Drew

Default Need to buy a planer...DW735 or other info needed.

I have a Craftsman 13" portable planer (paid $158 on clearance 6 months
back), it works fine for the likes of poplar and construction grade
woods...but have need to plane hard maple for major kitchen renovation. I
have some trials with some hard maple in shop, and am experiencing tear out
(this was not quilted or burled wood).

Considering the Dewalt 735 with its 3 blade and slower feed rate option.

Anyone have experience to offer using on hard maple.

Thanks in advance.
Drew

ClemsonDave

I have the 13" Delta, love it. I do quite a bit with hard and BE maple.
Try wetting the maple before planing or joining. I wipe with a damp rag,
wait apx. 1 min, then wipe off.

Of course, if you are looking for an excuse, go spend the money, more power
is always a help.

dave

"Drew" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I have a Craftsman 13" portable planer (paid $158 on clearance 6 months
back), it works fine for the likes of poplar and construction grade
woods...but have need to plane hard maple for major kitchen renovation. I
have some trials with some hard maple in shop, and am experiencing tear

out
(this was not quilted or burled wood).

Considering the Dewalt 735 with its 3 blade and slower feed rate option.

Anyone have experience to offer using on hard maple.

Thanks in advance.
Drew

gabriel

Drew wrote:

Considering the Dewalt 735 with its 3 blade and slower feed rate
option.
Anyone have experience to offer using on hard maple.

Works fine. If you feed the hard maple sideways, watch out, the dust
ejection system may get clogged with the long maple shavings.

--
gabriel

Scott

"Drew" wrote in message thlink.net...
I have a Craftsman 13" portable planer (paid $158 on clearance 6 months
back), it works fine for the likes of poplar and construction grade
woods...but have need to plane hard maple for major kitchen renovation. I
have some trials with some hard maple in shop, and am experiencing tear out
(this was not quilted or burled wood).

Considering the Dewalt 735 with its 3 blade and slower feed rate option.

Anyone have experience to offer using on hard maple.

Thanks in advance.
Drew

Just ran my first piece of wood (red oak) through my new 735, and it's
very cool! I think I can throw away my stash of sandpaper . . .
Don't know about maple, though at the slow speed it should be no
factor (and slow speed is still faster than you would rip on a TS).

Cheers,

Scott

Eric

I haven't had any problems with Hard Maple on the DW735 - even at
dimensioning speed. Same for figured Maple. Leaves a pratically no-sand
surface.

"Drew" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I have a Craftsman 13" portable planer (paid $158 on clearance 6 months
back), it works fine for the likes of poplar and construction grade
woods...but have need to plane hard maple for major kitchen renovation. I
have some trials with some hard maple in shop, and am experiencing tear

out
(this was not quilted or burled wood).

Considering the Dewalt 735 with its 3 blade and slower feed rate option.

Anyone have experience to offer using on hard maple.

Thanks in advance.
Drew

Drew

Brian wrote:

Are the knives still sharp? And are you orienting the grain properly

though
the machine to try avoiding chipout ?

Knives still very sharp, owned for 6 months but used only recently, and very
little.

Orienting wood correctly, not end grain or against grain during pass through
planer.

Drew

Well, thank you for all the feedback. I think I will purchase the DW735 as
it seems vastly superior to this "deal" I thought I had. Perhaps someone
locally has need of a decent 13" dimensioning planer for construction work.
It really is good for what it is capable of doing. I should be able to
recoop the 150 bucks.

I did a little calculating....
Craftsman unit:

8000 rpm x 2 blades
23 fpm x 12 in

The DW735 boasts 96 or 179 cpi, nearly twice the cuts per inch in
dimensioning mode. 3 times as many in finish mode. I can't argue with the
math. When I purchased the Craftsman I new it was a good deal @ 158
bucks...but had little experience at the time with planers, now that I have
the need to process hard maple, the inadequacies of the lesser machine are
evident.

Drew