Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Veritas Block Planes - improved functionality?

I see that LV has added a couple new block planes to their line.
(Also discussed in Mr. Ferrarri - Meet Mr. Stanley, etc..) They are
certainly different looking animals, no question. But looks aside,
are these planes going to function better than the current blocks they
make? My guess is that they've realized that there is a large market
for collectable tools - helped by the success of their stainless edge
trimming plane - and are going to be introducing more tools of this
nature. I just hope that they continue to offer high quality working
tools at a fair price.

That said, I see that they've introduced a western dovetail saw at
$65, which seems eminently reasonable. Good on ya, Lee Valley.

JP
***********************
I fear change.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
But looks aside,
are these planes going to function better than the current blocks they
make?

There are some functional improvements:
1) rust-resistant body on the higher-end version
2) setscrew to keep from bashing the nose piece into the blade
3) retainer screw on the adjuster mechanism
4) enclosed nose (so you can't accidentally hit the nose and change your
mouth adjustment)
5) possibly a better "fit" to the hand...I'd have to use one for a while
to be sure

On the downside, there's less side registration if you want to shoot
with it, and there's no O1 blade available.

My guess is that they've realized that there is a large market
for collectable tools - helped by the success of their stainless edge
trimming plane - and are going to be introducing more tools of this
nature. I just hope that they continue to offer high quality working
tools at a fair price.

They are (to both). There are four planes coming out for underl $100 in
the next year, and there will also be additional premium planes as well
as at least one more backsaw.

Rob Lee has said that a huge demand for the premium block plane would be
a problem...their margins are too slim.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
More about the thoughtful details here

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...ockPlanes.html

Thanks. But link was dead for me. This worked:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...lockPlane.html