Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default scarf jointing fascia boards

Fitting a number of new fascias to a new project.
Paid extra to get 1" finished thickness softwood & with the Taurus
moulding I wanted.

For joints mid run, intend using 45 degree scarf joints (lined up over
rafter end) .... should these be glued or left dry ?

Finish will be dark wood stain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Osprey" wrote in message
Fitting a number of new fascias to a new project.
Paid extra to get 1" finished thickness softwood & with the Taurus
moulding I wanted.

For joints mid run, intend using 45 degree scarf joints (lined up over
rafter end) .... should these be glued or left dry ?

Finish will be dark wood stain.

This any help? http://www.diynot.com/pages/ww/ww017.php

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Nov, 11:23, " wrote:
For joints mid run, intend using 45 degreescarfjoints (lined up over
rafter end) .... should these be glued or left dry ?

Alternatively you could join them at ground level (assuming you and a
mate can lift a full-length run into place).

Then you could aim for the joints to fall between rafters, and butt
join them, along with an additional timber plate on the back - glued
and screwed into place.

This approach would have the advantage of getting thefasciaperfectly
straight (assuming the building is straight enough to accomodate it!)

Regardless of what approach you use - polyurethane glue is good for
closing up and sealing watertight joints.

I would think most installers are much less fussy - at best you'd get
some paint on the end grain of a buttjointon a rafter end.

I agree ... on installers, I will even be coating rear of fascias with
stain, as it help uneven moisture absorption.

Had a tip to make scarf joint more longer i.e. much more acute than 45
degree ...

Jointing up lengths and reinforcing with back timber seems a good
idea, I could add some biscuits as well.

Just routed a 10mm slot along all the lengths to take soffits .... so
pre-jointing seems like another 'prep job' that may be worth doing.

uPVC Fascia cover boards kitey UK diy 1 May 19th 08 08:59 PM
Garage fascia boards: replace with uPVC [email protected] UK diy 0 February 20th 06 08:53 AM
Proper way to attach fascia boards [email protected] Home Repair 5 June 22nd 05 08:21 PM
Jointing boards with a router Garry Collins Woodworking 8 August 10th 04 03:09 AM
Knot holes bleed through painted fascia boards Ray K Home Repair 6 July 22nd 04 01:40 AM