Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Scarf jointing fascia boards

Fitting a number of new fascias to a new project.
Paid extra to get 1" finished thickness softwood & moulding I wanted.

For joints mid run, intend using 45 degree scarf joints (lined up over
rafter end) .... should these be glued or left dry ?

Finish will be dark wood stain.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Osprey wrote:
Fitting a number of new fascias to a new project.
Paid extra to get 1" finished thickness softwood & moulding I wanted.

For joints mid run, intend using 45 degree scarf joints (lined up over
rafter end) .... should these be glued or left dry ?

Doesn't make much real difference -- I usually glue if weather suitable
mostly for the sealing effect. Same thing essentially w/ simply good
job of priming the cut ends. I prefer a longer cut than a 45, but
that's just a preference; no real functional reason.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Osprey" wrote:

Fitting a number of new fascias to a new project.
Paid extra to get 1" finished thickness softwood & moulding I
wanted.

For joints mid run, intend using 45 degree scarf joints (lined up
over
rafter end) .... should these be glued or left dry ?

Finish will be dark wood stain.

45 on 1" material isn't much of a scarf compared to a normal 8:1 or
10:1, I typically see.

Have you thought about adding biscuits to strengthen joint and hold
pieces in position?

I'd definitely use glue.

YMMV

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 24 Nov, 23:02, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Osprey" wrote:
Fitting a number of new fascias to a new project.
Paid extra to get 1" finished thickness softwood & moulding I
wanted.

For joints mid run, intend using 45 degreescarfjoints (lined up
over
rafter end) .... should these be glued or left dry ?

Finish will be dark wood stain.

45 on 1" material isn't much of ascarfcompared to a normal 8:1 or
10:1, I typically see.

Have you thought about adding biscuits to strengthen joint and hold
pieces in position?

I'd definitely use glue.

YMMV

Lew

Good idea ... I can go longer than 45 degree ... not sure what compund
mitre score will allow ... probabky down to 20 or so.

I did think of biscuits ... when I originally was going to but
joint .... are biscuits messy to install on mitre cuts ?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Osprey" wrote:

Good idea ... I can go longer than 45 degree ... not sure what
compund
mitre score will allow ... probabky down to 20 or so.

Don't gain enough to be bothered IMHO.

.... are biscuits messy to install on mitre cuts ?

Not if you have the tooling.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Osprey" wrote
Fitting a number of new fascias to a new project.
Paid extra to get 1" finished thickness softwood & moulding I wanted.

For joints mid run, intend using 45 degree scarf joints (lined up over
rafter end) .... should these be glued or left dry ?

Common practice in this area is to NOT glue scarfed facia joints.

AAMOF, I don't think I've ever seen it done, and would expect that most
cornice crews around here would fall off the scaffolding if you asked them
to do it.

FWIW ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

scarf jointing fascia boards Osprey UK diy 2 November 25th 08 09:12 PM
uPVC Fascia cover boards kitey UK diy 1 May 19th 08 08:59 PM
Garage fascia boards: replace with uPVC [email protected] UK diy 0 February 20th 06 08:53 AM
Proper way to attach fascia boards [email protected] Home Repair 5 June 22nd 05 08:21 PM
Jointing boards with a router Garry Collins Woodworking 8 August 10th 04 03:09 AM