Mike H.

Default Follow Up- Hand Plane Comparison: Stanley vs. Veritas

I just wanted to say thanks for all of the replies. I think I'll go for the
Veritas... I don't have a clue how to fine tune a new Stanley, and I would
much rather start learning with a good quality plane fresh out of the box.
I'll save the fine tuning lessons for later (except for the sharpening
skills).

Silvan

Mike H. wrote:

I just wanted to say thanks for all of the replies. I think I'll go for
the Veritas... I don't have a clue how to fine tune a new Stanley, and I
would much rather start learning with a good quality plane fresh out of
the box. I'll save the fine tuning lessons for later (except for the
sharpening skills).

Nice choice, Richie Rich. Buy one each of all the other Veritas planes
too, for me. I keep shoving them to the bottom of my someday list.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Brian in Vancouver, BC

"Mike H." wrote in
:

I just wanted to say thanks for all of the replies. I think I'll go
for the Veritas... I don't have a clue how to fine tune a new Stanley,
and I would much rather start learning with a good quality plane fresh
out of the box. I'll save the fine tuning lessons for later (except
for the sharpening skills).

Good choice. Remember that you will probably pass these on to your kids
when you go, so it will be nice to leave them the quality. Any time I
buy low end I always regret the choice later unless I give up with the
hobby/craft. Then I end up wanting to replace with better quality once I
start using the tool (or camera) and realize its usefulness.

(Want to buy a slightly used band saw?)

Brian
Silvan

Brian in Vancouver, BC wrote:

(Want to buy a slightly used band saw?)

The 9" benchtop?

I almost bought one of those, but I figured I'd be better off just to wait
until I can afford a real one.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Jonathan

(Want to buy a slightly used band saw?)

The 9" benchtop?

I almost bought one of those, but I figured I'd be better off just to wait
until I can afford a real one.

They can be made usable... I just got one of the $87 Ryobi's from HD and
set it up as best as I could according to the Duginske book. The main
problem I had with it was all the phillips head fasteners were loctited in
so hard, I had to destroy them to get them off. I had to either file the
edges flat so I could get a wrench on it or use a dremel cutting wheel to
cut a slot to get it off with a flat screwdriver. After I got that all
sorted, I put a decent blade on it, and it works out okay for my space
limited shop in the upstairs bedroom of my house. I'm also currently
overhauling a friends 1943 Delta bandsaw and borrowing some shop space out
in the country for it, but the Ryobi will be handy for light use.

But I also have two Lie Nielsen planes, so I don't know what I'm thinking.

Jon