Posted to rec.woodworking
Osprey Osprey is offline

Default Scarf jointing fascia boards

On 24 Nov, 23:02, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Osprey" wrote:
Fitting a number of new fascias to a new project.
Paid extra to get 1" finished thickness softwood & moulding I
wanted.

For joints mid run, intend using 45 degreescarfjoints (lined up
over
rafter end) .... should these be glued or left dry ?

Finish will be dark wood stain.

45 on 1" material isn't much of ascarfcompared to a normal 8:1 or
10:1, I typically see.

Have you thought about adding biscuits to strengthen joint and hold
pieces in position?

I'd definitely use glue.

YMMV

Lew

Good idea ... I can go longer than 45 degree ... not sure what compund
mitre score will allow ... probabky down to 20 or so.

I did think of biscuits ... when I originally was going to but
joint .... are biscuits messy to install on mitre cuts ?