Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anyone else shooting blanks?

No, it's not a personal problem. Well....it sort of is... On a
couple of my nailer/staplers I've got dry-fire lockout, and on a few
more I don't. Well I've now decided that all future pneumatic
fastening devices will be equipped with it. It's not a huge deal, I
know, but it's just one less thing to worry about. I was gluing and
stapling a whole bunch of cleats this past week, and ran out of
staples. I went to pull the section out of the jig, and the cleat
came off in my hand. Unfortunately I had run out about 7 cleats ago.
Now, I'd like to think that I'd get to a point where I was just soooo
in the moment, all of the time, that I'd be fully aware of my staple
situation (in addition to all the other "situations" which can come up
without warning throughout this process called woodworking.) But I
doubt it. And as such, I'm now a dedicated lock-out guy.

Meliora, baby.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote in news:d3ac50cd-14e1-4246-8079-
:

[...]

My HF nailer occasionally shoots blanks, fully loaded. About that time I
add a bit of air tool oil, and try again. Sometimes I need to reseat the
nail cassette.

There is a difference between when the nail is actually shot and when
it's not. The gun kicks back ever so slightly, making a slightly
different noise and having a slightly different feel.

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

My Stanley trim nailer does the same thing and it can be frustrating.
Seems like a very easy thing to design and implement, mechanically.

Makes me wonder if the newer model has it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

There is a difference between when the nail is actually shot and when
it's not. The gun kicks back ever so slightly, making a slightly
different noise and having a slightly different feel.

Puckdropper

I can feel the difference with a framer, but not with my little trimmer.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 7, 1:28*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
There is a difference between when the nail is actually shot and when
it's not. *The gun kicks back ever so slightly, making a slightly
different noise and having a slightly different feel.

Puckdropper

I can feel the difference with a framer, but not with my little trimmer.

Yeah - some you can sort of feel it. The stapler in question is a
Senco SKS-L, and it's pretty beefy. I (obviously!) can't feel the
difference with it.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
I can feel the difference with a framer, but not with my little trimmer.

I can't feel it with my FN-250B, but I can hear it if I'm paying attention.
It's a different sounding "thunk".

Of course, when the piece of wood I just nailed falls onto the floor, it
also occurs to me that the nailer might be out of nails.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

I sure wish my flooring stapler had it. if it runs out when i'm nailing
straighter than average boards, i could conceivably get more than a few
boards down without realizing that i'm out. Conceivably. Hypothetically.
Not that it's ever happened of course.

jc

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
[...]

Been shooting blanks ever since the vasectomy in '76.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 20:09:28 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

Jay Pique wrote:
[...]

I knew someone would say it, Doug, and should have picked your number in the
pool..
Great minds Do think alike!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Donkey's-ear shooting board Lowell Holmes Woodworking 6 June 30th 08 04:56 AM
Best plane for shooting [email protected] Woodworking 37 August 24th 07 11:53 PM
Shooting Board Arthur 51 UK diy 7 July 19th 07 08:06 PM
Shooting Board John Grossbohlin Woodworking 0 July 18th 06 01:14 AM