad where they took
one of gilette's razors, stuck a screwdriver in the head and snapped
it apart. Then they did the same thing to theirs and it didn't
break. And this was so powerful a demonstration that even though it
had nothing to do with the actual quality of the razor Gilette had to
come up with a new production method and retool the factories to make
a razor that wouldn't come apart when you stuck a screwdriver in it.

It's all just marketing. Nowadays they would just add another damn
blade on the thing.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

That reminded me of the B&D packaged Butter Knife and single High Heel, sold
as a woman's hammer and screw driver set. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

house, with a couple of Crown DC 300 amps

Now that's a product, appropriate to this thread, that has/will withstand
years of untold abuse!

I've actually witnessed one turned on its side and placed under the bumper
of the equipment van as an aid to jack it out of a mud hole, fired it up at
the gig the next night, and it kept on rocking ... probably still is.

AAMOF, I still have three of the original vintage in the studio that are at
least forty years old and still going strong.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 14, 11:58*am, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

house, with a couple of Crown DC 300 amps

Now that's a product, appropriate to this thread, that has/will withstand
years of untold abuse!

I've actually witnessed one turned on its side and placed under the bumper
of the equipment van as an aid to jack it out of a mud hole, fired it up at
the gig the next night, and it kept on rocking ... probably still is.

AAMOF, I still have three of the original vintage in the studio that are at
least forty years old and still going strong.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Same could be said for their reel-to-reel decks. A little rough
sounding at times, but always on the job.

I lost it. Please Help me. rickluce Woodworking 11 September 19th 05 05:05 PM
Help...I lost my post Frank Thomas Electronics Repair 3 November 14th 04 02:31 PM
Lost Files Zakes Electronics Repair 2 October 31st 04 04:56 AM
TV Set Lost Sound Major Tom Electronics Repair 2 July 5th 04 11:01 AM
TV lost picture then lost sound.. Jason Electronics Repair 2 May 16th 04 02:42 PM