Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mr. Ferrarri - Meet Mr. Stanley (Veritas Nov. 24th UNVEILING?)

I don't know if this is THE NOVEMBER 24TH UNVEILING Lee Valley/Veritas
has been hinting at, but the new(?) Veritas (R) Block Planes (DX60 Block
Plane and the NX60 Premium Block Plane - $179 & $279 respectively)
appear to have used extensive wind tunnel testing during the design
phase.

Up to now, Veritas has taken tried and true hand tools and improved
their functionality, ease of use AND ergonomics. Now, with their new
dovetail saw, and these two new block planes - they've added
aerodynamics and pizzaz to the product line - and a Stylist to their
design team.

I hope the design team remembered to put a hand brake on those block
planes because without one I'm sure they'll zooooooom off your bench the
minute you set them down.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...63&cat=51&ap=1
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...74&cat=1,42884

This is Tool Porn taken to the next level.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
[...]

Damn!

What type of fuel/propusion system do those planes use?

I am not sure that I am ready for this new development in neander tools. At
least they are not some kind of hitachi sport shoe color scheme.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 24, 11:23*am, charlieb wrote:
[...]

Form follows function. Fabulous styling as a result.
Robin Lee will likely order his Ferrari, just off the sales of these
products alone. G
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Hmmm.... It's not April 1st, is it?

Note to L-N: Objects in the rear view mirror may be closer than they
appear.

Joe

"charlieb" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
: I don't know if this is THE NOVEMBER 24TH UNVEILING Lee Valley/Veritas
: has been hinting at, but the new(?) Veritas (R) Block Planes (DX60 Block
: Plane and the NX60 Premium Block Plane - $179 & $279 respectively)
: appear to have used extensive wind tunnel testing during the design
: phase.

: Up to now, Veritas has taken tried and true hand tools and improved
: their functionality, ease of use AND ergonomics. Now, with their new
: dovetail saw, and these two new block planes - they've added
: aerodynamics and pizzaz to the product line - and a Stylist to their
: design team.

: I hope the design team remembered to put a hand brake on those block
: planes because without one I'm sure they'll zooooooom off your bench the
: minute you set them down.

: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...63&cat=51&ap=1

Those planes are much more beautiful than any Ferrari. Better car comparison
is an Aston-Martin, classic Jaguar, or the amazing '30s cars that
were on display at the Phoenix Art Museum's Curves of Steel show in
2007, some of hich can be seen at
http://www.phxart.org/exhibition/exhibitioncurves.aspx

My hat is off to Lee Valley -- amazing design.

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andrew Barss wrote:
charlieb wrote:
[...]

Those are some great cars! I think the new planes remind me most of
the BMW Mille Miglia, though:
http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/phot...lia_Photo.aspx

My hat is off to Lee Valley -- amazing design.

Yeah. Now I know why I've been putting off buying a block plane for the
last year--I was subconsciously waiting for these ones!

Posted to rec.woodworking

the BMW Mille Miglia, though:http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/phot...40-BMW-328-Mil...

My hat is off to Lee Valley -- amazing design.

Yeah. Now I know why I've been putting off buying a block plane for the
last year--I was subconsciously waiting for these ones!

The ONLY BMW product I ever took a liking to....

....aside from the r69 bike. http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photos/phot...omas%20(2).jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 25, 11:19 am, "Colin B." wrote:
Andrew Barss wrote:
charlieb wrote:

[snip]

last year--I was subconsciously waiting for these ones!

The ONLY BMW product I ever took a liking to....

...aside from the r69 bike. http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photos/phot...omas%20(2).jpg

Here's my ride to the post office:
http://www.seriouswheels.com/1960-19...r-1024x768.htm

beware of old coots,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

charlieb wrote:
[...]

I was at the Ottawa Wood Show yesterday and fondled these beauties. I've
been on again, off again with the Wreck of late, and hadn't been looking
at the LV What's New section so I wasn't looking for the planes.

But when I strolled through their booth the two stopped me cold. Every
bit as nice as the pics, if not better because you can feel how they fit
in the hand.

Stunning was the only word I could use. The dovetail saw is a treat too.
The beauty of LV is that they keep coming up with wonderful new Veritas
objets d'art.

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote

The beauty of LV is that they keep coming up with wonderful new Veritas
objets d'art.

There are certain industries that must come up with new products all the
time or they will perish. I don't know if Lee Valley fits that catagory or
not, But they certainly do a good job coming up with the new products on a
semiregular basis.

And the ever growing number of quality products can't hurt either. They are
definitely doing something right.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:

Stunning was the only word I could use. The dovetail saw is a treat too.
The beauty of LV is that they keep coming up with wonderful new Veritas
objets d'art.

Rumor has it that Rob Lee left the nickel allow version outside for a
week. NO rust!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

(snip)
Form follows function. Fabulous styling as a result.
Robin Lee will likely order his Ferrari, just off the sales of these
products alone. G

(Late to the party)

Bite your tongue....!

We sell Gardening tools too... it's hybrids for me....

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message

(snip)

Rumor has it that Rob Lee left the nickel allow version outside for a
week. NO rust!

Hi Barry -

You peekin' in my backyard???

Some spotting after a few weeks - but it comes right off with an SOS pad...

Cheers -

Rob

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rob Lee wrote:

"B A R R Y" wrote in message

(snip)

Rumor has it that Rob Lee left the nickel allow version outside for a
week. NO rust!

Hi Barry -

You peekin' in my backyard???

Some spotting after a few weeks - but it comes right off with an SOS pad...

Cheers -

Rob

So Veritas is working on an improved version of SOS pads?
Will you leave no stone unturned?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:04:37 -0500, "Rob Lee"
wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message

(snip)
Form follows function. Fabulous styling as a result.
Robin Lee will likely order his Ferrari, just off the sales of these
products alone. G

(Late to the party)

Bite your tongue....!

We sell Gardening tools too... it's hybrids for me....

There are electric cars that cost and exceed the speed limit about the
same as a Prancing Horse.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rob Lee" writes:

(Late to the party)

Bite your tongue....!

We sell Gardening tools too... it's hybrids for me....

No Tesla?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rob Lee" writes:

"Robatoy" wrote in message

(snip)
Form follows function. Fabulous styling as a result.
Robin Lee will likely order his Ferrari, just off the sales of these
products alone. G

(Late to the party)

Bite your tongue....!

We sell Gardening tools too... it's hybrids for me....

There is always Tesla Motors for the rich green's.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rob Lee" wrote in message

"Robatoy" wrote in message

(snip)
Form follows function. Fabulous styling as a result.
Robin Lee will likely order his Ferrari, just off the sales of these
products alone. G

(Late to the party)

Bite your tongue....!

We sell Gardening tools too... it's hybrids for me....

Is may 86 year old dad going to like the $69 stapler that I bought him,
listed in your Christmas catalog?? ;~) It looks very nice.